Phenom II 955 Overclocks

Sponchae

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
What is everyone's luck with overclocking the Phenom II 955 with just using the stock HSF? I have one on it's way to me right now, along with some Arctic Silver 5, but don't feel the need to get a new HSF, at least right away. Just wondering if anyone has had amazing luck getting it to go close to 4ghz using the stuck HSF, or if 3.4-3.6 is the best you've seen.

loneninja

Distinguished
Personally I got to 3.5Ghz with the 940 using the stock heatsink. I need 1.375V to get there, and hit about 58C in prime95. Can't go any higher due to an unknown increase of voltage needed for 3.6, I know 1.45V isn't enough and even at that the stock cooler isn't efficient enough anyways.

You will not be able to get 4Ghz with stock cooling, many have not been able to reach 4Ghz with an aftermarket cooler.

3.5/3.6Ghz is as far as I would go with the stock cooler. Ambient temp plays a huge roll as well when it comes to pushing your CPU with a stock cooler...

xAPOCALYPSEx

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
With a slight voltage increase you may be able to pull off 3.7. I have, though it will run hot. However, I have tried 3.6 on the stock cooler and without running any benchmarks, just playing a few games (MW2, Empire: Total War, Dragon Age, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance) and I had no trouble, max recorded temp while playing any of those was around 62 (which is also it's max safe temp) I am a heat freak, so I freaked out anyways and unoverclocked it. Its a fast processor anyways, and I don't really see the need for it to go any faster, especially if your risking it with the stock cooler.

Sponchae

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
For those that have overclocked, have you noticed any difference? Is getting another 200Mhz on each core worth it, considering how fast this processor already is?