Sign in with
Your question

Should I buy this motherboard from newegg.com?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 7, 2010 4:01:55 AM

I was looking through newegg for a new x58 motherboard when I came across this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's an open box asus rampage II extreme from newegg and I wanted if it was worth the savings of $85 to risk buying an open box motherboard. I have read reviews from others who say that some of their motherboards hadn't come with accessories and manuals and so on. I just want to know if it's worth the risk. Thanks

More about : buy motherboard newegg

March 8, 2010 12:38:37 AM

NO! it is not worth the risk believe me dont buy on the cheap especially online were you cant inspect it yourself before you buy. there have been stories of people receiving visibly damaged goods and there could have been no way it worked and couldnt get a refund because of the open box policy. do yourself a favor if you can go buy any mobo from a microcenter or a computer store that has what your looking for at a good price. i bought a mobo off of newegg just last week and the cpu and the mobo did not work so not only do i have to package and resend them i have to wait another 10 days before i get any of them back and theres no guarantees that what i will receive will work. newegg is great yes but every now and then you could get a crapper in the box and if you have to rma your stuck waiting for another week so do yourself a favor buy that from a place like microcenter were you can just go in and get a new one the same day should your mobo not work that is
Related resources
March 8, 2010 4:05:34 PM

malael said:
there have been stories of people receiving visibly damaged goods and there could have been no way it worked and couldnt get a refund because of the open box policy...i bought a mobo off of newegg just last week and the cpu and the mobo did not work so not only do i have to package and resend them i have to wait another 10 days before i get any of them back and theres no guarantees that what i will receive will work.

Dear malael,

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Please kindly note that Open Box items are refundable per their return policy, especially if damaged is involved. We need to be told of damage immediately so the appropriate actions can be taken.

In regards to your return, I apologize that your item was defective and invite you to contact me if any issues arise with the replacement so further assistance can be obtained. You can e-mail me at Joshua.L.Key@newegg.com or call me at 800-390-1119 ext 25092.

Thank You,
Newegg.com
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2010 4:09:58 PM

I'm with noels, except that I'd get the Asus P6X58D Premium. You'd get a better board out of it.

Also, open box pretty much means that you'll need to buy everything else that comes with the board normally. That alone will make it more expensive than the above.
a c 292 V Motherboard
March 8, 2010 4:26:35 PM

^+1, and very good mobo BUT I CAN'T SEE THE TIME WARRANTY.
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2010 4:49:03 PM

I'd agree with Mad admiral and the others Here is the New egg return policy on OPEN BOX items with a couple things bolded to be aware of (usually makes the small price reduction they give for buying such items not worth the trouble !!)

Quote:
This is our Detailed Open Box Item Return Policy. Newegg often sells items that are listed as "open-box." Because these items are sold at greatly reduced prices, they are subject to a limited refund-only return policy. Such items can only be returned within 30 days of the applicable invoice date. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA. Newegg cannot provide replacement service for these items, as their stock is limited. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of these items is with the buyer. These items have been tested for functionality, but may have superficial physical defects including, but not limited to, scratches, dings or dents. Should these items exhibit a functional defect following their purchase, the buyer (not the manufacturer, distributor, or Newegg) assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repairs, unless otherwise required by law. These items are not covered by any 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

If you purchase an Open-Box product Newegg guarantees only that you will receive the product itself; accessories MAY OR MAY NOT BE INCLUDED with Open-Box products. Newegg will not send you a missing accessory, even if the missing accessory is required in order to properly make use of all the product’s advertised functions.

So be wary of buying anything that needs accessories like The back panel plate, Wiring such as various cables normally included (ie. SATA drive cables which can be expensive to purchase seperately) as they only guarantee that the MOBO will be included !! and any other missing pieces are your responsibility to locate - also the 30 day return policy is from the date you order it to the date they recieve it back so you have about a week from delivery to shipping it back ( figure 1 week each way in transit, and 1 week in clearing your order and processing at the warehouse and then contacting them and getting an RMA number to send it back (and they will not accept returns for dissatisfaction or the pieces missing not to mention if you do get them to accept a return You need to pay shipping to send it back and once they recieve it to process the RMA the missing accessories are grounds for them not accepting the return and shipping it back to you again at your cost !!

Quote:
# Products that are not eligible for return and will be sent back to you at your cost and expense if received by us:

* Any product not purchased from Newegg.com
* Any product without a valid, readable serial number, including but not limited to products with missing, damaged, altered, or otherwise unreadable serial number
* Any product that is returned without all original packaging and accessories, including the retail box, manuals, cables, and all other items originally included with the product

So be very careful before ordering Open BOX ( Even though thier rep states they are returnable he also qualifies that response with Open Box items are refundable per their return policy which states they will not accept it and will charge you for declining the RMA and reshipping it back to you if the acessories you did not even recieve are not included in the box when you ship it back !!)
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2010 4:55:18 PM

@saint: Do you mean the length of the warrant on the P6X58D Premium? It's 3 years...
a c 292 V Motherboard
March 8, 2010 4:56:53 PM

MadAdmiral said:
@saint: Do you mean the length of the warrant on the P6X58D Premium? It's 3 years...

No, of the ASUS not, I mean of the open box mobo.
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2010 5:31:56 PM

Quote:
What is an Open Box item?
Open Box items have been opened and touched and/or returned. Because they originate from different situations, they may or may not include accessories, documentation or retail packaging. Refurbishment is done by the manufacturer. Open Box products are warranted for only 30 days. We recommend that you try out your Open Box product immediately after receiving it.

30 days.
a c 292 V Motherboard
March 8, 2010 5:40:44 PM

^30 days for a mobo that cost $275 isn't a good deal.
!