Dyzasta70

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Hello all,

Firstly my comp isnt a homebuilt and it has been working perfectly until now.

So today while taking a coffee break from my computer my dog decides to run behind it and pull the power lead out... now when i try power up - the light surrounding the power button on the front panel lights up but thats about it - no fan motion , no noises at all.

a friend has been around and had a look at it for me - he disconned ram , drives, cards etc etc still nothing - then connected the psu to a tester box - according to him the psu is working perfectly - its either the motherboard or the processor.

My question is - is there a way to find out which one ?

system:-
AMD phenom 9550 quadcore
foxconn a6vmx mb
gforce 8400gs
3gb ddr2

dunno if thats all you need to know or not ( as you can prolly tell im crap with tech stuff !) if theres any further info you need please lemme know and ill try find out.

Thanks in advance
Dyz

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Hmmm,I do not know if this will work with today's stuff,but it used to work a few years ago when pc'c locked up,with your system off disconnect the 20+4 pin main and the 4pin for the cpu,,,now replug the system into the outlet do not turn it on,leave it for no more than 5 minutes,years ago when systems locked up,for any reason we used to take the tag ram off and ground it,replace it, and then it worked fine,or you can take your cpu to a local shop and have them test it for you. :)

First thing, a PSU that is supplying power is not necessarily working. That power has to fall within certain parameters.

Did this friend test all of the rails for precise voltage levels?

Beyond that, I can say that between the two parts, the motherboard is going to be the more delicate part that is more likely to be damaged. The only way to know for sure is to test the CPU in anther board.