AM2 with X2 4600 --- Upgrade advice requested

the_last_name_left

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I've spent a while operating under the delusion that my M2N Sli-Deluxe could take PhenomIIs. Apparently it doesn't.

SO, now I have something of a dilemma:

1) opt for the fastest CPU my present board will take - apparently a discontinued Phenom X4 9950 (120W), or

2) I will need a new (old) AM2/AM2+ board, so that I can keep my 5 Gb of 5400 DDR2 as I upgrade to a PhenomII 965 - apparently supported by Asus M2N8 Plus and SE (which look pretty crummy), OR

3) I will need a new AM3 M/B - which will also require changing out my (PC5300) RAM.

I'd appreciate some upgrade advice, especially if there are some major issues with any of the options above. Obviously I'd like to keep the costs as low as possible, else I'd just go out and buy an I7 with all the gubbings. But what I'm after is any known issues with these options, and some available, relevant bargains, if anyone knows of any. :)

Present spec:

AMD X2 4600 (Windsor)
ASUS M2N-Sli Deluxe
5Gb 5300 DDR2
OCZ 520 PSU
1 PCI soundcard
2 SATA HDD
IDE DVD
ATI4850
Win7

Thanks in advance..........

For future purposes, the best options (albeit not the cheapest) is to go for it all.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE (instead of 965 to save money) $166
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674

AMD Phenom II 965 BE (140W) $186
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103692&cm_re=phenom_ii_x4_965-_-19-103-692-_-Product

AMD Phenom II 965 BE (125W) $196
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727&cm_re=phenom_ii_x4_965-_-19-103-727-_-Product

AM3 Motherboard
4GB DDR3 RAM

The PII 955 performs pretty close to the 965, and is cheaper. That will give you a little extra money to play with as far as RAM and motherboard are concerned, without really having to sacrifice much performance wise.

If you are considering upgrading to an AM2/AM2+ motherboard, you might as well upgrade to AM3 to be honest. Why upgrade to AM2 when it's being/going to be phased out anyhow? You're still a step behind from a technical standpoint.

Also, although the Phenom X4 9950 would be a lot better than what you have, the original Phenom X4's frankly weren't very good. Not to say they're worthless, but the Phenom II X4's really are what the original Phenom X4's were supposed to be.

Here's a combo deal on an AM2+/AM3 board and PII 955 for $250, and it uses DDR2.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.299393

xaira

Distinguished
i looked at ur boards cpu support list and it appears it doesnt officially support am3 cpus but you can still try, borrow a friends and try it, cant hurt

the_last_name_left

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
thanks for the (swift) replies.

@jerreece - yes, you're right, but I don't have the funds to upgrade everything, else I'd certainly be going your suggested route.

You really don't think there's much more performance to be gained from a phenomv1 over old 4600 X2? Even if it's only £80 ($120?)

I guess that's something I was hoping to clarify. Plus, I don't mind being behind the leading edge. :) It's cheaper......that's why my preference is for an upgrade, not a rebuild. But yeah, I'm running out of options, it seems. ah heck!

@BDDaza - I'm surprised by what you say. I just went to (re)check at Asus compatibility tool, and whilst it says the phenom2X3 715 will work with M2N Sli 32 - it does not mention M2N-Sli-Deluxe. They are different m/bs.....unfortunately.

Any chance you can try and confirm pIIx3s in M2N-Sli-Deluxe?

the_last_name_left

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

hmmm. that sounds a bit dodgy. It can't hurt? what if it messes up the chip? the board? lol. Maybe it's impossible, I just don't know, so I'm wary of trying tbh. Plus, no-one's gonna lend me one to try it! So, sadly, I can't.

Thanks for the advice though.

the_last_name_left

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
what about a replacement m/b?

Does anyone have some advice on some decent, relatively cheap DDR2 (5300) m/bs that will definitely take PhenomIIs, such as 965 etc? The Asus M2N8 look pretty poor - 2 RAM slots, 1 PCI.....2 SATA etc.

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
where are you getting it online what site what are your choices and check the manufactorers website cpu support list for the particular mb your interested in

the_last_name_left

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
y - it's just there are endless lists of mobos, and most of the places are frankly rubbish at giving the information required. Experience is far better - I was hoping to glean some advice, rather than repeat the hardwork for myself. :)

Someone might have an M2N-Sli-Deluxe working with a phen2, see? Or have some perfect recommendation. That was the (probably futile) hope.

I do appreciate the responses though. And it isn't as if I haven't tried to find a good solution myself. ;)

the_last_name_left

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Hehe - thanks for the confidence. Maybe I will try it. But I really don't like the idea of using a CPU without an official bios for it - I like messing about with techie stuff a bit.......but......bodging BIOS and CPU seems a bit much. Especially as I don't have the cash to replace anything I might screwup.

Anyway, I did come across this, which might be of use to others in my position, or similar, and it does kinda verify that M2N boards will run PhenomIIs :

Even though ASUS does not officially support what we recently discoverd. I am proud to announce with the help of some pioneers that our mothoerboards will boot and run with the New AM2+ Phenom II CPU's. So incase your wondering yes your M2N Series motherboard will run happily with a new Am2+ Ph II cpu.
FTW

Link

I think "happily" is perhaps an overstatement. But.........what do I know? :D

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

I run an Asus M2N-E with a phenom9950 upgraded from the AthlonX2-5200

Since the Athlon ran at 2.7Ghz I clocked the Phenom to 2.73 with a tiny fsb clock but on that board you shouldn't go for more as you might push it past 125W.
Also the M2N-E is the old HT Link so you may not run it at it's fastest.

However I do see a big difference as clock per clock the Phenom is a little faster then the AthlonX2 and the fact that it's a quad with a bit of that L3 Cash make a big difference over a Dual core.

I am very satisfied with it and recommend it if you plan to milk your pc for another year or more.

If you can find one at a fair price that is.