gezorama

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I recently bought a new 9800GT and formatted to give my computer a nice fresh start. I had some issues when installing XP the first couple of times as after the install I would get a Windows XP screen with a loading bar that would move very slowly. One blue square of the bar would assemble going downwards i've done a bad drawing to help explain it better:

http://img9.imageshack.us/i/examplestartup.jpg/

One thing that is interesting is that one of the computers fans becomes noticeably quiet within about 1 second of the problem occuring. It doesn't seem to be an overheating issue with the GFX card as the one time i got into windows it was idling about about 43C. I can access Safe Mode however.

Cheers

if the computer boots normally to safemode then the problem is with a driver .

Not necessarily the gfx card driver but thats a good place to start .
Head to device manager and remove the device listed under the display adapter entry and reboot .

Reinstall the latest nvidia driver for xp

gezorama

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I think the problem is to do with the onboard Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet adapter. I disabled it in safe mode and it starts up fine and I tried to install the drivers from the CD I got with the motherboard and the problem began to persist (the computer slows down to a point where it takes 5-10 seconds to move the mouse one frame during the install - When I reset the same startup thing happens untill i disable it). It's a bit worrying as I leave for university tomorrow and really do need to have an internet connection sorted before i leave.