msconfig will not run

Mary

I am having the same problem. Msconfig flashes but does
not open. can anyone help

Hi Mary,
This is caused by viruses. One sure way to run MSCONFIG is to copy msconfig.exe to another filename, say msc.exe and run it. Try this tool from Doug Knox, creates copies of MSCONFIG, TASKMGR.EXE AND REGEDIT.
Emergency Msconfig, Regedit, Task Manager http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

Also, update your anti-virus scanner and run a full system scan. The following viruses terminate any of the following processes: REGEDIT.EXE and TASKMGR.EXE

W32.HLLW.Kefy:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.kefy.html

W32.HLLW.Cydog@mm:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.cydog@mm..html

Backdoor.IRC.Yoink.A:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.irc.yoink.a.html

Backdoor.Volac.dr:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.volac.dr..html

W32.Kwbot.R.Worm:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.kwbot.r.worm.html

[The following viruses deletes Regedit.exe, Regedt32.exe, Msconfig.exe, Taskmgr.exe]

W32.Petch.B:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.petch.b.html

W32.HLLW.Maax.B@mm:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.maax.b@mm.html

W32.spybot worm disables NAV, Msconfig, Regedit and Task Manager:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

"mary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:230d01c47d60$d76724d0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
I am having the same problem. Msconfig flashes but does
not open. can anyone help

TRENDING THREADS