Slow WIN7 Bootup - Possibly my SAMSUNGHD103SJ ?

andy1027

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I have had this problem ever since I built the computer.

When I type my password in and login, the machine takes wayy longer than expected to log in.

My parents PC which is MEANT to be slower (if anything) logs in for them on each user, almost instantly. Plus it sleeps and resumes from sleep faster. (It's generally faster! in many aspects of it's functionality.)

PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO, IT SHOWS YOU THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING
FOLLOW THE URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmwjqz6ZDD0

Thanks to all. :D

THEIR PC BUILD IS AS FOLLOWS

Processor: AMD PHENOM X4 II 3.2GHz
Hard Drive: SEAGATE BARRACUDA ST31000333AS http://goo.gl/AABec
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD3P http://goo.gl/jTOsB
RAM/Memory: 4GB Crucial DDR2 http://goo.gl/a8yxL
PSU: Corsair 650w MODULAR
Case: Thermaltake Sorprano (Black, with side fan)
Video Card: XFX Ati Radeon HD 4870
Operating System: WIN7 Professional (x64)

MY! PC Build

Processor: AMD Phenom 3.4Ghz
Hard Drive: Samsung HD103SJ
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
RAM/Memory: Corsair 4GB DDR3
PSU: OCZ 600W (Modular)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred and two gaming case
Video Card: XFX Ati Radeon 4890 1GB GDDR5
Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

It sounds like a DNS issue. Are you using a roaming profile. If so, it sounds like it's taking a while to find the domain server. If you aren't using a roming profile, the home drive may be set incorrectly. To validate where is your home drive and home path is just execute SET command in CMD and browse for HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH. For our case, we want to ensure that it's C:\ and \Users\xxxx

andy1027

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

The HOMEDRIVE is as normal "C:"
And the HOMEPATH is "\Users\MYNAME"

And no Im not logging into a Domain or anything of the sort. Im just logging into my hard drive as a personal PC.

andy1027

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
See this is whats making this strange.

I don't have an excessive amount of startup programs. :bounce:

Infact I cut back on lots of them. It doesnt make a difference.

Don't forget I had this problem when I first made the computer. I have just persevered with it. BUT I HATE IT!!

Can I ask what makes you think I need that update?

Quite a few people have fixed this problem with this update. It came out in april 2010 so you may already have it installed. One of the problems it fixes:

The Welcome screen may be displayed for 30 seconds when you try to log on to a computer if you set the desktop background to a solid color.

You have turned verbose mode on which is why you are even seeing those messages at startup. If verbose mode is off, it should go straight to the desktop after entering your password without displaying those messages.

To enable/disable verbose:

1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now goto:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\System

2. In right-side pane create/modify DWORD value VerboseStatus and set its value to:

0 - To Disable Verbose Status Message
1 - To Enable Verbose Status Message

3. Exit Registry Editor and restart your system to see the changes.

andy1027

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Ahh but I just turned that on to see what was the slowest (being preparing desktop)

With it off it takes the same amount of time. BUT! Says "Welcome" ... as it would do.

You should have initially installed them when you set up the system. They would be on the disk that came with your motherboard. If you didn't install them, this can be part of your problem. If you didn't use the disk, you should have downloaded it from the motherboard manufacturer's web site. Either way, the version is most likely listed within the install file name.

andy1027

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
HI

I checked and I have installed the chipset drivers!!

But it is already the latest available version.

Suggest clean install of OS? Or HDD Upgrade instead?

It's a little baffling, but I think I'd do a clean install before spending the money on a new drive. Have you tried downloading SMART monitoring software to see if the values are ok? Both speedfan and HDTune can view smart values. You should mostly be concerned with the reallocated sector count and pending sector count.

andy1027

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
What would be the best way I could back up my files and folders etc. To be able to restore them in the easiest way possible on the clean install?