No benefits to turbo boost, having OC problems

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Anyways, my lappy is a HP Pavilion dv6 - 3139tx, and its processor is an i7 720QM with turbo boost, base clock at 1.6 GHz.

My problem is that it never boosts itself beyond 1.6, despite me testing (not scientifically, just observing the CPU gadget I have running) the laptop under different conditions, such as idle, playing CS in windowed mode + Photoshop, Photoshop + video conversion, Portal 2 etc.
It never ever boosted itself even a MHz beyond base clock.

I'm pretty pissed.

And not only that, but it often downclocks itself to the unusable frequency of 96 MHz when I'm on the "Power Saver" battery plan. That's just stupid.

I was wondering how to fix this issue, if there is one, or would it be better for me just to disable turbo completely. It holds no benefits for me whatsoever, and it often makes my laptop unusable unless I switch to the High Power settings plan for my battery. And that drains my batteries, obviously, and HP laptops aren't exactly known for its ability to hold a charge, unlike (sadface) apple.

Any help is appreciated. Cheers.

Below are the power states for ACPI:

G0 (S0): Working

G1, Sleeping subdivides into the four states S1 through S4:

S1: All processor caches are flushed, and the CPU(s) stop executing instructions. Power to the CPU(s) and RAM is maintained; devices that do not indicate they must remain on may be powered down.

S2: CPU powered off

S3: Commonly referred to as Standby, Sleep, or Suspend to RAM. RAM remains powered

S4: Hibernation or Suspend to Disk. All content of main memory is saved to non-volatile memory such as a hard drive, and is powered down.

G2 (S5), Soft Off: G2 is almost the same as G3 Mechanical Off, but some components remain powered so the computer can "wake" from input from the keyboard, clock, modem, LAN, or USB device.

G3, Mechanical Off: The computer's power consumption approaches close to zero, to the point that the power cord can be removed and the system is safe for dis-assembly (typically, only the real-time clock is running off its own small battery).

If you are able to, get into the BIOS and change your ACPI settings