Sign in with
Your question
Solved

80 pin u320 not sas

Last response: in Storage
July 18, 2011 3:48:31 PM

Hello,
i bought two 73gb 15k rpm 80pin drives and i have a xw8400 server, what adapter can i get to use with the 80pins, do i need trays or can i use small backplanes? i have having a hard time finding the attachment adaptor usually see 29 pin ones, or 80 pin to about 60 pin adapters; sorry the drives seem to be either 80 or 68 pins, so adaptors exist, but i want one that turns the 80 pins to like one or 2 SATA li9ke connectors and a molex or sata like power connector
(example SCSI hard drives showing 80-pin SCA connector (top) and 68-pin connector)

Yes buying the basic refurb setup was stupid, but it seemd very expandable to 3 year old specs which isn't too bad, but i just located a "setup" system with 2 SAS 146gb hds and 2 3 ghz cpu xenon, active XP prof for little more cost than the 1 2.66 cpu non working sata drive system i got, and i just screwed an rma for the whole system by just sending the drive back, but didn't want to pay for the $30 plus return shipping but just the drive cost almost $10 to return

More about : pin u320 sas

a c 289 G Storage
July 18, 2011 4:10:47 PM

Number of pins isn't quite enough information. What is the interface for the drives (SAS? SCSI III?) and preferably drive models, and what interface does your motherboard or controller card support and, preferably, what model are they?

Pin count, especially "about 60," doesn't tell us enough.
m
l
Related resources
July 18, 2011 7:18:51 PM

some body else started a thread like mine and the response here was "you can't" but i did buy the link above and will use it to fix up the other one and give it to my nephew
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
July 18, 2011 8:26:08 PM

OK, time for someone else to jump in here.

I know of two 80-"pin" interfaces. Internal ULTRA SCSI has an 80-pin version, and IDE had an 80-conductor version that was incorrectly referred to as "80-pin". Despite the similarity in naming, ULTRA SCSI and Serial Attached Scsi have nothing in common at the physical layer, except containing copper.

mejensen11, the easiest part of this for me is identifying the drives, since you kindly gave the model number: 2x Seagate 73GB 80P 15K U320 ST373454LC SCSI Hard Drive. Ultra320 drives do indeed use an 80-pin cable. You cannot attach them to SAS or SATA or IDE ports with any kind of passive adapter. There were indeed adapters to attach these to lower-spec SCSI controllers that were narrow, but using these did slow down throughput. You could squeeze it down to 68 pins or 50 pins, but I repeat that you lost speed.

(historical aside: I have one of these adapters in my home office as a bad example. It was put into a server to attach a 68-pin device to an 80-pin bus. It did not have active termination of the other 12 lines, and introduced intermittent crashes on the machine. One little adapter crashed the machine.)

The workstation spec that you linked to only has an SAS controller, not a SCSI controller. Either the specific unit also has a SCSI controller, or those drives never ran in it, or I am even more off the mark than I thought. Did you get those two drives _in_ the server, or buy them separately?

If you bought them separately, the best thing to do with them is throw them out or keep them as curiosities. Ultra320 SCSI controller cards are expensive. You could buy a pretty decent amount of SATA storage for the price of such a controller. I haven't counted the pins, but the cheapest one on Newegg is $200: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... .

The other one on Ebay is also described as SAS, which is not compatible with SCSI.
m
l
July 18, 2011 8:39:23 PM

Too bad SCSI HDD can be bought for a few bucks on the net, but the controllers needed to use them are too much expensive, being a few hundreds buck just for a cheap one...
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
July 18, 2011 8:49:57 PM

MrBig55 said:
Too bad SCSI HDD can be bought for a few bucks on the net, but the controllers needed to use them are too much expensive, being a few hundreds buck just for a cheap one...

SCSI HDDs were never really targeted into the home or enthusiast space. They were targeted more at servers, where reliability and thousands of IOs per second were needed. What good is a format with 73 GB drives when you could buy 200 GB drives for less?
m
l
July 18, 2011 10:39:50 PM

sorry I didn't really read you messages, and i did not realize i had u320 not sas drive, stupid me
sorry, I bought 1 u320(not SAS drive) for $50 then another one later for 50$ free shipping. The unit came with an ultrastor Hitachi 750 gb which was no good and i sent it back to computer geeks, i should have sent the whole thing back, i paid CG $27 shipping, shortly after they had a free ship sale, but the unit is 47 lbs, gee it would cost me more to return it though cg should have paid as they had not adequately tested, but it had no OS, i had a Win7 Ult I was planning to use.
well from the specs in the pdf for the xw8400 and what i recall from seeing on the blue screen at boot up I might have this:
LSI MegaRAID SAS
8344ELP 8-port,
PCI Express SAS
RAID Adapter
But I don't recall it using a SLOT so it is probably built in as I think the specs say "built in backplane" ie no adapter needed,
but looking at it open up, I saw 2 sets or rows of SATA looking connectors and online for 2.5 SAS drives there are SATA connector 29 pin SAS adaptors, which, something like, I thought I was looking for. The LSI info came from page 15 of the Quickspecs from HP.
Now you can buy a 1TB drive for less! I was trying to setup a fast raid boot system after buying the worksation, and pretend to be a system and network engineer i think. My last last Desktop, a Dell was a Dimension 310E or 3100, only I PCI-E X1 and I think I was trying to compensate. My last new laptop was last month!

At purchase the xw8400 has a 3 year warranty from HP and the Quickspecs I mention are dated Feb 2008.

I think the BOOT rom expects to see the LSI raid. I can get the adapter above from $120 as a pull on eBay, but I should find it cheaper because there are probably too many on the market and they are old tech, new transfer rate is 2X it.
m
l
July 19, 2011 5:46:06 AM

oh these are u320 not sas, is that the problem?, if that is the case i wonder how i got mistaken
i thought i was getting SAS 1.1 1 3 GHz 300 MB/s 2400 Mbit/s
how did i do this, well maybe i am stuck, one is unopened
I just tried to RMA them, but I can get a HP u320 card on eBay for $25, but as you point out the bus is old tech
I got confused as they are 73gb 15k like some SAS drives the system uses, sorry for the verbiage!

I had seen that the drives on Pacific Geeks called them S A S not not in the appropriate meaning of the acronym. I thin the company moves product however, but tries to have it not returned.
m
l
July 24, 2011 10:30:08 PM

thanks again, I was able to cancel the NEW eBay order, made while consulting here, because they said they could not load the OS on the SAS drives! i had been out of loop so I was impressed by 4 year old tech, which has happened to me before and i should keep an eye on it
even geeks.com is selling this as a refurb which seems almost new tech
Dell XPS 8300 Core i7-2600 Quad-Core 3.4GHz 8GB 1.5TB DVDRW
i got rma's for the two drives, 20% restocking, i guess I willingly accept due to my stupidity, one needs to keep up with tech!
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 25, 2011 6:49:12 PM

The heat output and power consumption of the older 15k SCSI drives makes them really not a great home solution. You're better off with an SSD for what you'll save on power alone. As SSD's become more cost effective and proven reliable, they will end up replacing all the 15k drives in the enterpise space.
July 26, 2011 12:44:59 AM

Best answer selected by mejensen11.
m
l
!