HTPC build problems

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2009 6:07:24 AM

So I have been using an old pc I built as a HTPC for a while now and I came home for the summer and decided to build one for my family before I leave. Everything is put together and the computer runs but I am unable to get the sound to play out of the tv. I know the tv connections are correct because they are exactly the same as what I use for my computer.

I also know the computer is built correctly (I hope) because I can get sound out of the sound card through headphones or just normal computer speakers.

I am using a DVI to HDMI cable to transfer the video from the computer to the TV and a 3.5mm to RCA cable to transfer the audio.

The computer I built has the following specs:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775
EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB
Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

The only thought I could have is that I didn't get a strong enough PSU now because I have tried everything else I can think of. I've tried the sound card and onboard audio and I've just about run out of ideas.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know because I'm about to give up my love of computing because of this.

More about : htpc build problems

September 18, 2009 6:45:00 AM

If you can get sound out of the computer with normal computer speakers, then I don't think the problem is with the computer. Were you using the HDMI adapter when you had the normal speakers plugged in?
m
l
September 18, 2009 6:48:28 AM

Yeah the HDMI cable was still playing the video from the computer to the TV. The TV was playing sound out of my old computer through the tv and then i just switched the 3.5mm plug to the new computer which was doing video and there is no sound even though the speakers were working perfectly.

edit: It's a Samsung LN46B650 LCD TV if that helps at all
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 18, 2009 2:50:51 PM

On the computer, where are you plugging in the audio cable? If it is into the same green audio output port of either the sound card or the mobo that does give you audio to speakers, that's one thing. BUT if you plug it into an audio port on the video card (some have them) that may not work. Some video cards have a way to route sound to them via the SPDIF mobo port just so the signal can be included in the HDMI cable's signals, but the video card itself actually does nothing with sound other than passing through a signal it is given.

Let's make sure I understand all these conditions correctly.
1. old comp audio out > speakers works
2. old comp audio out > headphones works
3. old comp audio out > TV RCA inputs works
4. new comp on-board audio out > speakers works
5. new comp on-board audio out > headphones works
6. new comp on-board audio out > TV DOES NOT WORK
7. new comp sound card audio out > speakers works
8. new comp sound card audio out > headphones works
9. new comp sound card audio out > TV DOES NOT WORK

Are all those right?
m
l