My TiVo has been struck dumb

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 3, 2005 8:24:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

Hi all,

I bought a second-hand TiVo a while ago, and in the last day or two it's
started misbehaving. In particular, Channel 4 has gone mostly silent, with
just the odd snatch of sound every few minutes, and BBC2 seems to be
similarly affected, although the silences on BBC2 are much shorter. The
silence occurs whether I record programmes or watch "Live TV" through the
TiVo. If I switch the telly away from the TiVo channel to the other
channels, all channels work okay (with the signal still physically coming
through the TiVo).

I've tried restarting it, I've also tried repeating the guided setup.
Actually, maybe BBC2 only went silent after the guided set-up, but C4 was
already silent before?

ITV, BBC1 and Channel 5 seem unaffected.

Model: Thomson Scenium (for UK)
Programme source = aerial only via coax RF in.
RF output channel is currently on 69, but I've tried it on a few while
researching this problem.
Last successful phone call was this afternoon, as part of the guided set-up.

Help!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7069/tpftla.h...

More about : tivo struck dumb

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:24:35 PM

John Rowland wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I bought a second-hand TiVo a while ago, and in the last day or two it's
> started misbehaving. In particular, Channel 4 has gone mostly silent, with
> just the odd snatch of sound every few minutes, and BBC2 seems to be
> similarly affected, although the silences on BBC2 are much shorter. The
> silence occurs whether I record programmes or watch "Live TV" through the
> TiVo. If I switch the telly away from the TiVo channel to the other
> channels, all channels work okay (with the signal still physically coming
> through the TiVo).
>
> I've tried restarting it, I've also tried repeating the guided setup.
> Actually, maybe BBC2 only went silent after the guided set-up, but C4 was
> already silent before?
>
> ITV, BBC1 and Channel 5 seem unaffected.
>
> Model: Thomson Scenium (for UK)
> Programme source = aerial only via coax RF in.
> RF output channel is currently on 69, but I've tried it on a few while
> researching this problem.
> Last successful phone call was this afternoon, as part of the guided set-up.
>
> Help!

Have you pressed the AUX button on the remote to check the source and
see whether it's that which is affected and not however it's been
processed through the TiVo.

It's worth checking the unexpected, like when I seemingly hear a whiny
noise coming out of my PC, but it's actually the chav outside across
the street using a circular saw on an old caravan, I kid you not!

Dom
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:12:01 PM

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 16:24:34 +0100, John Rowland wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I bought a second-hand TiVo a while ago, and in the last day or two it's
> started misbehaving. In particular, Channel 4 has gone mostly silent, with
> just the odd snatch of sound every few minutes, and BBC2 seems to be
> similarly affected, although the silences on BBC2 are much shorter. The
> silence occurs whether I record programmes or watch "Live TV" through the
> TiVo. If I switch the telly away from the TiVo channel to the other
> channels, all channels work okay (with the signal still physically coming
> through the TiVo).
>
> I've tried restarting it, I've also tried repeating the guided setup.
> Actually, maybe BBC2 only went silent after the guided set-up, but C4 was
> already silent before?
>
> ITV, BBC1 and Channel 5 seem unaffected.
>
> Model: Thomson Scenium (for UK)
> Programme source = aerial only via coax RF in.
> RF output channel is currently on 69, but I've tried it on a few while
> researching this problem.
> Last successful phone call was this afternoon, as part of the guided set-up.

Check setup for audio feed. Somehow mine got set to sap once.

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:15:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

"John Rowland" <johnr@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 7psnj$8pe$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
).

> I've tried restarting it, I've also tried repeating the guided setup.
> Actually, maybe BBC2 only went silent after the guided set-up, but C4 was
> already silent before?

Have you phyically powered it off though? I had a similar problem with mine
and solved it by power cycling it.

HTH
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:16:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:24:34 +0100, "John Rowland"
<johnr@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I bought a second-hand TiVo a while ago, and in the last day or two it's
>started misbehaving. In particular, Channel 4 has gone mostly silent, with
>just the odd snatch of sound every few minutes, and BBC2 seems to be
>similarly affected, although the silences on BBC2 are much shorter. The
>silence occurs whether I record programmes or watch "Live TV" through the
>TiVo. If I switch the telly away from the TiVo channel to the other
>channels, all channels work okay (with the signal still physically coming
>through the TiVo).
>
>I've tried restarting it, I've also tried repeating the guided setup.
>Actually, maybe BBC2 only went silent after the guided set-up, but C4 was
>already silent before?

If you haven't actually powered it down, unplug it for 30 seconds.
This seems to fix many a strange problem.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:46:26 PM

"Dom Robinson" <google@dvdfever.co.uk> wrote in message

> Have you pressed the AUX button on the remote
> to check the source and see whether it's that which
> is affected and not however it's been
> processed through the TiVo.

AUX button gives me black silence. There is nothing plugged in the AUX
socket, so that's to be expected.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7069/tpftla.h...
June 3, 2005 9:59:43 PM

"nordberg" <nordberg_73@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "John Rowland" <johnr@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D 7psnj$8pe$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
> ).
> >
> > I've tried restarting it, I've also tried repeating the guided setup.
> > Actually, maybe BBC2 only went silent after the
> > guided set-up, but C4 was already silent before?
>
> Have you phyically powered it off though? I had a similar problem with
mine
> and solved it by power cycling it.

I've just tried that, and now BBC1 has gone silent as well! So, er, thanks
or something.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7069/tpftla.h...
June 3, 2005 10:31:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

"John Rowland" <johnr@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 7psnj$8pe$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
> Hi all,
>
> I bought a second-hand TiVo a while ago, and in the last day or two it's
> started misbehaving. In particular, Channel 4 has gone mostly silent, with
> just the odd snatch

Are you sure you just haven't been watching Big Brother?

Col
--
I just know that something good is gonna happen.
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

In <d7psnj$8pe$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>, "John Rowland"
<johnr@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Help!

You best option is to call Customer Services on 08702 418486. They can
guide you through a series of tests, and if necessary arrange a
repair/swap-out.

--
Kill all Sky's red dots on TiVo! http://www.ljay.org.uk/tivoweb/
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

In article <d7q1h4$eu3$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>,
johnr@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk says...
> "Dom Robinson" <google@dvdfever.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > Have you pressed the AUX button on the remote
> > to check the source and see whether it's that which
> > is affected and not however it's been
> > processed through the TiVo.
>
> AUX button gives me black silence. There is nothing plugged in the AUX
> socket, so that's to be expected.

Black silence. Sounds like a new kind of perfume :)

Seriously, TiVos are best used with some form of digital thingy, such as Sky
or Freeview. With just analogue you're barely getting much use from something
as sophisticated as a TiVo. Haven't used the analogue recording for some time
now.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor), http://LeilaniWeb.co.uk (editor)

"Dom Robinson" <Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote in message

> TiVos are best used with some form of digital thingy,
> such as Sky or Freeview. With just analogue you're
> barely getting much use from something
> as sophisticated as a TiVo.

Since it can only record one channel at a time, and I have to sleep or work
most of the time, five channels is enough.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7069/tpftla.h...
June 4, 2005 9:16:55 AM

"Col" <Reddwarferspammeatyourperil@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "John Rowland" <johnr@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D 7psnj$8pe$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I bought a second-hand TiVo a while ago, and in the
> > last day or two it's started misbehaving. In particular,
> > Channel 4 has gone mostly silent, with just the odd snatch
>
> Are you sure you just haven't been watching Big Brother?

Actually "mostly silent, with just the odd snatch".describes Sam.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7069/tpftla.h...
June 4, 2005 2:35:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:24:34 +0100, "John Rowland"
<johnr@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I bought a second-hand TiVo a while ago, and in the last day or two it's
>started misbehaving. In particular, Channel 4 has gone mostly silent, with
>just the odd snatch of sound every few minutes, and BBC2 seems to be
>similarly affected, although the silences on BBC2 are much shorter. The
>silence occurs whether I record programmes or watch "Live TV" through the
>TiVo. If I switch the telly away from the TiVo channel to the other
>channels, all channels work okay (with the signal still physically coming
>through the TiVo).

Buy SKY+.

You can then record two channels at the same time as you watch
something back from the box.

Graham
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:47:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

In article <d7r587$slt$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>,
johnr@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk says...
> "Dom Robinson" <Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote in message
> >
> > TiVos are best used with some form of digital thingy,
> > such as Sky or Freeview. With just analogue you're
> > barely getting much use from something
> > as sophisticated as a TiVo.
>
> Since it can only record one channel at a time, and I have to sleep or work
> most of the time, five channels is enough.

We all have to sleep or work, or even both, but you won't get the full value
of the tremendous beast that is a TiVo and which pisses all over a Sky+ from a
great height.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor), http://LeilaniWeb.co.uk (editor)
/* 1046 DVDs, 305 games, 145 CDs, 92 cinema films, 33 videos, concerts & news
/* alienVpredator, kung fu hustle, doctor who, constantine, churchillhollywood
Fight back against "PRESS RED": http://dvdfever.co.uk/pressrel/pressred.shtml
DVDfever.co.uk on BBC News 24's Click Online! - http://tinyurl.com/2mqj4
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:47:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:47:22 +0100, Dom Robinson
<Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:

>In article <d7r587$slt$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>,
>johnr@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk says...
>> "Dom Robinson" <Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > TiVos are best used with some form of digital thingy,
>> > such as Sky or Freeview. With just analogue you're
>> > barely getting much use from something
>> > as sophisticated as a TiVo.
>>
>> Since it can only record one channel at a time, and I have to sleep or work
>> most of the time, five channels is enough.
>>
>We all have to sleep or work, or even both, but you won't get the full value
>of the tremendous beast that is a TiVo and which pisses all over a Sky+ from a
>great height.

I agree with Dom. Having more channels doesn't mean that Tivo fills up
with more stuff to watch, it just means it's stuff you want to watch
more. It's like wanting to buy a couple of novels, and going to either
Waterstones or a corner shop that has half a dozen novels.

andyt
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:48:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

In article <av03a1l65a0i4tr3ukrbf4g2qgenjn1bmp@4ax.com>, graham@dircon.co.uk
says...
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:24:34 +0100, "John Rowland"
> <johnr@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I bought a second-hand TiVo a while ago, and in the last day or two it's
> >started misbehaving. In particular, Channel 4 has gone mostly silent, with
> >just the odd snatch of sound every few minutes, and BBC2 seems to be
> >similarly affected, although the silences on BBC2 are much shorter. The
> >silence occurs whether I record programmes or watch "Live TV" through the
> >TiVo. If I switch the telly away from the TiVo channel to the other
> >channels, all channels work okay (with the signal still physically coming
> >through the TiVo).
>
> Buy SKY+.
>
> You can then record two channels at the same time as you watch
> something back from the box.

You can record one channel while watching something back from the box, and
given that Sky and other channels repeat most prime-time things within the
week they've rather shot themselves in the foot claiming that as a must-have
feature
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor), http://LeilaniWeb.co.uk (editor)
/* 1046 DVDs, 305 games, 145 CDs, 92 cinema films, 33 videos, concerts & news
/* alienVpredator, kung fu hustle, doctor who, constantine, churchillhollywood
Fight back against "PRESS RED": http://dvdfever.co.uk/pressrel/pressred.shtml
DVDfever.co.uk on BBC News 24's Click Online! - http://tinyurl.com/2mqj4
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 1:14:55 PM

graham@dircon.co.uk wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:24:34 +0100, "John Rowland"
> <johnr@journeyflow.spamspam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I bought a second-hand TiVo a while ago, and in the last day or two
>> it's started misbehaving. In particular, Channel 4 has gone mostly
>> silent, with just the odd snatch of sound every few minutes, and
>> BBC2 seems to be similarly affected, although the silences on BBC2
>> are much shorter. The silence occurs whether I record programmes or
>> watch "Live TV" through the TiVo. If I switch the telly away from
>> the TiVo channel to the other channels, all channels work okay (with
>> the signal still physically coming through the TiVo).
>
> Buy SKY+.
The OP only has stated that he standard five channels so, unless my info on
Sky+ is out-of-date, it will be a waste of money :-)

--
Carl Waring
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:47:22 +0100, Dom Robinson
<Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:

>We all have to sleep or work, or even both, but you won't get the full value
>of the tremendous beast that is a TiVo and which pisses all over a Sky+ from a
>great height.

....Until you want to try recording two programmes whilst watching a
3rd programme off the box at the same time.

Graham
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 8:39:46 PM

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 16:32:38 GMT, graham@dircon.co.uk wrote:

>On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:47:22 +0100, Dom Robinson
><Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:
>

>>We all have to sleep or work, or even both, but you won't get the full value
>>of the tremendous beast that is a TiVo and which pisses all over a Sky+ from a
>>great height.
>
>...Until you want to try recording two programmes whilst watching a
>3rd programme off the box at the same time.

Each to their own, but I've never wanted to do that. Personally I fidn
it bizarre that you have to still be subscribed to a channel on Sky+
in order to watch a recording you made months ago. Is that still the
case or have they fixed that?

andyt
June 5, 2005 8:41:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:48:12 +0100, Dom Robinson
<Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:

>You can record one channel while watching something back from the box, and
>given that Sky and other channels repeat most prime-time things within the
>week they've rather shot themselves in the foot claiming that as a must-have
>feature

That's wrong.

For well over a year it has been possible to record two programmes on
a Sky+ box at the same time whilst watching a 3rd programme back off
the same Sky+ box.

Graham
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 8:56:50 PM

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 16:41:25 GMT, graham@dircon.co.uk wrote:

>On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:48:12 +0100, Dom Robinson
><Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:
>

>>You can record one channel while watching something back from the box, and
>>given that Sky and other channels repeat most prime-time things within the
>>week they've rather shot themselves in the foot claiming that as a must-have
>>feature
>
>That's wrong.
>
>For well over a year it has been possible to record two programmes on
>a Sky+ box at the same time whilst watching a 3rd programme back off
>the same Sky+ box.

I think you've misread Dom. He's acknowledging that it is possible,
but saying that it's pointless because Sky repeat stuff so often.

andyt
June 6, 2005 2:18:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 16:56:50 GMT, Andy Turner
<andyt@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 16:41:25 GMT, graham@dircon.co.uk wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:48:12 +0100, Dom Robinson
>><Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:
>>

>>>You can record one channel while watching something back from the box, and
>>>given that Sky and other channels repeat most prime-time things within the
>>>week they've rather shot themselves in the foot claiming that as a must-have
>>>feature
>>
>>That's wrong.
>>
>>For well over a year it has been possible to record two programmes on
>>a Sky+ box at the same time whilst watching a 3rd programme back off
>>the same Sky+ box.
>
>I think you've misread Dom. He's acknowledging that it is possible,
>but saying that it's pointless because Sky repeat stuff so often.

I read what he said. I now understand what he is getting at.

However, I would again have to disagree with him. There are lots of
programmes that are shown once only.

The whole point of a personal video recorder is that you can record
what you want to watch within reason. A box that can only record one
channel at a time for me would be a complete and utter waste of time.

Graham
June 6, 2005 3:34:57 AM

"Heracles Pollux" <e304233@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 7s0s3$dnm$1@news.freedom2surf.net...

> I never turn my PCs off. They've been on for nearly decades!

June 6, 2005 3:39:45 AM

<graham@dircon.co.uk> wrote in message

> The whole point of a personal video recorder is that you can record
> what you want to watch within reason. A box that can only record one
> channel at a time for me would be a complete and utter waste of time.
>
> Graham

Is that why you've never owned a VCR or even a TV until you got a DVR that
has duel tuners?
OR
Has your life only recently become so pathetic that you feel the need to
watch so much TV?
June 6, 2005 3:43:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

"Heracles Pollux" <e304233@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 7s0s3$dnm$1@news.freedom2surf.net...

> I never turn my PCs off. They've been on for nearly decades!

That would make for some very old and very slow computers that can't do
much by todays standards.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:12:26 PM

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 22:18:13 GMT, graham@dircon.co.uk wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 16:56:50 GMT, Andy Turner
><andyt@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 16:41:25 GMT, graham@dircon.co.uk wrote:

>>>That's wrong.
>>>
>>>For well over a year it has been possible to record two programmes on
>>>a Sky+ box at the same time whilst watching a 3rd programme back off
>>>the same Sky+ box.
>>
>>I think you've misread Dom. He's acknowledging that it is possible,
>>but saying that it's pointless because Sky repeat stuff so often.
>
>I read what he said. I now understand what he is getting at.
>
>However, I would again have to disagree with him. There are lots of
>programmes that are shown once only.

I have *never* had the problem, as far as I am aware, of Tivo having a
clash of two programmes that I wanted to record. The closest I know of
is Dream Team (which the wife likes!), and Top Gear. Whenever they
clash, Tivo records the repeat of Top Gear on Tuesday instead. Of
course, since Dream Team is also repeated, it could do it either way
around.

>The whole point of a personal video recorder is that you can record
>what you want to watch within reason. A box that can only record one
>channel at a time for me would be a complete and utter waste of time.

So what did you have beforehand?!

andyt
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:12:30 PM

In article <7ba6a111qn7p7edqbtv8dkfsr9j7dqp5n7@4ax.com>, graham@dircon.co.uk wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:47:22 +0100, Dom Robinson
><Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:
>
>>We all have to sleep or work, or even both, but you won't get the full value
>>of the tremendous beast that is a TiVo and which pisses all over a Sky+ from a
>>great height.
>
> ...Until you want to try recording two programmes whilst watching a
> 3rd programme off the box at the same time.

Still pisses on it from a great height even then.

Smid
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:54:40 PM

graham@dircon.co.uk wrote:
> However, I would again have to disagree with him. There are lots of
> programmes that are shown once only.

News at Ten ?

> The whole point of a personal video recorder is that you can record
> what you want to watch within reason. A box that can only record one
> channel at a time for me would be a complete and utter waste of time.

Tivo does a good job of deciding what you *would have wanted* to watch
and recording it for you, *in advance*.
You always have a list of whole programs/filsm to watch on tivo,
sky+ is a glorified VCR, not a PVR

Is it worth losing all the tivo functionality and ease of use for an extra
tuner?
Those that have used both tivo and sky+, say no.

The problem is that tivo is less known in the UK, sky+ owners think it's
just like sky+, but with only one tuner, its actually much more than that.

I've been trying MCE 2005 this month, its better than sky+, but not a
tivo-killer (yet).

--
Mike
June 6, 2005 4:45:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.ptv.tivo.]
* graham@dircon.co.uk wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:47:22 +0100, Dom Robinson
><Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:

>>We all have to sleep or work, or even both, but you won't get the full value
>>of the tremendous beast that is a TiVo and which pisses all over a Sky+ from a
>>great height.

> ...Until you want to try recording two programmes whilst watching a
> 3rd programme off the box at the same time.

My Tivo does that.

--
David
No, that'd be silly.

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

In <f8u6a1tmsh3rek983ioqu9ka6j9it515q7@4ax.com>, graham@dircon.co.uk
wrote:

>The whole point of a personal video recorder is that you can record
>what you want to watch within reason. A box that can only record one
>channel at a time for me would be a complete and utter waste of time.

So the VCR you owned for 20 years was a complete and utter waste of
time?

--
Kill all Sky's red dots on TiVo! http://www.ljay.org.uk/tivoweb/
June 6, 2005 11:01:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 09:54:40 GMT, "Mike Redrobe" <mike@redrobe.net>
wrote:

>Tivo does a good job of deciding what you *would have wanted* to watch
>and recording it for you, *in advance*.
>You always have a list of whole programs/filsm to watch on tivo,
>sky+ is a glorified VCR, not a PVR
>
>Is it worth losing all the tivo functionality and ease of use for an extra
>tuner?
>Those that have used both tivo and sky+, say no.

All the tivo functionality = a box that tells me what it thinks I
should watch, rather than recording what I want to record. Thanks, but
no thanks - I'll pass.

Graham
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:25:01 AM

<graham@dircon.co.uk> wrote in message news:v579a1tfob0mn2aqjdvnfs1o2medspu74t@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 09:54:40 GMT, "Mike Redrobe" <mike@redrobe.net>
> wrote:
>

> >Tivo does a good job of deciding what you *would have wanted* to watch
> >and recording it for you, *in advance*.
> >You always have a list of whole programs/filsm to watch on tivo,
> >sky+ is a glorified VCR, not a PVR
> >
> >Is it worth losing all the tivo functionality and ease of use for an extra
> >tuner?
> >Those that have used both tivo and sky+, say no.
>
> All the tivo functionality = a box that tells me what it thinks I
> should watch, rather than recording what I want to record. Thanks, but
> no thanks - I'll pass.

You appear to be confused. If my DirecTV DVR (TiVo) started recording
what it thinks I should watch, rather than recording what I want to view;
I would have returned the DVR as defective. I've not read of anyone having
this problem. It is obvious you don't have any experience with a TiVo.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:26:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

In article <7ba6a111qn7p7edqbtv8dkfsr9j7dqp5n7@4ax.com>, graham@dircon.co.uk
says...
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:47:22 +0100, Dom Robinson
> <Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:
>

> >We all have to sleep or work, or even both, but you won't get the full value
> >of the tremendous beast that is a TiVo and which pisses all over a Sky+ from a
> >great height.
>
> ...Until you want to try recording two programmes whilst watching a
> 3rd programme off the box at the same time.

As I stated previously, with the number of quick-repeats-within-the-week, it's
extremely unlikely that TWO subscription-based primetime shows will clash at
the same time, NEITHER of which get a quick repeat.

Whenever there's a clash between two things the TiVo finds the repeat of one
of them for me anyway, so I don't miss out.

And, like the Sky+, I can happily watch another show while recording one.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor), http://LeilaniWeb.co.uk (editor)
/* 1046 DVDs, 305 games, 145 CDs, 92 cinema films, 33 videos, concerts & news
/* alienVpredator, kung fu hustle, doctor who, constantine, churchillhollywood
Fight back against "PRESS RED": http://dvdfever.co.uk/pressrel/pressred.shtml
DVDfever.co.uk on BBC News 24's Click Online! - http://tinyurl.com/2mqj4
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:29:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

In article <hga6a1prj36bceat97kaf9md2n19edhg9q@4ax.com>, graham@dircon.co.uk
says...
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:48:12 +0100, Dom Robinson
> <Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:
>

> >You can record one channel while watching something back from the box, and
> >given that Sky and other channels repeat most prime-time things within the
> >week they've rather shot themselves in the foot claiming that as a must-have
> >feature
>
> That's wrong.
>
> For well over a year it has been possible to record two programmes on
> a Sky+ box at the same time whilst watching a 3rd programme back off
> the same Sky+ box.

Care to point out what was wrong about the above? I was referring to the TiVo,
given that's the subject, but you keep making it sound as if only the Sky+
allows you to watch already-recorded programmes while recording something at
the same time.

I'm purely indicating that this 'feature' of "record two shows at the same
time" is a rather redundant one, and that's coming from someone like me who
watches more TV than most.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor), http://LeilaniWeb.co.uk (editor)
/* 1046 DVDs, 305 games, 145 CDs, 92 cinema films, 33 videos, concerts & news
/* alienVpredator, kung fu hustle, doctor who, constantine, churchillhollywood
Fight back against "PRESS RED": http://dvdfever.co.uk/pressrel/pressred.shtml
DVDfever.co.uk on BBC News 24's Click Online! - http://tinyurl.com/2mqj4
June 7, 2005 12:29:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:29:13 +0100, Dom Robinson
<Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:

>In article <hga6a1prj36bceat97kaf9md2n19edhg9q@4ax.com>, graham@dircon.co.uk
>says...
>> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:48:12 +0100, Dom Robinson
>> <Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:
>>

>> >You can record one channel while watching something back from the box, and
>> >given that Sky and other channels repeat most prime-time things within the
>> >week they've rather shot themselves in the foot claiming that as a must-have
>> >feature
>>
>> That's wrong.
>>
>> For well over a year it has been possible to record two programmes on
>> a Sky+ box at the same time whilst watching a 3rd programme back off
>> the same Sky+ box.
>
>Care to point out what was wrong about the above?

The fact that you claim Sky have shot themselves in the foot with this
feature.

>I'm purely indicating that this 'feature' of "record two shows at the same
>time" is a rather redundant one, and that's coming from someone like me who
>watches more TV than most.

Redudant in your case for the types of programmes that you watch.

Graham
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:33:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

In article <f8u6a1tmsh3rek983ioqu9ka6j9it515q7@4ax.com>, graham@dircon.co.uk
says...
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 16:56:50 GMT, Andy Turner
> <andyt@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 16:41:25 GMT, graham@dircon.co.uk wrote:

> >>That's wrong.
> >>
> >>For well over a year it has been possible to record two programmes on
> >>a Sky+ box at the same time whilst watching a 3rd programme back off
> >>the same Sky+ box.
> >
> >I think you've misread Dom. He's acknowledging that it is possible,
> >but saying that it's pointless because Sky repeat stuff so often.
>
> I read what he said. I now understand what he is getting at.
>
> However, I would again have to disagree with him. There are lots of
> programmes that are shown once only.

But my point was that it's extremely unlikely for two primetime shows to be in
that situation, as opposed to one subscription and one terrestrial.

For example, let's say at 8pm tonight I wanted to record BOTH Eastenders on
BBC1 and Star Trek Enterprise on Sky Mix, while watching a recording of
Working Lunch earlier in the day, and let's assume neither of the first two
shows got a quick repeat within the week.

I'd simply watch EE on terrestrial while recording Star Trek and watch Working
Lunch afterwards.

> The whole point of a personal video recorder is that you can record
> what you want to watch within reason. A box that can only record one
> channel at a time for me would be a complete and utter waste of time.

Why? How often have two subscription-based primetime shows clashed that have
not got a quick repeat within the week? I bet you couldn't find many, and I
can't ever remember having that problem, due to the number of times certain
primetime shows are quick-repeated.

And you keep making it sound like all other PVRs act like a VCR, as if you
can't watch a second programme while recording the first.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor), http://LeilaniWeb.co.uk (editor)
/* 1046 DVDs, 305 games, 145 CDs, 92 cinema films, 33 videos, concerts & news
/* alienVpredator, kung fu hustle, doctor who, constantine, churchillhollywood
Fight back against "PRESS RED": http://dvdfever.co.uk/pressrel/pressred.shtml
DVDfever.co.uk on BBC News 24's Click Online! - http://tinyurl.com/2mqj4
June 7, 2005 12:33:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:33:13 +0100, Dom Robinson
<Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:

>But my point was that it's extremely unlikely for two primetime shows to be in
>that situation, as opposed to one subscription and one terrestrial.

Unlikely - but not impossible.

>For example, let's say at 8pm tonight I wanted to record BOTH Eastenders on
>BBC1 and Star Trek Enterprise on Sky Mix, while watching a recording of
>Working Lunch earlier in the day, and let's assume neither of the first two
>shows got a quick repeat within the week.

I don't watch lots of prime time shows. I tend to like history and
factual shows. Many of those programmes are not broadcast more than
once in a week.

Even the history channel that will show programmes over and over again
during a week will hit this problem. The history channel will have a
gap in their programming schedule and they will stick a one off filler
documentary into the listings. It is shown once only in that week.

>And you keep making it sound like all other PVRs act like a VCR, as if you
>can't watch a second programme while recording the first.

I've never said that. What I have said is that I like the ability to
record two channels whilst watching a 3rd off the box.

Clearly, you like to have the feature whereby Tivo "assists" you in
selecting what to watch. I prefer to have the ability to record 2
channels at the same time. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Graham
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:35:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

In article <v579a1tfob0mn2aqjdvnfs1o2medspu74t@4ax.com>, graham@dircon.co.uk
says...
> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 09:54:40 GMT, "Mike Redrobe" <mike@redrobe.net>
> wrote:
>

> >Tivo does a good job of deciding what you *would have wanted* to watch
> >and recording it for you, *in advance*.
> >You always have a list of whole programs/filsm to watch on tivo,
> >sky+ is a glorified VCR, not a PVR
> >
> >Is it worth losing all the tivo functionality and ease of use for an extra
> >tuner?
> >Those that have used both tivo and sky+, say no.
>
> All the tivo functionality = a box that tells me what it thinks I
> should watch, rather than recording what I want to record. Thanks, but
> no thanks - I'll pass.

In that case that proves you really haven't got a clue about TiVo.

Any recordings you set up on the TiVo will be recorded. If there's space on
the hard drive, and it's not recording anything you've set up, it may record
suggestions, all of which will be based on things you've recorded in the past.

I've watched a few things on a regular basis, because of the TiVo suggestion.

You seem to think that you might set up, say, Eastenders on BBC1, and the TiVo
will say, "Nah, I think you'd prefer Star Trek on Sky Mix". That doesn't
happen.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor), http://LeilaniWeb.co.uk (editor)
/* 1046 DVDs, 305 games, 145 CDs, 92 cinema films, 33 videos, concerts & news
/* alienVpredator, kung fu hustle, doctor who, constantine, churchillhollywood
Fight back against "PRESS RED": http://dvdfever.co.uk/pressrel/pressred.shtml
DVDfever.co.uk on BBC News 24's Click Online! - http://tinyurl.com/2mqj4
June 7, 2005 12:35:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:35:54 +0100, Dom Robinson
<Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:

>Any recordings you set up on the TiVo will be recorded. If there's space on
>the hard drive, and it's not recording anything you've set up, it may record
>suggestions, all of which will be based on things you've recorded in the past.

You are making the assumption that just because I have watched
something in the past that I would want the unit to record it again in
the future.

>You seem to think that you might set up, say, Eastenders on BBC1, and the TiVo
>will say, "Nah, I think you'd prefer Star Trek on Sky Mix". That doesn't
>happen.

I never said that and I do not think that.

Graham
June 7, 2005 12:38:26 AM

graham@dircon.co.uk wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:29:13 +0100, Dom Robinson
> <Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <hga6a1prj36bceat97kaf9md2n19edhg9q@4ax.com>,
>> graham@dircon.co.uk says...

>>> That's wrong.
>>>
>>> For well over a year it has been possible to record two programmes
>>> on a Sky+ box at the same time whilst watching a 3rd programme
>>> back off the same Sky+ box.
>>
>> Care to point out what was wrong about the above?
>
> The fact that you claim Sky have shot themselves in the foot with this
> feature.
>
>> I'm purely indicating that this 'feature' of "record two shows at
>> the same time" is a rather redundant one, and that's coming from
>> someone like me who watches more TV than most.
>
> Redudant in your case for the types of programmes that you watch.
>
> Graham

Personally I think that Dom's talking rubbish (as usual).

Although I love my TiVo I wish it had two tuners. I frequently have clashes
of programmes, normally dramas that occupy the 9pm slots on different
channels and are only shown once in the week. At the moment I use a VCR to
assist, as long as one of the programmes I want to watch is on terrestrial
of course.

I never watch TiVo's suggestions as I don't have time, so if it were a
choice between the TiVo suggestions and having two tuners I'd choose the
tuners.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:00:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

In article <fm99a1h9ca1cvrnbvumep52e2ettqoe6jt@4ax.com>, graham@dircon.co.uk
says...
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:35:54 +0100, Dom Robinson
> <Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:
>

> >Any recordings you set up on the TiVo will be recorded. If there's space on
> >the hard drive, and it's not recording anything you've set up, it may record
> >suggestions, all of which will be based on things you've recorded in the past.
> >
> You are making the assumption that just because I have watched
> something in the past that I would want the unit to record it again in
> the future.

It doesn't necessarily do that. If the programme has been repeated within the
last 28 days and it's recorded it once already, then it won't record it again
unless I tell it to.

You can give programmes up to 3 thumbs up, or down, to indicate whether you
want certain programmes to be recorded as suggestions more often. Eg. the
Simpsons has 3 thumbs up, but most things I record just have one, which is the
default.

Being able to tweak the suggestions with the thumbs gives the user nothing but
complete control over the device. Hence, even if you'd recorded something and
watched it for a couple of shows without wanting to record more, you could
cancel the season pass and give it a thumbs down.

Looking at the suggestions on my TiVo as I type, it's got some Simpsons, some
stand-up comedy shows from various channels because I like them, and a BBC7
repeat of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, because I record the new shows on Radio
4.

I may watch none of these, but they don't interfere with ANYTHING I've set up
on the TiVo myself, so they can't even begin to hinder any of my own
recordings, and the suggestions will be the first thing to get deleted when
more of my own recordings take up space.

You seem to think that recording suggestions is in anyway a BAD thing, but
it's not. It's often very good, but never gets in the way.

> >You seem to think that you might set up, say, Eastenders on BBC1, and the TiVo
> >will say, "Nah, I think you'd prefer Star Trek on Sky Mix". That doesn't
> >happen.
>
> I never said that and I do not think that.

Then explain your incorrect statement: "All the tivo functionality = a box
that tells me what it thinks I should watch, rather than recording what I want
to record."
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor), http://LeilaniWeb.co.uk (editor)
/* 1046 DVDs, 305 games, 145 CDs, 92 cinema films, 33 videos, concerts & news
/* alienVpredator, kung fu hustle, doctor who, constantine, churchillhollywood
Fight back against "PRESS RED": http://dvdfever.co.uk/pressrel/pressred.shtml
DVDfever.co.uk on BBC News 24's Click Online! - http://tinyurl.com/2mqj4
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:06:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

In article <2ea9a15pa040d1bi6qk457rro8bsui2kb5@4ax.com>, graham@dircon.co.uk
says...
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:29:13 +0100, Dom Robinson
> <Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <hga6a1prj36bceat97kaf9md2n19edhg9q@4ax.com>, graham@dircon.co.uk
> >says...

> >> That's wrong.
> >>
> >> For well over a year it has been possible to record two programmes on
> >> a Sky+ box at the same time whilst watching a 3rd programme back off
> >> the same Sky+ box.
> >
> >Care to point out what was wrong about the above?
>
> The fact that you claim Sky have shot themselves in the foot with this
> feature.

They have.

> >I'm purely indicating that this 'feature' of "record two shows at the same
> >time" is a rather redundant one, and that's coming from someone like me who
> >watches more TV than most.
>
> Redudant in your case for the types of programmes that you watch.

Then point out which programmes and how often this happens.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor), http://LeilaniWeb.co.uk (editor)
/* 1046 DVDs, 305 games, 145 CDs, 92 cinema films, 33 videos, concerts & news
/* alienVpredator, kung fu hustle, doctor who, constantine, churchillhollywood
Fight back against "PRESS RED": http://dvdfever.co.uk/pressrel/pressred.shtml
DVDfever.co.uk on BBC News 24's Click Online! - http://tinyurl.com/2mqj4
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:09:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

In article <8s99a1hi4bneck65mvokf0ak3fq4ub8qv4@4ax.com>, graham@dircon.co.uk
says...
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:33:13 +0100, Dom Robinson
> <Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:
>

> >But my point was that it's extremely unlikely for two primetime shows to be in
> >that situation, as opposed to one subscription and one terrestrial.
> >
> Unlikely - but not impossible.

Extremely rare. There's a number of +1 channels around which doubles the
number of times such a programme will be shown that week.

> >For example, let's say at 8pm tonight I wanted to record BOTH Eastenders on
> >BBC1 and Star Trek Enterprise on Sky Mix, while watching a recording of
> >Working Lunch earlier in the day, and let's assume neither of the first two
> >shows got a quick repeat within the week.
> >
> I don't watch lots of prime time shows. I tend to like history and
> factual shows. Many of those programmes are not broadcast more than
> once in a week.
>
> Even the history channel that will show programmes over and over again
> during a week will hit this problem. The history channel will have a
> gap in their programming schedule and they will stick a one off filler
> documentary into the listings. It is shown once only in that week.

History Channel has a +1 alternative, so those programmes do get a repeat.

Let's have some examples of actual programmes and actual times of broadcast,
which I keep asking for and you're not supplying.

> >And you keep making it sound like all other PVRs act like a VCR, as if you
> >can't watch a second programme while recording the first.
>
> I've never said that. What I have said is that I like the ability to
> record two channels whilst watching a 3rd off the box.

But it's not a justification for purchasing Sky+ over TiVo, given the clear
benefits of the latter.

> Clearly, you like to have the feature whereby Tivo "assists" you in
> selecting what to watch. I prefer to have the ability to record 2
> channels at the same time. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

We can agree that you don't understand that a TiVo does more than just
"assists" the viewer. As someone else in this thread said, there are people
who've used both Sky+ and TiVo and prefer the latter, every time.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor), http://LeilaniWeb.co.uk (editor)
/* 1046 DVDs, 305 games, 145 CDs, 92 cinema films, 33 videos, concerts & news
/* alienVpredator, kung fu hustle, doctor who, constantine, churchillhollywood
Fight back against "PRESS RED": http://dvdfever.co.uk/pressrel/pressred.shtml
DVDfever.co.uk on BBC News 24's Click Online! - http://tinyurl.com/2mqj4
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:09:49 PM

In article <MPG.1d0ebdeb758dcd8b989ba7@nntp.dsl.pipex.com>, Dom Robinson wrote:
> In article <8s99a1hi4bneck65mvokf0ak3fq4ub8qv4@4ax.com>, graham@dircon.co.uk
> says...
>
>> Clearly, you like to have the feature whereby Tivo "assists" you in
>> selecting what to watch. I prefer to have the ability to record 2
>> channels at the same time. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
>
> We can agree that you don't understand that a TiVo does more than just
> "assists" the viewer. As someone else in this thread said, there are people
> who've used both Sky+ and TiVo and prefer the latter, every time.

Hmmmn. I guess this is the crux of it....

Have you ever used a tivo, Graham?

Or are you, god forbid on usenet, talking about something you haven't got
experience of?

Smid
June 7, 2005 9:07:50 PM

* Dom Robinson Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> I'm purely indicating that this 'feature' of "record two shows at
> the same time" is a rather redundant one, and that's coming from
> someone like me who watches more TV than most.

Well considering that during the peak of the TV viewing season I have
somewhere between 80-100 SP's and seeing that my dual tuner Tivo is
quite frequently in use on both tuners, I would have to disagree. In
fact I am still getting conflicts that never get resolved and I monitor
recording history and my season pass priority pretty carefully to avoid
these conflicts when at all possible. I am hoping that they repeat
Veronica Mars this summer as I missed quite a bit due to conflicts.

--
David
Anonymous

On 2005-06-07, SINNER <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:
> * Dom Robinson Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
>> I'm purely indicating that this 'feature' of "record two shows at
>> the same time" is a rather redundant one, and that's coming from
>> someone like me who watches more TV than most.
>
> Well considering that during the peak of the TV viewing season I have
> somewhere between 80-100 SP's and seeing that my dual tuner Tivo is
> quite frequently in use on both tuners, I would have to disagree. In
> fact I am still getting conflicts that never get resolved and I monitor
> recording history and my season pass priority pretty carefully to avoid
> these conflicts when at all possible. I am hoping that they repeat
> Veronica Mars this summer as I missed quite a bit due to conflicts.

I hear ya. I'm glad I have two TiVos (one dual tuner and one SA). I put
the VM SP on the "backup" SA since the dual tuner was almost always busy
at that time. Kudos to the season pass conflict resolver in tivoweb+
also - very handy to find conflicts and auto-schedule them on my other
TiVo.

--
This is my .sig
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

In article <Xns966E7B661C0CELouiscypherhellorg@140.99.99.130>,
arcade.master@googlemail.net says...
> * Dom Robinson Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
> > I'm purely indicating that this 'feature' of "record two shows at
> > the same time" is a rather redundant one, and that's coming from
> > someone like me who watches more TV than most.
>
> Well considering that during the peak of the TV viewing season I have
> somewhere between 80-100 SP's and seeing that my dual tuner Tivo is
> quite frequently in use on both tuners, I would have to disagree. In
> fact I am still getting conflicts that never get resolved and I monitor
> recording history and my season pass priority pretty carefully to avoid
> these conflicts when at all possible. I am hoping that they repeat
> Veronica Mars this summer as I missed quite a bit due to conflicts.

I'm not saying I wouldn't refuse the option if it were there, but it's still a
very rare time that would require it.

I could also get a bigger hard drive, but if I'm not quite keeping up with all
the stuff I need to watch as things stand now, the only viable answer is to
scale down some of the things I am trying to watch regularly.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor), http://LeilaniWeb.co.uk (editor)
/* 1046 DVDs, 305 games, 145 CDs, 92 cinema films, 33 videos, concerts & news
/* alienVpredator, kung fu hustle, doctor who, constantine, churchillhollywood
Fight back against "PRESS RED": http://dvdfever.co.uk/pressrel/pressred.shtml
DVDfever.co.uk on BBC News 24's Click Online! - http://tinyurl.com/2mqj4
June 8, 2005 12:55:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,uk.media.tv.misc (More info?)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:00:36 +0100, Dom Robinson
<Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:

>Then explain your incorrect statement: "All the tivo functionality = a box
>that tells me what it thinks I should watch, rather than recording what I want
>to record."

It's not incorrect. I want the box to only record specifically what I
tell it to record.

Graham
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:55:46 AM

graham@dircon.co.uk wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:00:36 +0100, Dom Robinson
> <Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:
>

>>Then explain your incorrect statement: "All the tivo functionality = a box
>>that tells me what it thinks I should watch, rather than recording what I want
>>to record."
>

> It's not incorrect. I want the box to only record specifically what I
> tell it to record.
>
> Graham

Graham, I really don't think you fully understand what you're accusing
tivo of here. The only thing that Tivo may do that violates what you
are describing is "suggestions", where Tivo records things it thinks you
might like to see, even though you haven't specifically asked for them.
Otherwise, Tivo doesn't record a thing (except some well-seperated
feature items) that you don't request. So on surface it would seem that
your statement is correct.

*However*, you are not taking into account 2 things:

- "Suggestions" are the lowest priority items on the Tivo, they will
*never* preempt a scheduled or requested recording, whether season pass,
wish list, one time request, etc. If you want to completely ignore them
you can, and with Tivo's folder structure they're all in one place so
it's easy to do so.

- "Suggestions" are really simple to disable if for some reason they
really offend you. It takes about 10 seconds to do and you'll never see
another suggestion again (unless you want to reenable it, of course).

What you're doing is like criticizing a cell phone service for having
free call-waiting. If you don't like it just disable it, but how is it
bad that they offer it for free if you want it?

Randy S.
June 8, 2005 1:05:32 AM

* Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:00:36 +0100, Dom Robinson
> <Usetheaddress@inthesig.com> wrote:
>

>>Then explain your incorrect statement: "All the tivo functionality
>>= a box that tells me what it thinks I should watch, rather than
>>recording what I want to record."
>
> It's not incorrect. I want the box to only record specifically
> what I tell it to record.

It IS incorrect

What makes you think a Tivo wont do that? You do realize suggestions
can be turned off VERY easily right?

--
David
!