Windows says my 2.53 GHZ Pentium 4 is only 1.9 GHZ?

Shineyy

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
The HP website says my motherboard can handle max 2.53ghz P4, but it won't recognize the full speed. I don't really know what to do.

I went into the bios and there was an option to change the CPU multiplier.. now there isn't anymore, it just disappeared. There is an option to change the "I/O" settings, but I don't know if I should mess with that.

I have an HP pavilion 551w, motherboard is ASUS P4S-LA. there is no manual for it anymore, I checked the HP website already. I have the latest version of bios installed.

CPU-Z reports the correct processor speed, but says it's only going at 1900:
14cw6lt.png

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Check your Motherboard BIOS the FSB shoudl be 533 and the Bus Speed should be 133 and then 19x133 = 2527....-> 2.53Ghz

Sometimes BIOS reset may cause this case...When you notice this happen...?

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Then I have no idea.... I see one time like that is the CPU issue

If you need more help I need to know couple things.
What memory you use ?
you can take a image on the SPD on each memory on CPU-Z
I cannot find the manuel on line..

Unless you can take the image on each screen..

When you notice this problem....?
Is it happen after you doing something..?
or this is second hand computer you buy it from some one else...?

Just because the motherboard can support a CPU of that speed, does not mean that's the speed of the CPU in your computer. Not sure why CPU-Z is saying the processor is a 2.53 but do you know what the actual CPU model that is installed in your PC is? CPU-Z could be reading a processor string that is not setup for the right speed of the processor.

The specs say "Maximum supported" is 2.53 not "Installed".

He never said he has a 2.53GHz cpu 2.53ghz is the maximum the motherboard suports. The HP model he listed originally came with a P4 1.6GHz cpu with a 400FSB. CPU-Z is showing the same revision and stepping as the 400FSB northwood I linked to.

Here is a link to his motherboard.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07620

Since it supports P4 williamette's as well as northwoods, I'm guessing he has an older Northwood that runs at 400fsb which his CPU-Z seems to be confirming.

He said it "won't recognize the full speed" of 2.53 which sounds like he thought he has a 2.53 processor. Meaning my CPU should be running at 2.53 but it's only running at 1.9 as in "it's only going at 1900". While he never said exactly "I have a 2.53 gig CPU", the post reads exactly that.

Shineyy

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Hello. It is a 2.53ghz processor, I know because I purchased it. I also tested it in my friend's pc and it works at normal speed there. I want to make my pc recognize the full speed of this processor.

I'll overclock it or do anything I have to in order to fix this problem.. I just don't know how, so I asked for help :)

Thanks for all the replies

So this was an add-on CPU for the system, not the stock one? Hawkeye22 pointed out the issue already, the FSB is set for a different CPU than yours, I'm sure for the original one that was there. Some BIOS have a "hidden" advanced mode you have to turn on to get into more advanced settings. See if yours has that.

Anything else that may have been causing this, or was changed from sock?

Shineyy

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
I've had a previous 2.53 cpu installed on this machine, and it was displayed as 1.9 as well. Both cpus worked in other pcs, just not this one. I have no idea how to get into the secret advanced mode in my bios, they don't make the manual for it anymore. I posted a picture of the only thing in the bios displaying anything related to my processor.