Sign in with
Your question

What is wrong with my PC.

Last response: in Components
December 8, 2009 12:24:04 AM

My specs are: i7 920|Raven RV01|3GB 1600Mhz|DK-X58-T3EH6|GTX 275|Corsair HX-620|WD Black 1TB|

When i start my PC it lights up for one second then loses power and then it won't start till i switch my PSU off then back to on. The motherboard has 3 LED's which all light up when connected to the PSU. When I do try to start it the lights on the case light up for one second and the fans begin to spin but don't even do one revaluation before the loses power.

I took my RAM, G card, all fans but the CPU fan and all SATA devices plus all USB devices, leaving only my MOBO, CPU and PSU which would not power up.

I took my PSU out of my case and tried to start it with a paper clip, this worked and the fan in the PSU spinned and the PSU made a repetitive clicking sound.

I checked the PSU with a PSU tester (Google "PC/SPS" tester to see what i mean) to see if it was working and it is lighting up all the light but the -5v which according to PSU tester is meant to be lit up when the 24 pin plug is plugged in. Also the 8 pin/6 pin plugs are missing a 5v light as well which should be on when they are plugged in.

That is all i can think of for now will add more when i can think of more or questions are asked.

Thanks all.

More about : wrong

December 8, 2009 3:36:59 AM

It seems like you've answered your question.. replace the power supply!
m
l
December 8, 2009 4:21:41 AM

Just making sure. It cost $40(AU) postage + $20(AU) if they find out its working when it gets RMA'd. So best to make sure.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2009 5:11:21 AM

Could be some loose connection, check the wires if they are fitted in tightly.
m
l
December 8, 2009 5:39:38 AM

Don't think so I re built it again.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2009 6:01:36 AM

Before going in for the RMA and other last ditch effort, check the PSU on a friend's PC and see if its working there. If it does, then you can say PSU is not the problem!
m
l
December 8, 2009 7:17:08 AM

Yes, will try to find a friend that will should be able to but will have to wait till its morning/midday till it is day time/he wakes up.
m
l
December 8, 2009 2:04:53 PM

Before I paid anyone anything, I'd disassemble the PC and just set it up OUTSIDE of your case. Perhaps you have an electrical short somewhere. That only takes time to eliminate... after that, yeah... RMA the PSU.
m
l
December 8, 2009 6:32:09 PM

Yea I have been rather lazy/buzy at the moment so I think I'll take the time out and do that.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
December 9, 2009 12:14:30 AM

Kasalal said:

I checked the PSU with a PSU tester (Google "PC/SPS" tester to see what i mean) to see if it was working and it is lighting up all the light but the -5v which according to PSU tester is meant to be lit up when the 24 pin plug is plugged in. Also the 8 pin/6 pin plugs are missing a 5v light as well which should be on when they are plugged in.

Sigh. :pfff: 

Modern ATX Ver. 2.0 and better PSU's do not have a -5 volt output. If you look really close, you will not see a white wire (-5 volt line) going to the power plug.

The 6 and 8 pin connectors are 12 volts only. If you look at the connectors, all they have is yellow (12 volt) and black (ground) wires. These colors are standard.

Do you get a PSGood or PowerOK lamp?

And even if you do, a PSU tester puts a very minimal load on the power supply. A PSU tester can show good and the PSU can still be bad. The surest way to test is to try it in another similar system.

And if the PSU works in another system:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

m
l
!