SSD on RIAD but want AHCI

Feasle

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Hello,
I have a low-end kingston ssd on a gigabyte 790xta-ud4. In my bios the kingston drive comes up under the raid configuration as the only raid drive. I'm not sure why. I can set my WD caviar to AHCI as well as my DVD player, but not the SSD. There's an option for deleting RAID data in the bios. Would deleting the raid info allow me to switch over to ahci or would it totally ruin my life?

It would totally ruin your life.

The short answer is "leave it as it is." A BIOS controller handling an SSD in RAID mode is identical to one handling the same SSD in AHCI mode, as long as you don't bind the SSD into a RAID set.

More experienced RAIDers, am I full of waste material?

^ Your statment about trim is correct IF the chipset is INTEL and the RST driver is ver 9.6 or latter. I think his MB is a discontinued AMD MB, so unless AMD has published a New driver (ie in the last 6 monthes) then TRIM will not be passed if the bios is not set to AHCI and the default msahci is used.

Not an AMD user. 6 monthes ago they did not have a driver that would pass trim and AMD users had to rely on the default MS AHCI driver which required the bios to be set to AHCI. I had heard, but not verified, that the finally had a driver.

Added:
ATA is in two flavors (A) PATA (Formally IDE) and (B) SATA. For an PATA (Driver is normally pcide) but a the SATA SSD will take a considerable performance Hit.
To verify the driver download AS-SSD, install and open - Don't run the benchmark, Look at the upper right. It will list the driver and if OK or BAD. It will also display the partition alingment as OK if OK.

Feasle

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
in AS-SSD is lists the drive as msahci OK which I guess means that everything is cool? This has turned out to be WAY more complicated than I would have thought.