Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezes, and then loops into a reboot cycle

Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2009 4:39:17 PM

Recently built a new computer. Initially went to intall Windows Vista and progress froze about 1/4 of the way of loadig setup files. Computer automatically reboots and goes into a loop where it tried to start, freezes and then reboots again, never reaching the BIOS menu. Should note it will freeze for roughly 30secs before it reboots. Manually turned power off, waited approx 30 seconds and booted again. Goes to try and install windows, freezes and repeats the loop.

Checked all connections and found the +4 power connector for the main power to the MB was loose. Made sure it was plugged in tightly and tried again with the same results.

Verified my memory were in the correct slots and they were. Pulled the two of the three sticks and tried again. Got a bit further, but froze at 0% Decompressing files for the installation and then went into its reboot loop.

Tried one of the other two memory sticks and swapped Radeon card for a Nvidia card i had in my old computer. Got a bit farther this time, got to 90% for decompressing files.

Tried the last memory stick and this time was able to successfully install Windows. Went to install drivers, made it through 75% and it froze again, and went into reboot loop.

Placed the Radeon card back in since graphics cards did not seem to make much of a difference.

Tried the "Breadboard" method and in the process found a small spec of loose material on the back of the MB, removed it and tried again. Same result as I had seen previously. Although this time the graphics went garbled just before reboot (with the Radeon card in place, did not notice this with the Nvidia card but screen just froze and then rebooted).

Setup is as follows:
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520
HIS H489FT1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

Not sure what the issue is or what to try next. Could it be overheating? When i got into the BIOS after it went into its reboot loop, the HW monitor said CPU temp ranged from 96-103 degrees F. This was within 2min at most of it going into its reboot loop.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
September 18, 2009 4:42:40 PM

If that's a correct reading, you are burning up your CPU!

Remove the CPU fan, reapply some thermalpaste and reseat the fan. Make sure it's secure.
m
l
September 18, 2009 4:55:17 PM

aford10 said:

Remove the CPU fan, reapply some thermalpaste and reseat the fan. Make sure it's secure.

Thanks for the reply.

When i was doing my research and reading reviews, in particular the HS w/ fan, many people were talking temperatures at load of like 125 degrees F. Which made me think that over-heating is not the issue even though that temp should be a few degrees lower. Is what the BIOS HW monitor seeing less than the actual temp the CPU is at? Or is the CPU cooling that quick from the time it reboots to when i'm able to go and see the temp in BIOS?

Definately going to hold off on booting it again until i get my attack plan down.

Edit: Should probably use C .....so when i went into BIOS its says CPU is running at 37 to 41 degrees C. And i've read that some people were getting 55- even 65 degrees C
m
l
Related resources
September 18, 2009 5:15:53 PM

aford10 said:

That's not correct. 100F is only about 37C. Nothing wrong with that. Sounds more like something didn't install correctly from the mobo chipset drivers. Some things need to be installed AFTER windows and service packs are installed. I know with XP, it was very specific about installed a certain driver only after SP 2 or 3 was installed or it would loop exactly like you're describing.

No clue if this is the case with Vista, but worth looking into. Its def not a heat issue.
m
l
September 18, 2009 5:47:41 PM

AMDThunder said:
That's not correct. 100F is only about 37C. Nothing wrong with that. Sounds more like something didn't install correctly from the mobo chipset drivers. Some things need to be installed AFTER windows and service packs are installed. I know with XP, it was very specific about installed a certain driver only after SP 2 or 3 was installed or it would loop exactly like you're describing.

No clue if this is the case with Vista, but worth looking into. Its def not a heat issue.

Thanks for the reply. Would this hold true in the case that this behavior was occuring even before Windows was installed?

One idea that popped into my head was....do i need or should i check the timing on the memory? Would this have anything to do with my issue?

m
l
September 18, 2009 6:27:05 PM

Scotty81 said:
Thanks for the reply.

When i was doing my research and reading reviews, in particular the HS w/ fan, many people were talking temperatures at load of like 125 degrees F. Which made me think that over-heating is not the issue even though that temp should be a few degrees lower. Is what the BIOS HW monitor seeing less than the actual temp the CPU is at? Or is the CPU cooling that quick from the time it reboots to when i'm able to go and see the temp in BIOS?

Definately going to hold off on booting it again until i get my attack plan down.

Edit: Should probably use C .....so when i went into BIOS its says CPU is running at 37 to 41 degrees C. And i've read that some people were getting 55- even 65 degrees C

My fault...I didn't realize you were measuring in Farenheit. Temps are usually measured in Celsius.

If you're getting garbled display, you probably have a flaky video card. You may want to swap a different one in to test.
m
l
September 18, 2009 7:06:23 PM

If it was rebooting prior to OS install, might also check for a short. Assemble everything outside the case to make sure nothing is shorting out.
m
l
September 18, 2009 7:12:04 PM

^^ The OP already tried.

Scotty81 said:
Tried the "Breadboard" method and in the process found a small spec of loose material on the back of the MB, removed it and tried again. Same result as I had seen previously. Although this time the graphics went garbled just before reboot (with the Radeon card in place, did not notice this with the Nvidia card but screen just froze and then rebooted).

m
l
September 18, 2009 7:39:46 PM

Doh, sorry. One of those days...
m
l
September 18, 2009 7:46:14 PM

I did the same thing w/ the F and C.
m
l
September 18, 2009 10:50:45 PM

aford10 said:
My fault...I didn't realize you were measuring in Farenheit. Temps are usually measured in Celsius.

If you're getting garbled display, you probably have a flaky video card. You may want to swap a different one in to test.

During my troubleshooting, I did have a Nvidia card that i had been using in my old computer and still had the freezing and then the reboot loop issue.
m
l
September 19, 2009 2:54:13 AM

Check your RAM. Boot and run MemTest
m
l
September 19, 2009 6:00:20 PM

alikum said:
Check your RAM. Boot and run MemTest

I tested the memory and it checked out.

Can North Bridge overheating cause lockups like what i am experiencing? After I shut my machine down, I felt the heat sink for the North bridge and its hot to the touch.
m
l
January 24, 2010 1:29:32 AM

Scotty81 said:
I tested the memory and it checked out.

Can North Bridge overheating cause lockups like what i am experiencing? After I shut my machine down, I felt the heat sink for the North bridge and its hot to the touch.

Hi, just curious, did you ever fix this problem? I just built a computer and am having the EXACT same problems. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Clint
m
l
January 30, 2010 10:57:37 PM

I ended up RMAing the MB and the replacement iI got has worked fine.
m
l
!