Spooler is not running
I have been having problems with my spooler, I think I have it fixed and now when I go to add my Lexmark printer, it appears it is going to load and then comes back with the error "RPC Server is Univailable" I have tried to fix this by making sure it is Remote Procedure Call is started and is set to automatic....I am at a loss and very frustrated. I would love to purchase the CleanFix or what ever it is called, but can't afford it.
Check your services... (Control Panel\Management Tools\Services). According to Microsoft, the RPC Server Sevice is not dependant on other services, so other stopped services should not affect it.... but, according to comments in a form thread, a guy had the same problem and starting the Server Service which was stopped, did solve his problem... therefore the Server service was indeed affecting in some indirect way. So check your services, according to the following page, restart the computer and see if your problem is solved. If all your services are running according to defaults, click on the RPC Server Service in the Session Startup tab, and see it says the service is Active for Hardware Profile 1
Default settings for services
Solved: The RPC server is unavailable.
Try this Microsoft Fix-it
Restart Print Spooler Fix it Live!
Printer problems in Windows Fix it
If it doesn't help, go to Control Panel\Management Tools\Event Viewer... see if any event has registered the error and if points to the cause.
I executed the above and now have the error "RPC Server Unavailable" so I looked at the above and still was unable to accomplish anything. I looked to determine what RPC was dependent on and there was nothing, there were several things that were dependent on it such as the 32spooler.exe thing.
I am over this computer...I just want a quick fix...I have wasted days on this and have gone for months without a printer because of it.
I am sure once I get the RPC Server going again I will get the print spooler error again...I can only imagine that when I was cleaning up files that I must have deleted a program or something that it was relying on but I would have no clue what that would be.
I know you want a quick fix but unfortunately the Microsoft Fix-it was it and it didn't work, so you have to keep trying short of reinstalling the System. Follow the next steps from 1 through 6 before repeating the Microsoft Fix-it, and if this doesn't work, do the RPC Server Unavailable repair following the instructions on the second link... this should work if done to the letter and if it doesn't, what remains is a repair install or reformat.
1. Perform a chkdsk /r according to the last link.
2. Remove all the printer drivers you can find... uninstall any printer in the Device Manager, and the C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers folder.. (this because a corrupted driver can be causing the problem).
3. After deleting the printer drivers, see if the RPC Server Service and the Spooler Service can be started.
4. Perform an SFC /Scannow with the Windows XP CD in the CD/DVD Drive. Go to Start\Run (type; sfc /scannow) and press Enter. This will restore possible missing or corrupted Operating System files... this in case you deleted OS files accidentally.
5. I would also recommend a virus-malware scan before anything, in case the problem is caused by malware or infected drivers or sevices.
6. Reset default registry and file permissions with Secedit or Subinacl (XP Pro or Home) according to the first link... this because I suspect you have a permissions issue that is preventing your changes from taking effect or doing any real change.
7. If none of these helps, you will probably have to repair-reinstall Windows XP, or a clean installation (reformat) as last resort.
Reset the Registry and the File Permissions in Windows XP
RPC Server Unavailable or RPC Server Not Responding In Windows XP and Windows Vista
How to Use Chkdsk in Windows XP
bbrunton said:I have been having problems with my spooler, I think I have it fixed and now when I go to add my Lexmark printer, it appears it is going to load and then comes back with the error "RPC Server is Univailable" I have tried to fix this by making sure it is Remote Procedure Call is started and is set to automatic....I am at a loss and very frustrated. I would love to purchase the CleanFix or what ever it is called, but can't afford it.
Should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us through email at firstname.lastname@example.org or chat with one of our customer advocates at http://bit.ly/boldchat (available Monday - Friday (US: 4:00am - 7:00pm EST; UK: 9:00am - 11:00pm GMT)). We would be very glad to assist you.
You may also contact our toll-free number at 1-800-LEXMARK (1-800-539-6275).