Sign in with
Your question

Problem with Stock 920 & GA-X58A-UD3R

Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
March 7, 2010 5:09:30 PM

Just put together a new system using an GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard with an i7 920. I'm using the stock cooler etc so don't plan to overclock initially. *BUT* when I boot its says my CPU is 2.00Ghz (133x15), why woudn't the motherboard recognize the CPU and default to 2.66Ghz?

Is this normal?

Also the memory is 1066 even though I bought CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 1600 (Model TR3X6G1600C8 G).

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you

More about : problem stock 920 x58a ud3r

a c 177 V Motherboard
March 7, 2010 8:27:06 PM

CPUs have been doing this for more than a decade! When it's 'lightly loaded', i.e., essentially sitting there twiddling its thumbs, it 'down-volt's and 'down-clock's to save energy (negligible in desktops, but very important to notebooks)...

The relevant setting are:

On the " Advanced CPU Features" sub-page of the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page of the BIOS -
"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)"
"C3/C6/C7 State Support"
"CPU EIST Function"
(page 41 of your manual...)

...all but "C3/C6/C7 State Support" are enabled, by default...

m
l
March 8, 2010 6:28:03 PM

I have the same board and there is a system that comes with it called "Smart6" or something. In there it has different options such as

power tweak
dual bios
energy

perhaps make sure that you dont have some of the energy options turned on that would potentially clock down the speeds.

FYI I have the same board, CPU and RAM @ 1600 and it reads them all fine at rated speeds

Hope this helps
m
l
!