david2655

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hi everyone, im a first time builder and ive done a lot of research, and i was thinking about what storage i want for my build. Its going to be for casual use, internet etc. and gaming. Ive narrowed it down to these:

1xHDD ~ £40

2xHDD's in raid 0 ~ £80

1xSSD(60gb boot drive/basic apps) + 1 HDD(storage) ~ £140

1xSSD(60gb boot drive/basic apps) + 2 HDD's in raid 0 ~ £180

the drives i was looking at were a samsung spinpoint F3 1TB for the HDD and a OCZ 60GB Agility 3 for the SSD.

Price isnt a massive issue, but i want the best value, if that makes sense :kaola: so id like to hear your view and opinions!

oh, and i reckon i only need about 1TB of storage, im looking for comments based purely on comparing price-performance

No heartburn with SSD + raid0 HDD setup. Remember Raid0 will only benifit working with large file types such as: DVD 1 gig vobs, Bluray video (upto 40 gigs for one file), CAD/CAM drawings, Large spreadsheet and Photes. Game maps may load slightly faster.

On SSD, Highly recommend a larger SSD. 60 May sound find, but may find downstream that it was a poor choice. Min size, 80 gigs - recommended size - 120->128 gig.

For SATA III SSDs - two choices really, the SF22xx based SSD and the Marvel Based SSDs. The SF22xx SSDs (ie Vertex3/agility III) are the fastest going by benchmarks, but in real life only 10->15% higher performance. Note 10-15% performance diff in day-to-day workload is normally not enought to notice. The Marvel based SSDs (C300, M4, Intel 510, also a Plextor model) are less probmatic (that is they have a lower "customer DISsatifaction").

And I put my money where my mouth is, Just ordered the crucial 128 gig M4.
Note (private rant): I own two 120 gig agility III - Never again will OCZ see the inside of my computer.

david2655

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
hmm, well based on that, i dont suppose a raid 0 setup is really worth it for my use. I suppose the question now is, is the SSD + HDD solution worth the massive price difference? eg. £40 HDD vs about £200 for a 120gb SSD + HDD????

There in lies the the Real choice. Personnally, all My current systems (5 of them) use SSD + HDD. One in closet and one I took into work use raid0 HDD. Wife's system is two single HDD's - (May convert to SSD, but will be a real pain as I will have to clone from HDD, Clean install is not an option for her system.

Added: Really losey, the cost differential between here and England (have 3 brother-in-laws there. You Quoted a cost of 200 pounds (about $320) for a 120 gig Sata III drive. About an hour ago I just ordered the 128 Gig SATA III Crucial M4 for $212. The real diff is due primarilly to Taxes.

david2655

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

Damn, yeah the 128 gig crucial M4 is £170 here + £40 for the HDD, so i dont think i can really justify it, i might just go with a single HDD, i dunno yet, ill see what my budget is when i tally up the rest of the system. Any more opinions are appreciated :)

didn't memtion what system uyo're looking at. If SB, take a look at the z68.
with the Z68 you can use upto a 64 gig SSD as a cache for the HDD. Intel makes a 40 gig drive (I think it's the 310) that is speacially for this purpose. It speeds up HDD performance upto 4x - Much better tan a raid0 setup. The Intel drive uses SLC, not the typical MLC.

mekunekud

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

How does it increase the performance in relation to recording via things like FRAPs and so on? I am looking into storage in a new PC and am currently looking at 1 or 2 2TB Samsung F4s. Would it be worth it to use a SSD on the system via SLC?