AHCI and Raid controller woes

Hi everyone! First post here on tomshardware.

I have a (non-crucial, I guess) issue with my storage setup. Here's my PC, I hand-built it just under a month ago:
Mobo: Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 (BIOS is American Megatrends v. 1702)
CPU: Phenom II X6 1090T BE
Mem: 16Gb Gskill Ripjaws
GPU: HD6950 1GB
Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate HDDs in Raid0 and 1x OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD

When properly configured, my SSD worked blindingly fast (my first SSD experience) and got a 7.9 WEI. However, I later installed the Raid0 setup and this is were my BIOS lacks versatility: SATA slots 1-4 may be set to AHCI, Raid, or IDE. The remaining 2 slots (slots 4-6) are slightly independent of this, as they may be set either to what 1-4 are set to, or IDE. Now - my SSD was originally in AHCI mode, but since I raided the new HDDs, AHCI is no longer an option in bios with Raid turned on for 1-4. The SSD's WEI dropped to 6.9, and seems to work (just the smallest bit) slower. The speed is the same when the SSD is set to IDE or Raid, but I obviously lost TRIM because I can't run it in AHCI mode.

So - is there a way to force my bios to run both a Raid and an AHCI mode? Or should I bite the bullet and find a program to manually TRIM the SSD and set it to Raid with the others? Thanks for any help.
2 answers Last reply
More about ahci raid controller woes
  1. You should set it to RAID like the others, since with RAID you get TRIM support, as long as the SSD is not part of the RAID.
  2. tecmo34 said:
    You should set it to RAID like the others, since with RAID you get TRIM support, as long as the SSD is not part of the RAID.

Really? I was under the impression that TRIM was only for AHCI...haha what a dummy. Thanks Mr Moderator.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD NAS / RAID Storage