Sapphire Radeon HD4670 Ultimate
WD 300GB velociraptor
Asus DRW22B1LT DVD
LG GBC-H20L Blu-Ray reader
2x Seagate 500GB SATAII
WD 1TB SATAII
Stock speeds - No overclocking

History:
Had some issues 6 months ago when first built and had to swap out the MB (mad channels for the RAM). Went through extensive tests and set the voltages and settings in the BIOS. System ran solid for several months then went south after tryng to adda hard drive. BSOD and shut downs, but would always post. Thought VIsta was corrupted and did a freah install of software and drivers (and imaged it using Acronis) about a month ago.

Current issue:
One of the 120mm fans was pluged into the "pwr_fan" header on the MB, would occaisionly stop working. If I jiggled the connection, it would go back on, but fail again. So I decided to just hook the fan up directly to the PSU. First mistake I probably made was doing this while the system was on. Although I've never had issues playing with something as simple as a fan, the system didn't like it and tried to restart. However, NOW it would not post. All the phase LEDs would light up, but there would be a regular flickering with clicking sound from the optical drives and the MB as if it were trying to post, but stuck. I tried unplugging the system, restarting...no luck. I actually tried removing the RAM and restarting to see if I'd get a beep (for missing RAM) and still got the same lights, clicking and no sound.

I've read the "new build won't boot" checklist. But I don't think much of it applies since the system was running fine. Seems like a hardware issue now? I'm afraid I shorted something when I was playing with the fan, but where do I start? It's a pretty tight case, so I like to do whatever I can before taking stuff out. Suggestions?

More about : running post

September 18, 2009 6:24:36 PM

did you unplug the system while adding the hdd?
m
l
September 18, 2009 7:15:29 PM

xaira said:
did you unplug the system while adding the hdd?

The HDD was the old issue...I was just giving the history of the computer before the current issue where it went south when playing with the fan.

But, for more history with the HDD, I was using an IDE sawpable bay to backup and since IDE is not hot swapable, yes, the system was off. I've since decieded to go away from IDE completely in favor of SATAII backups (since they are hot-swapable.

Again, the issue now stems from the computer shutting down, trying to restart, and not posting, after tinkering withther fan (while the system was on)
m
l
Related resources
September 18, 2009 7:37:44 PM

ahh, you tinkered with the system while it was on, all tekkies are guilty of this, you were just unluky, i lost an hdd with 250gb of data ill never get back due to the same nonsense, its either the psu or the board, im more leaning towards the board, rebuild the pc and see if that helps, if not, troulechute
m
l
September 20, 2009 10:31:34 PM

xaira said:
ahh, you tinkered with the system while it was on, all tekkies are guilty of this, you were just unluky, i lost an hdd with 250gb of data ill never get back due to the same nonsense, its either the psu or the board, im more leaning towards the board, rebuild the pc and see if that helps, if not, troulechute

Do you mean rebuild with the some components to see if it's a connection issue. Really, the last thing I want to do is swap out the MB or PSU since I'ld have to take out everything for either. I might be able to get the PSU out without taking out the MB and CPU heatsink, but it would be close.

I guess I could try hooking up another PSU to the MB alone just to see if it posts. That way I wouldn't have to take anything out just yet. If I understand correctly, the system will post even if not hooked up to a HDD? Is that right?

Actually, I guess I should also try resetting the CMOS by pulling out the battery too. Fortunately, when I first set up the PC, I had to tweak the BIOS (voltages, etc) and saved them in a template that I printed out.
m
l
September 20, 2009 11:23:27 PM

all a pc needs to post is power 4pincpu + 20pinatx ram cpu,
wes, i meant rebuild with the same parts, clear the bios
m
l
October 6, 2009 4:04:40 PM

1) Unplugged the PSU, cleared the CMOS and reinsterted video card & RAM. Then plugged in a new PSU to the MB only (4 pin and 20 pin). No hard drives plugged in.
2) Tried with new RAM
3) tried without RAM but with video card
4) tried with no Video card
5) tried with one stick of RAM

No luck. Same results each time. Still get all the phase LED lights going with NO beeps whatsoever. Still won't post.

Is there anything else I can do to check without swapping out components randomly? How do I tell ? Pretty sure it's not the RAM, since I swapped it out. If it was the MB, wouldn't I get some beeping of some kind? Could it be the CPU? HOw could I tell?

Thanks in advance
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 6, 2009 4:09:59 PM

Do you have a system speaker installed? If not, you can get one cheap here: http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

You're just taking stabs in the dark without a system speaker to tell you what the problem is.
m
l
October 6, 2009 5:47:03 PM

I do have a speaker. System was working fine before the above mentioned shutdown. Nice single beep for a successful post.

Actually the reason I tried to start up without components (like the RAM) was to see if I'd get the beep codes for the item being missing.

BTW, the MB is rev 1.1
m
l
October 6, 2009 6:36:01 PM

so ur not getting any beeps?
m
l
October 6, 2009 8:51:47 PM

No beeps with a different PSU, different RAM, no RAM, no Video card...nothing.

Just fully lit LED lights that kinda flicker as if it's in a repeated loop trying to Post.
m
l
October 6, 2009 11:16:58 PM

i think you might have to face the possibility thast ur board or cpu has died
m
l
October 6, 2009 11:19:06 PM

Is there any way to determine which it is?
m
l
October 6, 2009 11:55:53 PM

get your hands on another system with the same platform and test, same thing happened to me recently, my k9n neo f died after about 4 years of 24/7 use
m
l
October 7, 2009 12:49:14 AM

Mine's only been running since March! Real bummer.

Don't have a system to check it with...most poeople I know buy out of the box (Dell, HP, etc)
m
l
October 7, 2009 1:06:00 AM

only since march, send it back, or send both board and cpu back
m
l
October 16, 2009 8:31:54 AM

Swapped out the Motherboard and BINGO! Boots up and runs!

One interesting potential new issue though...After a single short beep for a successful post, I get a long beep that sounds a little rougher (if that makes any sense). System still starts up just fine and runs fine, but I'm wondering about the long beep?
m
l
October 16, 2009 11:33:03 AM

if it aint broke, dont fix it
m
l