Sign in with
Your question

Power supply cut off

Last response: in Components
December 8, 2009 5:38:38 AM

when I play games the power supply suddenly cut off what's wrong with my computer?

More about : power supply cut

a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2009 9:42:59 AM

Your power supply is shutting down to prevent an overload. Check your motherboard for "bad caps" if it's at least 3 years old; otherwise, get a better power supply. Do not go by the wattage; cheap power supplies are light in weight and overstate their load limits. I would use only corsair, antec, ocz, pc power and cooling, seasonic, or enermax. These power supplies are more efficient; look for a green rating of at least 80%. List your system specs including video card if you want specific recommendations.
a b ) Power supply
December 8, 2009 10:33:19 AM

List down your system specs and power supply model/brand. How old is your pc?

Potential issues on your machines:

1) Overload condition due to a bad component on the load
2) PS Shutting down due to bad component on the supply
3) Overload condition due to lack of capacity of the PSU
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
December 9, 2009 3:46:36 AM

If your system resets and reboots during gaming, it's probably inadequate power from the PSU. A graphics card in 3D mode generally pulls at least twice as much power as it does with a 2D load.
December 9, 2009 8:42:12 AM

o1die said:
Your power supply is shutting down to prevent an overload. Check your motherboard for "bad caps" if it's at least 3 years old; otherwise, get a better power supply. Do not go by the wattage; cheap power supplies are light in weight and overstate their load limits. I would use only corsair, antec, ocz, pc power and cooling, seasonic, or enermax. These power supplies are more efficient; look for a green rating of at least 80%. List your system specs including video card if you want specific recommendations.

If i do the harddisk scanning, the power supply was also shutting down. Is it the same problem?
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2009 9:36:02 AM

Probably. It could be a capacitor failing in the ps. If you have a good brand, it may still be under warranty. Antec has taken care on my problems with parts several times.
!