Sign in with
Your question

CPU stability question i7 2600k

Last response: in Overclocking
December 11, 2011 3:41:32 AM

i7 2600k
p8z68 proGen3 mobo
1600 mhz corsair vengence memory sticks

1.i achieved 4.4ghz with max 62 C 100% load on a hyper 212 evo.
\\i overclocked to 4.4ghz, but when i am idling, it is at 1.6ghz ON 1.27v. is this normal? isn't it suppose to be 1.6ghz on 0.8 or 1v?

2.this system runs about 12 hours out of 24 hours, 4.4ghz is ok? its used for gaming, if it's not ok, i'lll downgrade to 4.0 with less v, so my cpu won't degrade....

3. another question is , is the OC tuner better or manual overclocking?
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2011 6:26:56 AM

manual overclocking beats overclocking utility's any day

if it doesnt lower the clock on idle, how many system fans do you have? how open is your case, for a 24/7 situation the biggest problem i could see is heat build up in your case
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
December 11, 2011 7:46:07 AM

1. Normal is whatever your BIOS selects. Your load temps are good. The voltages that you need are dependent upon the VID (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_Identification_Dig...). This varies from chip to chip, but lower is better.

Your 1.2 volts: is that manually or with an OC utility? If with a utility, it is probably overvolting unnecessarily. That's one reason for manually overclocking. The other is complete control.

2. If your system throttles back during light loads, you are fine. And if you are gaming the entire 12 hours out of 24, you need to come back to the real world and get out more often. :) 

As long as you stay within Intel's recommended voltage and thermal limits, short of a random failure which all electronics are subject to, your system will become obsolete long before it fails from the side effects of overclocking.

I have been doing this a long time (almost 35 years) and I have never had a CPU fail from overclocking side effects.

3. Always manually through the BIOS (or its EUFI equivalent).

If you have a highly overclocked system, you need a case with good airflow.

What kind of case do you have?
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz
:) 
m
l
Related resources
December 11, 2011 12:40:04 PM

i have a cm 690 II advanced, 1 intake fan front, 2 exchaust back (one top and one rear). Top have dust filters. I might consider removing the top filter for the exhaust fan to improve air flow?, whats your opinion?

also should i kept the cpu enabled on throttling down, since i assume there will be a huge spike increase of volts to a cpu which can damage it. i might perfer 4.4ghz always, what syour opinion jsc?

m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 11, 2011 4:24:15 PM

pcgamers said:
i have a cm 690 II advanced, 1 intake fan front, 2 exchaust back (one top and one rear). Top have dust filters. I might consider removing the top filter for the exhaust fan to improve air flow?, whats your opinion?

also should i kept the cpu enabled on throttling down, since i assume there will be a huge spike increase of volts to a cpu which can damage it. i might perfer 4.4ghz always, what syour opinion jsc?

mine throttles down, mine will go from 0.9volts to 1.325 problem free so i wouldnt worry too much about a spike damaging it (yes yes ik mines amd... and somehow different)
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
December 13, 2011 4:02:31 AM

nna2 is right. throttling up and down will not hurt the CPU and it will decrease the thermal load.

Fans - exhaust fans do not need dust filters.
m
l
!