Help! seeking a way to capture game footage.

tom_w

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I want to record my audio and video from my xbox 360 with some sort of video & audio capture device, and i think getting a video card might be the answer, but im not sure.

I am playing on a monitor with dual inputs. VGA going to my xbox, and DVI going to my PC.

How would i be able to capture the audio and video being outputted by my 360 and save it directly to my PC HDD?

Also, what would i need to do this and can it be done on a £40 price budget?

Im looking to produce youtube video's, so i would be wanting pretty high quality recordings. something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XXo8oahSXQ&feature=channel_page

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Kari

Splendid
ehm, fraps alone wont work if the game feed comes from the xbox, only pc gaming could be recorded... and i dont think you can get fraps to run on xbox....

basically you'll need some pc add-on card with video/hdmi input, tv tuners don't usually have anything else than the antenna input and the average 3dvideocard only has outputs. Maybe some pro video editing stuff is needed and that wont fit into the £40 budget.

edit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380047%201685342852&name=Editing%20%26%20Capture
looks like there might be some dongles that'll do the trick just fine....

edit2: lol yeah, just browsed through the neweggs tv tuner cards, and there's plenty with svideo inputs....

tom_w

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Im confused :S

so lets say, if i buy this, would i get the origional xbox av cable, put the 3 pins into this (the 3 female coloured thingys) then would i plug the A/V part of the wire into the big usb thing. then would i plug that into my PC and be able to play my xbox through my PC.

Im assuming i would need software for this though, or would it come with software to do this?

Kari

Splendid
Well i don't know what kind of cable the xbox comes with, but yeah, that's basically it. The hardware usually ships with the software needed to use it :)

But that thingie has really low user reviews, might be better to look for something else...

tom_w

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

Yeah, ill probably buy that cable thing seperatley and get a tv tuner card for my pc.

They seem to have better ratings and they are around 60/70 dollards, which is around £40.