Which laptops are NOT outsourced?

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I was reading this enlightening article about how 90% of laptops
are made on contract to brand-name companies:

http://www.notebookcomputers.com/madebywho.asp

and it made me wonder several things:

1) Are the computers made by these non-brand-name
manufacturers even DESIGNED by the brand-name
companies?

2) Which brand-name laptops are made by the brand-name
company themselves?

3) Is there any difference in quality between brand-name
manufactured laptops and those outsourced?

4) Which outsourced laptop models are the same across
brand-names (i.e. is the IBm Thinkpad T41 the same as
the Dell Whateveritscalled?)

Anyone know the answers to this question?
16 answers Last reply
More about which laptops outsourced
  1. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Anonymous User" <googleTrashBin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I was reading this enlightening article about how 90% of laptops
    > are made on contract to brand-name companies:
    >
    > http://www.notebookcomputers.com/madebywho.asp
    >
    > and it made me wonder several things:
    >
    > 1) Are the computers made by these non-brand-name
    > manufacturers even DESIGNED by the brand-name
    > companies?

    Sometimes. More often these days, the ODMs do a lot of the design work.

    > 2) Which brand-name laptops are made by the brand-name
    > company themselves?

    Fewer and fewer. IBM and Toshiba still make some of their own machines.
    Very few others do.

    > 3) Is there any difference in quality between brand-name
    > manufactured laptops and those outsourced?

    Own-manufacture systems tend to be high-end; the low and mid-range are
    almost
    all outsourced - it's difficult to make a universal comparison.

    > 4) Which outsourced laptop models are the same across
    > brand-names (i.e. is the IBm Thinkpad T41 the same as
    > the Dell Whateveritscalled?)

    It varies by the month, and even within model lines. IBM sources ThinkPad R
    systems from Wistron and LG both - and makes some itself, for instance.
    Fewer and fewer models are identical across manufacturers.
  2. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Edward J. Neth <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote:

    > It varies by the month, and even within model lines. IBM sources
    > ThinkPad R systems from Wistron and LG both - and makes some itself,
    > for instance.

    Actually, that's no longer true. IBM sold all of their laptop plants to
    other companies last year and these companies now manufacture all Thinkpads
    for IBM.

    They're still designed by IBM and must meet IBM quality control standards,
    but IBM itself is no longer in the laptop manufacturing business.

    --
    Regards,

    James

  3. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    ..

    > They're still designed by IBM and must meet IBM quality control standards,
    > but IBM itself is no longer in the laptop manufacturing business.

    Interesting. We will see if this means better or worse quality. No doubt
    it means they can be made for less.

    --
    Jim Walker
    Northern Virginia

    Jim Walker <walkerjd1@att.net.net> wrote:

    > Interesting. We will see if this means better or worse quality. No
    > doubt it means they can be made for less.

    If the several T40s, T41s and the X31 I have had my hands on recently are
    any indicator, the quality is, if anything, better!

    --
    Regards,

    James

  5. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    SOME Toshiba laptops are actually made by Toshiba, others are outsourced.

    Generally, if the computer is outsourced, it's designed by the firm that
    built it not the firm that it was being built for. However, this is not
    an absolute rule.

    In the case of Toshiba, the quality of the Toshiba-built models is MUCH
    better than of the outsourced models. However, there is a substantial
    price difference (about $200-$300).

    Anonymous User wrote:

    > I was reading this enlightening article about how 90% of laptops
    > are made on contract to brand-name companies:
    >
    > http://www.notebookcomputers.com/madebywho.asp
    >
    > and it made me wonder several things:
    >
    > 1) Are the computers made by these non-brand-name
    > manufacturers even DESIGNED by the brand-name
    > companies?
    >
    > 2) Which brand-name laptops are made by the brand-name
    > company themselves?
    >
    > 3) Is there any difference in quality between brand-name
    > manufactured laptops and those outsourced?
    >
    > 4) Which outsourced laptop models are the same across
    > brand-names (i.e. is the IBm Thinkpad T41 the same as
    > the Dell Whateveritscalled?)
    >
    > Anyone know the answers to this question?
  6. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    JHEM wrote:
    > Jim Walker <walkerjd1@att.net.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Interesting. We will see if this means better or worse quality. No
    >>doubt it means they can be made for less.
    >

    > If the several T40s, T41s and the X31 I have had my hands on recently are
    > any indicator, the quality is, if anything, better!

    The majority of the IBM Thinkpads are built in China, most definitely
    cheaper... not many countries left that can compete at that price point...

    Scotland, Hungary and Guadalajara are no longer in the laptop business
    albeit that they(the plants)were sold by IBM to Sanmina-SCI, IBM moved
    the work to te Far East.
    The T series is inhouse IBM designed, the others are Wistron & LG, all
    good boxes, just identify your needs and match the price...
  7. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Jim <JTHendry@nospamUKlinux.net> wrote:

    > The T series is inhouse IBM designed, the others are Wistron & LG, all
    > good boxes, just identify your needs and match the price...

    The X series, like the T series, are designed in-house by IBM.

    --
    Regards,

    James

  8. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Are there any actual comparison tests that are not opinion but fact? Middle
    priced machines. quiet fans, battery life?

    Anonymous User wrote:

    > I was reading this enlightening article about how 90% of laptops
    > are made on contract to brand-name companies:
    >
    > http://www.notebookcomputers.com/madebywho.asp
    >
    > and it made me wonder several things:
    >
    > 1) Are the computers made by these non-brand-name
    > manufacturers even DESIGNED by the brand-name
    > companies?
    >
    > 2) Which brand-name laptops are made by the brand-name
    > company themselves?

    AFAIK, Panasonic notebooks are
    built entirely by Panasonic. I
    could be wrong of course.

    dk
  10. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    googleTrashBin@yahoo.com (Anonymous User) wrote in message news:<39af109b.0405232329.3941b895@posting.google.com>...
    > I was reading this enlightening article about how 90% of laptops
    > are made on contract to brand-name companies:
    >
    > http://www.notebookcomputers.com/madebywho.asp
    >
    > and it made me wonder several things:
    >
    > 1) Are the computers made by these non-brand-name
    > manufacturers even DESIGNED by the brand-name
    > companies?

    This would be variable to certain extents

    > 2) Which brand-name laptops are made by the brand-name
    > company themselves?

    Look for the business ranges of well-known laptop manufacturers:

    Dell Latitude
    Apple Powerbook and iBook
    IBM T and X series
    Compaq Armada's
    Toshiba Tecra's

    There are others but I think you can be pretty sure about these.

    > 3) Is there any difference in quality between brand-name
    > manufactured laptops and those outsourced?

    The brand-name manufactured laptops will almost most always be better
    quality (it doesn't really make economic sense to make it in house of
    less quality), but the difference depends. Difference between
    latitude and inspiron (in terms of reliability, not apparent feel of
    quality) is supposedly quite large. Difference between T and R series
    thinkpads is not so large.

    > 4) Which outsourced laptop models are the same across
    > brand-names (i.e. is the IBm Thinkpad T41 the same as
    > the Dell Whateveritscalled?)

    There is no other laptop like the T41 except the 14" T42 and T40. You
    can't be referring to the D800 - which is much larger than the T
    series (and apparently, of worse apparent quality- though I'm sure
    they're reliable)

    The same laptop shells can be seen in "noname" brands - you'll notice
    some laptops look very similar - they are rarely from the big name
    manufacturers.

    > Anyone know the answers to this question?

    I'm not in the business, but this is my general impression from doing
    this kind of research before purchasing my laptop. A bit of advice if
    you're buying your first laptop - they're fragile and break easily. I
    recommend getting an extended warranty and a good quality laptop -
    when they're shiny and new you don't see the potential hassle they can
    cause by breaking down, which they do on a 100x more frequent basis
    that a desktop.

    Duncan.
  11. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    All the suppliers outsource the designs.

    "Duncan James Murray" <duncanjamesmurray@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > googleTrashBin@yahoo.com (Anonymous User) wrote in message
    > > I was reading this enlightening article about how 90% of laptops
    > > are made on contract to brand-name companies:
    > >
    > > http://www.notebookcomputers.com/madebywho.asp
    > >
    > > and it made me wonder several things:
    > >
    > > 1) Are the computers made by these non-brand-name
    > > manufacturers even DESIGNED by the brand-name
    > > companies?
    >
    > This would be variable to certain extents
    >

    > > 2) Which brand-name laptops are made by the brand-name
    > > company themselves?
    >
    > Look for the business ranges of well-known laptop manufacturers:
    >
    > Dell Latitude
    > Apple Powerbook and iBook
    > IBM T and X series
    > Compaq Armada's
    > Toshiba Tecra's
    >
    > There are others but I think you can be pretty sure about these.
    >

    > > 3) Is there any difference in quality between brand-name
    > > manufactured laptops and those outsourced?
    >
    > The brand-name manufactured laptops will almost most always be better
    > quality (it doesn't really make economic sense to make it in house of
    > less quality), but the difference depends. Difference between
    > latitude and inspiron (in terms of reliability, not apparent feel of
    > quality) is supposedly quite large. Difference between T and R series
    > thinkpads is not so large.
    >

    > > 4) Which outsourced laptop models are the same across
    > > brand-names (i.e. is the IBm Thinkpad T41 the same as
    > > the Dell Whateveritscalled?)
    >

    > There is no other laptop like the T41 except the 14" T42 and T40. You
    > can't be referring to the D800 - which is much larger than the T
    > series (and apparently, of worse apparent quality- though I'm sure
    > they're reliable)
    >
    > The same laptop shells can be seen in "noname" brands - you'll notice
    > some laptops look very similar - they are rarely from the big name
    > manufacturers.
    >

    > > Anyone know the answers to this question?
    >
    > I'm not in the business, but this is my general impression from doing
    > this kind of research before purchasing my laptop. A bit of advice if
    > you're buying your first laptop - they're fragile and break easily. I
    > recommend getting an extended warranty and a good quality laptop -
    > when they're shiny and new you don't see the potential hassle they can
    > cause by breaking down, which they do on a 100x more frequent basis
    > that a desktop.
    >
    > Duncan.
  12. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > > Dell Latitude
    > > Apple Powerbook and iBook
    > > IBM T and X series
    > > Compaq Armada's
    > > Toshiba Tecra's

    These are all made by Taiwan ODMs
  13. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    lewdvig <plongin@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>> Dell Latitude
    >>> Apple Powerbook and iBook
    >>> IBM T and X series
    >>> Compaq Armada's
    >>> Toshiba Tecra's
    >
    > These are all made by Taiwan ODMs

    Yes, but in most instances they're not _designed_ by them.

    --
    Regards,

    James

  14. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    JHEM wrote:

    >>These are all made by Taiwan ODMs
    >

    > Yes, but in most instances they're not _designed_ by them.

    Er, well, what do you think the D in ODM stands for? I think the above
    list of laptops are made by Taiwanese OEMs. The distinction is not casual.

    -p
  15. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    plated metal <ha@yeah.right> wrote:

    > Er, well, what do you think the D in ODM stands for? I think the above
    > list of laptops are made by Taiwanese OEMs. The distinction is not
    > casual.

    I know exactly what the "D" stands for and it's why I responded as I did.

    Of the models that were listed, the IBM T and X series, the Compaq Armada
    series and the Toshiba Tecra series are all designed in-house by their
    respective sellers.

    All Dell and Apple laptops are ODM designs.

    --
    Regards,

    James

  16. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    JHEM <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote:

    > All Dell and Apple laptops are ODM designs.

    I'm sure that Jonathan Ives, the award winning designer of the Apple
    iBook, Powerbook, iMac, G4 and G5 towers and the iPod would be
    interested to learn that!

    While Dell's kit is all ODM (as evidenced by the fact that you can buy
    machines with identical cases to many of the Dells, but with different
    manufacturer's labels), Apple's stuff is most definitely not. In fact,
    if you look at the bottom of a Powerbook, towards the back end, you'll
    see a silkscreened notice clearly stating 'designed by Apple in
    California, assembled in Taiwan'.

    Due to the non x86 nature of the motherboards those too are designed in
    house at Apple. A quick check of the motherboard in the Powerbook I'm
    typing this on confirms this - it carries a similar notice, stating,
    'designed by Apple Computer'.

    So, everything, other than obvious stuff like hard discs and other bits
    and pieces is designed inhouse. It may be manufactured in Taiwanese
    factories, but the design is straight out of Cupertino.

    mark

Laptops Thinkpad