Sign in with
Your question

Rate my budget Build Input is welcome!

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
September 18, 2009 10:06:31 PM

I used to build PC's back in the early to mid 90's since then I have mostly been messing with laptops. Well I picked up a stripped Dell 670 workstation for next to nothing and decided to build a budget home entertainment/gaming/photo editing/Skype system. Here is what I will be building with:

-Dell 670 with dual Intel Xeon Processors 3.6GHz 800MHz FSB 2MB Cache

-12 GB of PC2-3200 240-pin DIMM DDR2 Memory

-2 x 500GB SATA II, 7200 RPM Hard Drive

-GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB GDDR3 PCIe Graphics Card

-Dual 15" LCD Monitors (buddy gave them to me for free when he upgraded to 22's)

-Super G 802.11BG Wireless Pci 64 Bit Xp Compliant Turbo Mode

-DSI 2.4GHz Wireless Keyboard with Optical trackball, Black, FK-760 by DSI

-Microsoft LifeCam VX-6000

-OS Vista Ultimate 64 Bit with a free upgrade to Win 7 when its released.

Well that is my basic build, I will also probably be running it into my 40" Toshiba LCD TV for watching Netflix on Demand and DirecTv if MS and DirecTv ever get that program up and running. Still trying to decide on a good sound card that I can port into my surround sound system any suggestions would be appreciated. For the gaming side I play WoW a little bit and will play SGW if it ever comes out, I may play some other games on it as well.

Let me know what you think, I know this isn't gonna be the ultimate computer or anything but I think it should be pretty decent for under $550.00 and I get to get back into building my own PC again :) 

Matt
September 18, 2009 10:12:54 PM

Those dual Xeons should come out to like $400 (both) since they're old but still $550 ($150 left) isn't enough for all of this.
So I believe the situation is the PC you bought has a lot of components already so if you please might say what you want our opinion for (parts you haven't yet purchased).

-->Edit<--
Also what main-board? Is it a reference Intel or a Custom (GigaByte/Asus/DFI/MSI etc.) ?

Medo
Anonymous
September 18, 2009 10:36:24 PM

Sorry I should have been more specific. I got the Dell 670 with those processors and the stock Dell MB in it for $50.00 from a friend, same friend that gave me the dual 15" monitors. The case included 2 GB of Ram, the power supply and DVD CD RW. If I end up spending more that $500.00 I am ok, with that too. I just want to have a good fun system that I built for myself :D 

Edit to add: I am pretty confident in the choices I listed for parts in my 1st post. I guess I am mainly looking for comments as to if they are a good mix and comments on how people think the system will perform? Also if I made any horrible choices please point them out. I will be ordering everything sometime this weekend and hopefully be starting my build in the next week or two.
Related resources
September 18, 2009 10:59:16 PM

I don't think you need 12GB RAM. A 8GB should be fine.
I'm clueless about the wireless device.
This HDD should do it fine. - 2x 500GB platters for extreme performance!
This GPU is better than the 9800 GT for the same price ($100+).
Also what coolers are you going to use?
And what e-tailers ? (I included NewEgg.com links for reference)

Edit --->>
I don't know much about Xeons so can't tell you if they'll be good for your demands. But for $50 it's a real killer deal!
I think you should wait for another TH member and Xeon owner or expert to comment on this.
I included what i thpught would be adequate EXCEPT for the CPUs as I'm clueless to Xeons.
<<--- Edit

Medo
Anonymous
September 18, 2009 11:17:31 PM

Ok, so I can save a little cash on RAM that sounds good! Do you think I just won't need the extra for my needs? If I remember right my MB supports up to 16GB of Ram and I suppose I could always upgrade at a later date if I need too.

The Wireless Device I found on Amazon and it had a lot of good reviews and will work with my Qwest wireless network device so I think I am happy with that.

Those are great prices on both the HDD and GPU! I will look at the 2X500 GB as I want to make this machine as fast as possible.

The 670 also has Native SCSI on the MB but from what I have read the pay off really isn't there anymore to go for SCSI HDD over SATA for what I am looking at.

For coolers right now the CPU's have the factory HS and Fan setup with shrouds. I ordered the factory Dell RAM cooler (need it to run over 4GB), got it for like $18.00 from dell (sure beat the $80-$200 they are listed for on e-bay). I figured I would get the system up and running and monitor temps to see if I need more cooling.

As for e-tailers I am open to any that are reliable sellers. In the past I have bought from Edge Tech, NewEgg, Amazon and Dell (Dell specific parts).

Thank you for all the help, lets just say that before I decided to build this system the last systems I built from the ground up were good ole 386 and 486 systems so I am a little bit outdated :( 

Matt

Anonymous
September 18, 2009 11:23:36 PM

psycho sykes said:

Edit --->>
I don't know much about Xeons so can't tell you if they'll be good for your demands. But for $50 it's a real killer deal!
I think you should wait for another TH member and Xeon owner or expert to comment on this.
I included what i thpught would be adequate EXCEPT for the CPUs as I'm clueless to Xeons.
<<--- Edit

Medo

That was my thought for $50.00 I got the case, MB, dual Xeon 3.6 Ghz dual-core CPU's with cooling, 2GB of Ram, the DVD CD/RW, and the 650 watts Power Factor Correcting (PFC) power supply. No way could I have bought all that individually for anywhere near the price I paid!

Matt
September 18, 2009 11:31:12 PM

With "- 2x 500GB platters for extreme performance!" I meant it contains 2 500GB platters inside the drive and 2 500GB drives means 4 250GB platters [Except this one | Maybe in RAID0..]

For the RAM i choose 4x 2GB kit to go with the dual Xeons (4GB each in dual channel) | Also do you have 1x 2GB or 2x 1GB
Still i think you might find it difficult to deal with a Xeon right after 386/486 systems. As the only way to deal with Xeons is right after Xeons :D  !!

If you can post the link for the PC on any site (eBay maybe) so i can find specific specification on it (what CPU model no.).

For anyone with enough knowledge about sever processors please post here.

Medo
Anonymous
September 18, 2009 11:58:48 PM

psycho sykes said:
With "- 2x 500GB platters for extreme performance!" I meant it contains 2 500GB platters inside the drive and 2 500GB drives means 4 250GB platters [Except this one | Maybe in RAID0..]

LOL....Ahh that makes sense...Sucks to be a newb again....LOL

For the RAM i choose 4x 2GB kit to go with the dual Xeons (4GB each in dual channel) | Also do you have 1x 2GB or 2x 1GB
Still i think you might find it difficult to deal with a Xeon right after 386/486 systems. As the only way to deal with Xeons is right after Xeons :D  !!

LMAO the good ole 386/486 systems were a blast to play with, it all seemed much easier back then too because there really weren't all that many choices or options out there :)  My system currently has 2 1GB modules with a total of six Memory slots on the MB.

If you can post the link for the PC on any site (eBay maybe) so i can find specific specification on it (what CPU model no.).

Here is a quick run down from the Dell Site on the Dell 670:

Processors: Up to two 64-bit Intel® Xeon® dual-core processors with 800MHz front side bus and 2MB L2 cache per core; All Intel® Xeon® processors support 64-bit computing with Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology

Chipset: Intel E7525 chipset

Memory: Up to 16GB1 dual-channel2 DDR2 400MHz ECC registered memory; Six DIMM slots

Flash Bios: BIOS 4MB flash memory for system BIOS; SMBIOS 2.3.1 support

Graphics: Support for ISV-certified PCI Express graphics cards up to 150 watts and with up to 512MB graphics memory including: nVIDIA® Quadro® FX 4500;
nVIDIA Quadro FX 3450; Quadro FX 1400; ATI™ FireGL™ V3100; nVIDIA Quadro NVS 280; All graphics cards support dual monitor configurations Confirmed with Dell that the system will support newer 1GB GPU's

Audio Controller: Integrated AC’97 audio; Optional Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2(D)5

Standard IO Ports: Eight USB 2.0: two on front panel, six on back panel; Two IEEE 1394a; Two serial; One parallel; Two PS/2; One RJ-45; Line-in, line-out, and microphone
connectors on back panel; Speaker, headphone and microphone connectors on front panel

For anyone with enough knowledge about sever processors please post here.

Medo

September 19, 2009 12:20:39 AM

Well, 2 Qs:
1st. How 2 CPUs with 2 channel RAM support and 6 RAM slots?? (4/8/12 etc.) is possible but not 6!
Also it says support for up to 16GB DDR2 400MHz RAMs so I don't know about 800MHz...

Waiting for other replies :) 
!