GPU fan stopped working...heat or power?

sonny2k7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I have an Nvidia Geforce 9800GT, and a power supply that can only give out 250W. When i first put the card in a few months ago, the fan ran ok. Then a month later the card began to reach 90 degrees C and overheating, so i then took the side panel off my case and put a small fan blowing on the GPU. Later on the fan on the GPU would only run half-speed, then eventually just....gave up. I know i should have 500W or more PSU for my card, but if the fan has stopped working, is my CPU just starving itself and can't provide its normal supply, or has the heat of the card caused the fan to somehow die? I took the fan off my GPU and hooked the wires to the right voltage of 12V, but the fan wouldnt run, it was hooked up the way it would receive power. Either the fan knows its not on the GPU or its dead, right? I am planning on going out and buying a new 450W power supply....which i hope brings the fan back to life. If not than i guess i need a new fan to fit the GPU..which i don't know where to get one, and i dont buy things online. I've seen case fans and things at BestBuy and what not though..but i dont need case fans

Solution
Sometimes undervoltage is just as dangerous to components as over voltage/current. Get rid of that PSU as quickly as you can before more problems arise. And unless you are in the maret for a new video card, I owuld take nforce's sugg and pic up a Zalman or comparable fan for your 9800GT.

jf812

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I'm surprised the PSU hasn't blown yet. Especially if the PSU is a cheap brand. I would recommend that you buy a good brand PSU such as corsair or OCZ What is your processor?

Does the fan seam rather stiff when you try to turn manually with your finger? Does the card post properly without artifacts in 2D if not see if you can replace the cooler with a zalman vf700 or 900 while getting that new psu. Antec, Enermax, and Corsair are good.

Sometimes undervoltage is just as dangerous to components as over voltage/current. Get rid of that PSU as quickly as you can before more problems arise. And unless you are in the maret for a new video card, I owuld take nforce's sugg and pic up a Zalman or comparable fan for your 9800GT.

Solution

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007

This. Don't want to risk losing any other parts to that PSU.

sonny2k7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Ok, bought a 450W power supply made by BFG, GS series and got it going
The GPU dropped about 15 degrees in temp. but the fan still doesnt work, and when i manually turn it there isnt much resistance, but it seems to snap back some, not just hanging loose..also, the video card was a 9500GT not 9800.. oops.
But i have an idea...to replace the fan. I have a ATI x1300 pci card with a fan similar to that of my 9500, tommorrow ill see if it will fit on this card, as it seems my fan died in the struggle of power...
The old PSU was made by HP, my computer brand.. comp. model a6123w

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007

You could always just make it fit.

sonny2k7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Ok, took my fan out and tried to exchange but the x1300 fan was just BARELY too big to fit. As for "peepee"'s comment of the devil possessing my card, i found out that was very true. I had the computer running, looked up a guide to doing an exorcism. Nothing happened until i threw holy water at my card, then all hell broke loose.

Anyways...i took my fan apart and sure enough the damn thing fried on me before i changed PSU's. Chip was burnt to hell..(no reference back to the devil in my card). So...thanks for some ideas, now i know what to do when this happens again so i dont destroy another card, even though mine still works..sort of. Still reaches 60 degrees, but thats better than 100 degrees!!