Sign in with
Your question

VPU Recover Error - Radeon HD 4650

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 4, 2009 3:17:34 PM

This is probably the third forum I've asked for help from so hopefully I'll get this fixed.

I recently just bought an XFX Radeon HD 4650 graphics card which ran smoothly for about 4 months. Now, out of nowhere, I get this error message:

"VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands."

I don't know why this is happening, mostly due to the fact that it ran perfectly fine for 4 months then just completely crashes anytime I try to run WoW or any other game really. It is not overclocked at all and has the latest Catalyst drivers from the ATI website.

Here's my system specs:
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3
CPU Type : DualCore Intel Pentium D 820, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
Motherboard Name : Dell DXP051
System Memory : 3072 MB (DDR2 SDRAM)
Graphics Card : XFX Radeon HD 4650 (1024MB)

Thanks in advance for the help.
Anonymous
February 18, 2010 5:25:41 AM

I had the same problem (sorry for my English). Ive installed all the updates for XP, then i updated my drivers to top, but it doesn't work. BUT! I was installing drivers without ATI panel, only the driver. The last version of drivers on time of writing the post is 27/01/10- installing this helped the video to run for an hour, copmparing to 4 minutes before using this drivers. After being stopped again(DAMN), i ve decided to slow down the clocking of card in ATI panel- originally it was 650-400 MHz, then ive made it 400-400 and black screen of death dissapeared for ages. I had very much troubles with this, so i hope it would help somebody. Dont feel any differience in games.
the only thing for thinking is the count of triubles with this card- like ATI_AMD cant create a stable hardware.
!