Can my 350w psu handle ati 4670

sniper op

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
hey im getting the HIS ati HD 4670 IceQ Native 1gb gfx card, and im wondering if my psu can handle it. i know it says a minimum of 400w on ati's homepage but i have seen topics that they got a 300w psu and the gfx card works fine.

the psu is a dps-350ab from delta electronics

and the rest of the system is
make and model: fujitsu siemens scaleo p 2512-23p
motherboard: amd690vm-fm
cpu: amd athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0ghz dual core processor
ram: 2gb ddr2 pc6400
gpu: that will be the 4670
hdd: 2 sata hdd's, 500gb and 150gb
psu: 350w

Hmmm.... I went to the Delta web site. That model is advertised as having two +12 volt rails - one rated at 10 amps and one rated at 15 amps. I took a look at the rest of the sopecifications. It is not a high quality power supply.

On the other hand the ATI Radeon HD 4670 video card is not a power hungry card so you'll probably be okay.

Here is a link to a power consumption chart that is part of a technical review of the 4670:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3405&p=9

The power consumption figures are for the entire computer system.

Try your delta ps first. If you have any problems such as freeze ups or artifacts, go for the corsair 400w at newegg for $34.99 after rebate with free shipping. That's the minimum ps I would use. Corsair is a quality brand.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

I would really lean towards a 500w.

Give the machine more power to muscle what you need and for the next upgrade..

Never work near the bare minimum on anything nowadays.

sniper op

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
well i was planning on buying a 500w from antec
here it is: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NjU=

Hellboy - The OP already had the psu. Let's not forget users on a tight budget.

sniper op - Since the subject of 500 watt power suplies came up:

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5000 series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series like the low budget Basiq models.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Seasonic are Corsairs rebadged and Power & Cooling are now owned by OCZ.

Seasonic is better value as you pay more for Corsairs name, but either way a 500 W is not that expensive and is the best choice.

I disagree. Seasonic is often more expensive, as they rarely have rebates. Check corsair first for rebates or deals at newegg or frys. And if you want your ps fans to last longer, I use a canned cleaning solution with solvent that evaporates quickly at least once a year.

Hellboy - You haven't kept up with changes at Corsair. Seasonic used to make psu's for Corsair. Corsair switched to other manufacturers for newer models. O1die is right about prices too. Other than occasional free shipping or a modest $5.00 or $10.00 off on select models, I've never seen any large discounts or mail-in rebates for Seasonic power supplies.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

So what do Corsair rebadge now then.. OCZ i guess.

Hellboy - Channel Well's new DSG platform plus an older design and Yate Loon fans for new models starting in 2007. I'm guessing Seasonic still makes some of the pre-2007 models. There was also mention of another manufacturer but I can't remember who.

The first Channel Well built psu for Corsair was the VX550 which is a very popular high quality unit.