WD10EARX good for raid 0?

Solution
A. Settle down, your post hasn't even been up for a day and you are complaining about not getting a response. You are lucky you are getting any response at all after a comment like that alienating all 1,400,000 members.

B. I have 3 of the 1.5TB EARS drives in a raid0 array and love them. I did my research and was a bit weary at first about the problems some people had with the green drives and raid arrays but those issues seemed to have been mitigated. I would be a little cautious using the green drives in an array with non-green drive just because of the variable spindle speed but since you are using all green drive you shouldn't have any problems.

**One word of caution - I am not using my raid0 array of green drives as my boot...

korbul

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Good thing i joined "the community of over 1,400,000 members in six countries" so i would get hundreds of answers and opinions for my question. Oh wait ... i didn't got any replay at all ? that cant be right.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
A. Settle down, your post hasn't even been up for a day and you are complaining about not getting a response. You are lucky you are getting any response at all after a comment like that alienating all 1,400,000 members.

B. I have 3 of the 1.5TB EARS drives in a raid0 array and love them. I did my research and was a bit weary at first about the problems some people had with the green drives and raid arrays but those issues seemed to have been mitigated. I would be a little cautious using the green drives in an array with non-green drive just because of the variable spindle speed but since you are using all green drive you shouldn't have any problems.

**One word of caution - I am not using my raid0 array of green drives as my boot drive so I do not know if there will be any issues or complications with that.

C. About the choice of HDD if you haven't already purchased them I would recommend going with the EARS drives as the only difference is the SATA II connection. You do not need a SATA III connection for HDDs even if they are in raid0. You will not see any difference in the performance of the drive as HDDs cannot come close to saturating a SATA II connection at 3GB/s. By buying the SATA II drives you will be saving yourself money and not sacrificing any performance!

Solution

korbul

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Sorry for the attitude, but i am putting together my new pc and i needed an answer fast. Your reply was very useful since it made me change my mind, for the better i think. This stripe was suppose to be my all storage and boot. However after i read your post i did a little search and found out that caviar green are mainly used for storage. Also some users encountered problems using them for boot/os drives. Considering this I switched to two WDIGITAL 750GB SATA II 7500rpm for better performance and reliability.