Time to upgrade? 8800gt sli

Hey guys!!!

So here is my current set up.

Quad core q6600 2.4 w/ 8gb ram and 2x evga superclock edition 8800gt 512mb cards.

I just picked up nvidia 3d vision glasses w/ monitor.

Noticing that it plays most games fine but recent ones are laggy.

I want to know what kind of a performance gain I will see by switching out these 2 cards for 1 gtx 274 896mb. I can get the evga one for 275 delivered cdn. But I really don't want to spend money if I'm not getting much improvement. I haven't really kept up with current trends so am looking for advice on how to proceed.

Who knows maybe my CPU will be a bottleneck.

Let me know guys!

Many thanks!
24 answers Last reply
More about time upgrade 8800gt
  1. 2x 8800GT's are so close to one GTX275 according to the benchies that you may need two I reckon to be able to see any real benefit.
  2. Really? Cool thanks. I couldn't find any charts of 8800gt in sli only single 8800gt. And I read somewhere that 8800 gt sli is same as single 8800 ultra so I was kind of going by that. Shoot me some links if you have.

Also what you think of the CPU/ ram...
  3. 8800gt is sli is basically a 9800gx2, which is 1 frame worse then a gtx 280 in most cases which is very comparable to a gtx 275. Just make sure you can support the power consumption.
  4. I'll take your 8800GT's from you :) Thinking on selling them?
  5. I have one i'm trying to sell :). Evga 8800gt 512mb
  6. so i'm a little confused now...

according to this chart:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/Left4Dead,1454.html

I should be getting like 100 fps with a gtx 275, and if my 8800gt sli set up is more or less the same, then I should get similiar fps right.

however I'm getting only like 60 fps.

what gives?

is my sli set up correctly?
  7. toms test their cards with 4 ghz cpu's
  8. You might need to OC your CPU to get a little more out of it ;)
  9. so my cpu is bottlenecking my video cards? does that also mean that if i plop in that gtx 275, i'm going to see no improvement?
  10. No, there is no bottleneck, it is just comparing Tom's tests with your own is not really comparable.
  11. see the thing is I kinda already put an order through late friday for the gtx 275, but after reading all this, i'm going to cancel that order. thanks guys!
  12. oh okay, well in that case... still cancel my gtx 275 then? i mean no performance gain?
  13. impaledmango said:
    I have one i'm trying to sell :). Evga 8800gt 512mb

How much?
  14. check this link:
    http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3334&p=11

so according to this, i'll actually be paying almost $300 to downgrade in performance???
  15. if you willing to forgo the nvidia route the ati 5850 would be a good option, but for now hold onto what you got till nvidia release their dx11 cards,get a good cpu cooler and overclock the q6600 a bit it should give some better results on your current setup
  16. well if that's the case... i'm obviously sticking with my current set up and will wait a while and then do a complete upgrade...

question now... i've never really tweaked my system. i'm running win 7 pro. but from a cpu/gpu point of view, what tips, overclock tools, etc... do you recommend I begin with to get the most juice out of my system?

thanks!
  17. Those CPU's are really good for overclocking...im sure ive seen people with these @ 3.6GHz+ on water cooling....IIRC, you should be able to push 3.0 to 3.2GHz on stock cooling without too much problem.
  18. not on stock cooling by far and the g0 stepping q6600 was an epic fail i find this a pretty good guide http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-240001_11_0.html
  19. cool thank you all!
  20. xizorgetspeed said:
    so i'm a little confused now...

according to this chart:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/Left4Dead,1454.html

I should be getting like 100 fps with a gtx 275, and if my 8800gt sli set up is more or less the same, then I should get similiar fps right.

however I'm getting only like 60 fps.

what gives?

is my sli set up correctly?

Have you got v-sync on? and L4D is not graphically intensive.
  21. godbrother said:
    How much?

$50 CAN sounds good? That's about $46 american, no tax and depending on where you live I'll pay 4 shipping.
  22. Mousemonkey said:
    Have you got v-sync on? and L4D is not graphically intensive.

should i have v-sync on?

i don't know what's good.

thanks!
  23. If you have v-sync on your fps will be capped at 60 fps, usually.
  24. L4D is not graphics intensive. That 100FPS benchie is done on a 4gHz i7 I think.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics