Tick tock. Win7 clock issue, again again.

kvnt

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I got this sexy pc my man built me less than a year ago and it's been working fine (or maybe I haven't noticed before) but in the past few months the clock is resetting every time I reboot. It seems to lose time over a couple hours of just being turned on as well. It's a very stealthy process so I haven't actually seen it do it, but all of a sudden I'll be late for work again, and blaming my pc has become a lame excuse. I've read loads and loads of topics on this, and people say it's either a bug, or my motherboard battery is dead, but it's not only on reboots as it happens every day and I barely ever turn it off.
Anyway. If it is the mb battery, how do I find this out? And could there be another reason for this?
I've posted here before and received great help, so thanks in advance :)

It's my gaming pc if that matters in any way and my motherboard is the hot Sabertooth x58.
I'm running windows 7 ultimate.

It does indeed sound like the battery. If you pop the cover off your case and look at the motherboard, you will see a flat coin sized battery. You should be able to find a replacement battery at your local radio shack or other stores.

Make sure you unplug your computer before changing the battery.

kvnt

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Yes, that's all very nice, and thank you for replying. But how do I actually KNOW it's the battery? Before I go out and waste money and whatnot.

kvnt

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

359frwm.jpg

I can't find anything called vbat. Am I retarded, did I do something wrong.
Also, if the battery is in fact the problem,
wouldn't the time in the BIOS be wrong? It wasn't a week ago when I checked. Guess I will on next reboot.

Your motherboard must not have a battery sensor.

If you look at the picture from the 1st link I sent you, you can clearly see VBat under the voltages section at top. When I run it on my computer, it also shows a VBat.

Batteries aren't that expensive. You could just change it and see if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't, no harm done.

kvnt

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
You only sent me one link, and I don't see a screenshot.
Well I suppose I'll have to do that, I just don't see how it should be a problem after less than a year.
Thanks anyway.

kvnt

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Ah, never got so far as to see the screenshot, just downloaded it.
And for the motherboard, yes I know how long it was on the shelf, one month max as it had actually just been released the month before. From my experience I'd say it's a damn short battery life. Either way it's only £3 to replace, so I guess it won't harm anything doing it.

Also I was just informed that if it was the battery, my BIOS time would be off which it's not, just checked twice, and also that there's reported windows 7 clock bugs.

Can someone else confirm this? Someone who's not just got batteries on their mind ;-)

daniel508

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
if the BIOS time is fine, and it is just windows, check to see if you are in the correct time zone?
when connected to the internet, your clock will automatically adjust to match the time of your regional settings. so this seems a likely problem if it is just in Windows.

kvnt

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I am, and when I choose to sync with different sites it changes as well, the time.nist.gov is two minutes behind time.windows.com which is two minutes behind real time (most of the time, when it doesn't craze out and drops an hour).

TRENDING THREADS