monke2123

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hi I'm a longtime lurker - first time poster. great community we have here. I need some help..

My desktop will not boot. I get no BIOS screen (nothing at all happens on the monitor), no PC beeps, only the fans turn on running at a very high speed and do not turn off or slow down until i hold the power button for 4-5 seconds (referring to the CPU fan and the chasis fan). I have an optical mouse and the red light does not turn on (connected to a motherboard usb port). The keyboard light does not turn on either (connected to mobo ps/2)

Also if I flip the PSU switch off and on again the same thing happens (as if i had pressed the power button) - when everything was normal I could flip this switch with nothing happening.

I have 4 x 1gb mushkin advanced pc2 5200 @667 latencey 4-4-4-10. I tried switching them around, cleaning them, cleaning the RAM slots with canned air and nothing worked. When i take out all the RAM and try to power on I get PC beeps. I upgraded to these from 2 x 1gb pc2 5200 @ 667 latency 5-5-5-10 in november 2009. I do not have these original ram sticks but I was able to borrow two pc2 5300U sticks from another system and this did not solve the problem either.

I tried unhooking all the extraneous things attached to the motherboard (card reader, HDD, DVD drive) and this did not solve the problem either.

In november 2009 I also upgraded my PSU from a 350 watt to a 600 watt (b/c i got a new vid card). I pulled the new video card and switched to my original PSU and this did not solve the issue either...

I took off the fan and heat sink for the processor and it looks fine (no burn marks, its in place).

I inspected all the capacitors - they all have shinny flat heads (no orange dust or bulges etc.)...

I also moved the CMOS jumpers to the clear settings mode AND changed the CMOS battery as well. - No luck.

I pulled the motherboard to inspect the back, I think i see a small scorch mark. I'm unsure if it is a scorch mark at all though.. I took a picture of it see below - click for full size.

dsc0004lt.jpg

I would like to get a second opinion on this - Does this look like scorch mark to you?

Is there any other diagnostic tests I can run that will help diagnose this problem? I'm thinking of going to pick up a new MOBO at micro center but im kind of hesitant to do so because if a new mobo does not fix the problem then i looks like i would be stuck with it apprently they only offer exchanges for mobo's and thats if they are faulty (according to their return policy posted on their website). I have a AMD athlon x2 4200+, does anyone know if this processor will be compatible with a mobo with a AM2+ or AM3 socket type?

Sorry for being long winded, I appreciate any help!!

-monke2123

Socket am2 processors work with am2+am3 motherboards that use ddr2. Am3 boards are for am3 cpus and ddr3. In summary, am2 am2+ cpus won't run on am3 boards as the onboard memory controller won't recognize ddr3 ram. Am3 cpus can recognize either ddr2 or ddr3 ram. I recommend a new am2+am3 board if you want to reuse your old cpu and ram. Frys has an msi am2+am3 board with sempron 140 for $39.99 after rebate in today's ad (in stores only). Newegg has similar deals for the board only. I use these 6150se boards for any current am2+ or am3 cpus up to 95 watts. And yes, your board is probably toast. Those marks don't look good.

monke2123

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.