Renaming a program

G

how do i rename a program entirely? it is VERY important that i figure this out PLEASE HELP

You can't rename programs fully as that will probably cause all sorts of issues with registry entries, file not found errors, things like that, but you can change what the shortcut, folders, etc.. are called that surround it. Just do a custom setup and rename the location it installs in, then change the shortcut names to whatever.

I would not rename the program folder either unless you do that custom setup, if you do, anything that references that folder name will stop working.

I definitely missed something here, I see where AV apps like MBAM (before Chameleon) suggest to rename their product to filename.com, etc. And personally never had such a problem.

Not that I doubt you H-T-9 ! :whistle:

If a program is written to it does not use any outside references to it's directory name, renaming that directory or even the executable won't hurt. But it's hard to say if this will work for which application.

Let's say you have a .doc document,the registry states to open that .doc with the program in C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Office\Blah\blah.exe

You change that name, no more opening .doc files by double-clicking, it will ask you what you want to open this with.

You might also want to go into the folder options and uncheck "hide extensions for known file types" so that you can rename the extension also and not just the name. Of course as stated above, renaming some files or extensions can cause problems.