Compaq Armada M700 Combo NIC driver problem

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

I have installed Win98SE on a Compaq Armada M700 laptop but cannot load
the drivers for the internal NIC. The NIC is a modem/NIC combo (part no.
1456VQL10H(INT)). I have downloaded and tried all of the drivers listed on

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/locate/4_1009.html#17

I have also tried the SP12942 driver d/l from driverguide.com which is
listed specifically for the 1456VQL10H combo NIC -- all without success.

In Windows, under Control Panel/System/Device Manager, There are modem
related devices listed under Network Adapters for which Windows has loaded
the drivers but there are no NIC/Ethernet related drivers there.

Under Unknown devices, there is an entry 'PCI Communication Device'
listed. I have tried loading all the above drivers for this Unknown
device, without success. It is unclear to me why, if this device is the
NIC component of the combo card, it should be listed here rather than
under Network Adapter.

The BIOS config. does not appear to have a NIC enable/disable option...

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tom Crane.
--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
Email: T.Crane@rhul.ac.uk
Fax: +44 (0) 1784 472794
10 answers Last reply
More about compaq armada m700 combo driver problem
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    What OS was originally installed?
    HH

    <UHAP023@alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk> wrote in message
    news:2heuchFc3cffU1@uni-berlin.de...
    > I have installed Win98SE on a Compaq Armada M700 laptop but cannot load
    > the drivers for the internal NIC. The NIC is a modem/NIC combo (part no.
    > 1456VQL10H(INT)). I have downloaded and tried all of the drivers listed on
    >
    > http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/locate/4_1009.html#17
    >
    > I have also tried the SP12942 driver d/l from driverguide.com which is
    > listed specifically for the 1456VQL10H combo NIC -- all without success.
    >
    > In Windows, under Control Panel/System/Device Manager, There are modem
    > related devices listed under Network Adapters for which Windows has loaded
    > the drivers but there are no NIC/Ethernet related drivers there.
    >
    > Under Unknown devices, there is an entry 'PCI Communication Device'
    > listed. I have tried loading all the above drivers for this Unknown
    > device, without success. It is unclear to me why, if this device is the
    > NIC component of the combo card, it should be listed here rather than
    > under Network Adapter.
    >
    > The BIOS config. does not appear to have a NIC enable/disable option...
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tom Crane.
    > --
    > Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham
    Hill,
    > Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
    > Email: T.Crane@rhul.ac.uk
    > Fax: +44 (0) 1784 472794
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops HH <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > What OS was originally installed?

    I don't know -- it came with an erased HD ;-(
    Tom.

    > HH

    --
    Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
    Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
    Email: T.Crane@rhul.ac.uk
    Fax: +44 (0) 1784 472794
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Did you try the driver from Compaq? It's here:

    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/download/7792.html

    HH

    <UHAP023@alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk> wrote in message
    news:2hf49dFbq4h4U1@uni-berlin.de...
    > In comp.sys.laptops HH <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > > What OS was originally installed?
    >
    > I don't know -- it came with an erased HD ;-(
    > Tom.
    >
    > > HH
    >
    > --
    > Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham
    Hill,
    > Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
    > Email: T.Crane@rhul.ac.uk
    > Fax: +44 (0) 1784 472794
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Works wonders when you read the page :)

    >Did you try the driver from Compaq? It's here:
    >
    >http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/download/7792.html
    >
    >HH
    >
    ><UHAP023@alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk> wrote in message
    >news:2hf49dFbq4h4U1@uni-berlin.de...
    >> In comp.sys.laptops HH <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> > What OS was originally installed?
    >>
    >> I don't know -- it came with an erased HD ;-(
    >> Tom.
    >>
    >> > HH
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham
    >Hill,
    >> Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
    >> Email: T.Crane@rhul.ac.uk
    >> Fax: +44 (0) 1784 472794
    >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops Sharmon <on@request.com> wrote:
    > Works wonders when you read the page :)

    Indeed. I've tried the NIC diver on the URL below -- it is a link
    from their main list of drivers for the M700 which I gave in my first post.

    The thing that puzzles me is that the Windows device driver manager identifies
    no Network Adapters corresponding to the Ethernet card when it boots.
    If the H/W is present it should see it and prompt for the correct driver,
    if its not present on the Windows installer CD. Agreed?

    Tom

    >
    >>Did you try the driver from Compaq? It's here:
    >>
    >>http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/download/7792.html
    >>
    >>HH

    --
    Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
    Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
    Email: T.Crane@rhul.ac.uk
    Fax: +44 (0) 1784 472794
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Not always. Software (controllerless) modems often are not detected by
    Windows at all, or at best as an "unknown" device in Device Manager. That
    may be true of your combo card as well.
    HH

    <UHAP023@alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk> wrote in message
    news:2hjp99Fdfv7hU1@uni-berlin.de...
    > In comp.sys.laptops Sharmon <on@request.com> wrote:
    > > Works wonders when you read the page :)
    >
    > Indeed. I've tried the NIC diver on the URL below -- it is a link
    > from their main list of drivers for the M700 which I gave in my first
    post.
    >
    > The thing that puzzles me is that the Windows device driver manager
    identifies
    > no Network Adapters corresponding to the Ethernet card when it boots.
    > If the H/W is present it should see it and prompt for the correct driver,
    > if its not present on the Windows installer CD. Agreed?
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > >
    > >>Did you try the driver from Compaq? It's here:
    > >>
    > >>http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/download/7792.html
    > >>
    > >>HH
    >
    > --
    > Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham
    Hill,
    > Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
    > Email: T.Crane@rhul.ac.uk
    > Fax: +44 (0) 1784 472794
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    I have the same adapter (1456VQL10H(INT)) in an Armada M300. Still
    can't get the darn thing to work. Has anyone gotten it to work. If so
    are there any tricks to it?
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops ITApprentice <verara@29palms.usmc.mil> wrote:
    > I have the same adapter (1456VQL10H(INT)) in an Armada M300. Still
    > can't get the darn thing to work. Has anyone gotten it to work. If so

    No. I gave up re; Ethernet and bought a cheap PCMCIA card instead. The
    modem part of the combo works OK.

    Tom.

    --
    Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
    Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
    Email: T.Crane@rhul.ac.uk
    Fax: +44 (0) 1784 472794
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    UHAP023@alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk wrote:

    > In comp.sys.laptops ITApprentice <verara@29palms.usmc.mil> wrote:
    >
    >>I have the same adapter (1456VQL10H(INT)) in an Armada M300. Still
    >>can't get the darn thing to work. Has anyone gotten it to work. If so
    >>
    >
    > No. I gave up re; Ethernet and bought a cheap PCMCIA card instead. The
    > modem part of the combo works OK.

    Are you sure the mini-PCI card actually _has_ a NIC ? ISTR seeing some
    that have the pysical RJ45 socket, but wired to nowhere. I'd guess when
    shipped the card would have had a blanking plug fitted, which has since
    gone astray.

    In case its still of interest, I'll probably be breaking a M700 shortly.
    (internittent mobo fault :-/ ). One of the items would be the mini-PCI
    ethernet/modem combo (which worked fine with win98se - ISTR its an Intel
    NIC chipset). Just trying to get some money back on it ...
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Martin Slaney wrote:

    > UHAP023@alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.sys.laptops ITApprentice <verara@29palms.usmc.mil> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have the same adapter (1456VQL10H(INT)) in an Armada M300. Still
    >>> can't get the darn thing to work. Has anyone gotten it to work. If so
    >>>
    >>
    >> No. I gave up re; Ethernet and bought a cheap PCMCIA card instead. The
    >> modem part of the combo works OK.
    >
    >
    > Are you sure the mini-PCI card actually _has_ a NIC ? ISTR seeing some
    > that have the pysical RJ45 socket, but wired to nowhere. I'd guess when
    > shipped the card would have had a blanking plug fitted, which has since
    > gone astray.
    >
    > In case its still of interest, I'll probably be breaking a M700 shortly.
    > (internittent mobo fault :-/ ). One of the items would be the mini-PCI
    > ethernet/modem combo (which worked fine with win98se - ISTR its an Intel
    > NIC chipset). Just trying to get some money back on it ...
    >

    The M700 shipped with an Intel 56k/NIC combo mini-PCI, so unless it's
    defective, it should work. It's not supported by the Win2k drivers (not
    sure about XP, never ran that on my old M700), but Compaq has the proper
    drivers for it.

    Cosmin
Ask a new question

Read More

NIC Drivers Compaq Laptops