How you guys doing? I have been researching and lurking around here for awhile. I know most of you guys are pretty good at this stuff from all the advice and posts I had read. I am currently running a very old machine for 8 years now and it still works!! P4 2.6 ghz 512 ram 64 gpu. YES, for 8 years straight and i had went thru 4 hard drives.
As you can see i am in need of a new machine BUT i do not want to be spending a few g's. My budget would be under $1000 before MIR's. I want to use this machine for EVERYTHING that i had missed over the past 8 years. That goes for a lot of PC GAMING!! I want this PC to last me more then 5 years but i know that's not going to happen. I do want parts for future upgradeable. i am building an i5 system (parts are listed on the bottom) but for whatever reason you guys may have for not going with i5 but rather go with i7... PLEASE PLEASE LIST THEM AND TELL ME YOUR ADVICE.
Please point me to the right parts, price and the direction.
well enough for the blahblahblah and on to the good stuff.... here is a list of parts that i had arrange. please... please let me know what am i missing, need or if any of these parts are not compatible with each other or whatever not...
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: At anytime when the price is right.
like microcenter is having the i5 for $159.99. i'll order that today!!
BUDGET RANGE: $1000 and under before MIR - if that's not possible with the parts i want then i could swing a few hundred more.
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: GAMING, Internet, School, Light Photoshop, and whatever I throw at it.
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, I already have a antec 900 case
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Not really sure how many part sites are there but whoever got the best price/deals... newegg.com, microcenter, ewiz, tiger whatever.... ANYWHERE..
PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel, EVGA, whatever you guys recommend.
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe... I want to run stock first cause i am still learning how to OC...
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: SLI... Maybe.. if that happens it will be in the near future.. but for now, no
MONITOR RESOLUTION: Dell S2209W 1920x1080
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a quiet PC, should i go for windows 7 or vista or ??? I am not going to OC until i figure out how to so if we could find a MB that's super easy for a first timer to OC would be sweet. I like EVGA... MB AND GPU please. And would my 900 case be big enough? Also i will be getting an dvd drive and another HDD later on. Shouldn't be more then $80 but that's after this build.
I would stick with the Arctic Silver 5 (pick it up from Microcenter to save on delivery cost). Newegg doesn't list the type of thermal paste it is, so I'd just stick with what "we" know is one of the best.
1) would the parts i had arrange... would any like the cpu and gpu bottleneck? (all on stock settings)
2) would all of this fit the antec 900 case? along with HSF that Tecmo34 had recommend?
3) get a bigger or smaller PS... might be going SLI in the near future and also OC...
4) more then half of the people on this forum OC there cpu... from the list i had arrange... if i dont OC... it will still run as good as if i did OC?? (might be a stupid question.. i'm just wanna make sure)
5) if all parts are good... i would just put all of them together and power up and install OS and hopefully i would not run into any problems????
3) If you plan to SLI, you are okay with the 750w PSU. It will handle two GTX275's just fine. If no SLI, you could drop down to a 650w or 550w PSU and be okay
4) You will be fine with your system, if you don't OC. Once you get setup, stop in the OCing section and they'll help you out. You should do 3.2 GHz or a little higher by just using the MOBO's dummie OC feature, which does the work for you.
5) That would be the plan... including installing all the drivers... You may have to go into your BIOS and manually adjust your RAM timings and voltage to spec. After getting up and running with everything installed, I recommend running Prime95 to make sure system is stable and not running too hot. 3DMark Vantage will give you a benchmark on your system performance, so you can compare to other similar systems.
would you recommend me going with i7 instead of i5? Pretty much i want to used this computer for whatever the reason is. whatever i throw at it. I just want a stable computer that could last me for a long time. of course with a few minor upgrades from here and there. As you can see, we cant really keep up with technology... I just don't want to be stuck with the parts i have and when its time to upgrade.. minor will become major...
also... ram is good enough? or should i do better?
The easy one... Your RAM is fine. You will notice very little difference between 1333 & 1600.
The hard one... I'm a fan of the Core i7 920. I still feel it is the best CPU/Setup you can buy. However, all results/benchmarks so the Core i5 performs very close to the i7 920. It really comes down to three things to me in one what Core ix to get.
1) You plan/do heavy level CAD, Video or Picture editing or activities along those lines. This type of system is best designed for the Core i7 920.
2) Plan on highend dual GPU setup or triple GPU setups, it is best suited for the Core i7
3) Want the best system for the money without spending a lot, this is what the Core i5 is designed for. You are looking at about another $200+ for an Core i7. If the benefits in your mind outway the cost, switch to the Core i7. At this point, I would recommend the Core i5 to you. It is the best bang for the buck performance wise (Sorry my AMD fans...)
You will enjoy your system and be amazed at how fast things open and work for you. I gave my Dad a Q9550 to replace his P4 and he couldn't believe the difference. He was clicking on icons and opening four or five sessions before he knew it. He was so use to having to wait or click on it a bunch of times with his P4.
As I said... Have fun with the build and if you have more questions... We are here to help!!
i would want to stick with corsair.. but newegg has that PS sold out... i dont wanna pay taxes with microcenter. anyone know anywhere else i could get this for the same price without tax and free shipping?