Hard drive fell to the ground during gaming

balailomax

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
hi guys, my first post here. I accidentally pushed my internal hard drive off the top of my pc casing and it fell some 1 and a half feet and hit the ground. It was heating up a lil so i had taken it out of the casing and placed it on the top just to bring the temp down a bit. I was playing an online game when the hard drive fell. Now it wont start. It just makes a constant dim noise like it's running but the windows wont boot. Is it toast? can i atleast get my data? i tried connecting it to my laptop using a USB connector but nothing. The same noise and the windows said the USB device not recognized. Thanks for your help.

if you have really important data on there its sometimes possible to replace the drive circuit board on the bottom with another identical one and the drive will work--it has to be exactly the same part number--

this will only help if its the circuit board and not the drives internal parts and it can be a pain to find the identical board--off ebay usually--drives are so cheap nowadays unless you have all your really important data on there its not worth the bother but i have successfully done this a couple of times to recover peoples huge photo collections that they didnt have the sense to back up somewhere

failing that as supermuncher said its a clean room job and a huge bill or bin it