Sign in with
Your question

High pitched Noise

Last response: in Motherboards
March 8, 2010 8:57:43 AM

In the last two days a High pitched noise has been coming from the tower, I'm not sure why it has started doing this, or what it is. Its not a nice noise at all. After looking at google it could mean a number of things from the psu to the motherboard, mostly the motherboard, anyone know what it means specifically? And does this mean i will need to change the motherboard Pretty quickly?

Its not sticky keys etc , its louder and more high pitched, its more of a whine. and it does the noise when im not even touching the keyboard.

ive had the motherboard since July 2008.
(http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140209)

It Also seems to be completely random, the only hardware change recently has been my new 22inch monitor.

Other system specs
Psu - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120675
Q6600 2.4ghz
9500GT 1GB
3gb pc6400ram
1TB Samsung F2 HDD
500TB maxtor 7200rpm HDD

If it does mean i need to change the motherboard, can someone recommend one, i will be upgrading the gfx card to a 5770 in a month or two. ( i live in england so sites like ebuyer etc only please)

Thanks.

More about : high pitched noise

March 8, 2010 10:38:46 AM

Have you opened the case to investigate the source? I would and see if you can tell form where within the noise is coming. Also while in there, dust it out. Could be as simple as a dusty fan struggling to spin.
March 8, 2010 10:41:49 AM

nocheese said:
Have you opened the case to investigate the source? I would and see if you can tell form where within the noise is coming. Also while in there, dust it out. Could be as simple as a dusty fan struggling to spin.

What would i be looking for? Scorch marks? Damaged components on the motherboard? Ill have a look anyway n clear what ever dust i can while im at it.
Related resources
March 8, 2010 10:46:20 AM

You're "looking" with your ears for the source of the noise.
March 8, 2010 10:47:46 AM

Can you tell me what could cause this so i can look for a problem more specifically, The gap inbetween whines can be quite, or can be a couple of minutes difference.

doesnt seem like much dust since it wasnt too long ago i removed most of the build-up.

for the cpu fan, its a artic pro 7 and seems to be running fine.
March 8, 2010 10:59:23 AM

Well i cant really sit my ear inside the pc for an hour+ as sometimes thats how long the gap may be. Checked Graphics and CPu temps, they are all fine.

March 8, 2010 2:32:19 PM

Well if you're not going to sit with your ear in the PC for an hour+, I'm certainly not going to either.

How about you leave the case open and when you hear the sound then listen closely to see where it comes from. Snapshots from hardware monitors, unless they are tied into an array of microphones will be an utter waste of time for this issue.
March 8, 2010 3:12:06 PM

nocheese said:
Well if you're not going to sit with your ear in the PC for an hour+, I'm certainly not going to either.

How about you leave the case open and when you hear the sound then listen closely to see where it comes from. Snapshots from hardware monitors, unless they are tied into an array of microphones will be an utter waste of time for this issue.

Well to be honest I didn't expect much help from you after your 2nd reply.

You said a fan may be getting stuck etc. so I checked temps to make sure nothing is overheating, which is why the snapshot is there.

And what happens when I listen to the sound & tell you its coming from the motherboard? ...

Since you are unable to help with my issue, maybe you can help with selecting a new motherboard.

It must allow all my current components. (q6600, the ddr2 800mhz ram, pci-e gfx, 4 sata connectors and one ide)

I currently use onboard sound as well so i would prefer the mobo to have decent onboard sound. i care little about the onboard graphics though.

The reason im asking for help on the mobo is because I have no knowledge at all of chipsets.

Thanks.
March 8, 2010 4:18:31 PM

Didn't say stuck, I said struggling to spin. That means it's still spinning, but having a problem possibly causing the noise. That could also be a case fan or power supply fan so changing the motherboard out would not cause the problem to go away.

All of the advice given thus far has been completely relevant to the descriptions you've given. You just don't want to do the legwork to see where the problem is.

You want t replace the motherboard hoping that throwing random parts at the issue might fix it, go ahead. Maybe one of the suggestions from the other people on this thread will point you in the right direction.

Good luck.
March 8, 2010 4:51:28 PM

nocheese said:
Didn't say stuck, I said struggling to spin. That means it's still spinning, but having a problem possibly causing the noise. That could also be a case fan or power supply fan so changing the motherboard out would not cause the problem to go away.

All of the advice given thus far has been completely relevant to the descriptions you've given. You just don't want to do the legwork to see where the problem is.

You want t replace the motherboard hoping that throwing random parts at the issue might fix it, go ahead. Maybe one of the suggestions from the other people on this thread will point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

How would a fan struggling to spin cause a loud high pitched BEEP. Definitely not a fan. Only two things could cause this, the motherboard and maybe the PSU. Most likely the Motherboard as its similar to the sticky key beep, except its louder, more high pitched, and sounds like a whine.

Stuck, struggling to spin, same difference, they would both cause a higher temp. and unless fans have speakers, they cant make the noise i keep hearing

Anyway would you care to explain to me what advice you have given? you told me to listen to where the beep is coming from, thats it, that isnt advice.

And i dont think you've been reading properly since there are no other suggestions from any other people.

Not only that, you didnt even read/care what I have been saying.

I can see this part of the forum is a lot less helpful than the other sections, or maybe its just you.

p.s. Like i originally said, the motherboard is pretty old, and it was cheap budget one then.
And ive tried doing the legwork, but if the beeping whine doesnt happen how am i supposed to find out where its coming from, its not predictable, it doesnt happen when i want it to, because if it did, it wouldnt happen at all.
March 8, 2010 4:55:14 PM

This is the first you used the word beep. In your original posting you used the word whine. I've been reading very carefully.

Listening to where the noise comes from is indeed advice. it is the way you will determine what the problem is.

As for your query, "And i dont think you've been reading properly since there are no other suggestions from any other people. ", that's sarcasm. You don't like the help I've been attempting to give, but yet there's been no other.

you don't find this helpful, fine. You're on your own. I'm done here and unsubscribing from the thread. Good luck.
March 8, 2010 5:14:44 PM

nocheese said:
This is the first you used the word beep. In your original posting you used the word whine. I've been reading very carefully.

Listening to where the noise comes from is indeed advice. it is the way you will determine what the problem is.

As for your query, "And i dont think you've been reading properly since there are no other suggestions from any other people. ", that's sarcasm. You don't like the help I've been attempting to give, but yet there's been no other.

you don't find this helpful, fine. You're on your own. I'm done here and unsubscribing from the thread. Good luck.

I was on my own from the start. I already said once 'if the problem is the motherboard, then what?' You didnt answer.

I believe you ego is a lil high. Nor do i think you actually know what the problem is, or any idea at all(even if i knew for certain it is the motherboard [which im pretty sure it is]. I also asked for a suggestion on a new motherboard, instead you completely ignored that as well
a c 108 V Motherboard
March 8, 2010 11:18:49 PM

Lindley010,

In my experience this type of noise is usually associated with audio devices. From what you've described, I am leaning toward "feedback", the sound you might hear when putting a microphone in front of a speaker.

If/when this noise presents itself again, try removing any audio connections you may have. Also, if this is indeed the problem, you could try removing the sound card (if you have one installed) or disabling the audio chipset.

As for a new motherboard recommendation, AMD chipsets are cheaper, but arguably lesser performance. AMD and ATI work together to support each other's products. Since you are planning on getting the 5770, perhaps you should start your search with AMD boards.

At this point, any further recommendations for a motherboard will be shots in the dark without more information from you. For example:

What is your total build budget?

What will be the primary function for this build?

What parts are you keeping/reusing?

What performance benchmarks are you hoping for?
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2010 11:53:48 PM

The noise is NOT coming from the motherboard, it is coming from either a fan, power supply or speaker. Try disconnecting the speaker. If it is coming from a speaker then it is probably due to the computer overheating and you should check that the air vents are clear of dust. Try running the computer with the side cover off and disconnecting any case fans one by one, try another power supply.
Are you sure that the noise is coming from the computer? Try turning of the monitor when the sound occurs.
March 9, 2010 3:19:15 AM

Yes, Power supplys can create this noise as the inductors (coils) can resonate at harmonics to the frequiency of the swithing in the power supply if they are a bit loose. I had this noise for quite a while in my computer, but it went away after about 2 weeks.
March 9, 2010 11:18:17 AM

What speaker? When i bought the motherboard, i never connected the system speaker. I have no microphone plugged in. The only speakers i have plugged in are a 2.1 divoom speaker set. and i am 100% certain it isnt coming from that. i have no sound card, using the onboard sound, if its a problem with that, then i still need to replace the motherboard.

Fans cant make Beep noises, fans do not have speakers.

And yes, i am 100% sure the noise is coming from the tower. not the monitor, not the speakers, not the keyboard, not the mouse. I only have 2 fans, 1 artic pro freezer 7 for the q6600 and one front led case fan. Both of which i have checked, ive also checked temps and even tried forcing the pc to increase in heat to see if that would cause these loud beeps, it didnt.

The beeps are random, sometimes they happen, sometimes they dont, its a single loud beep, it is not continuous.

To T_T. i am not willing to change the q6600. I dont mind changing the ddr2 ram for ddr3, and as stated above, i will be upgrading the gfx to a 5770 when i can.

benchmarks i care little about, as long as they can run games at 1680x1050 resolution with at least medium settings then im happy.

The power supply i will be changing too, again, when i can afford it. I tend to upgrade my pc component by component, instead of all at once, as i simply cant afford to do that.

My budget is as low as possible, ill pick my own psu, but its the motherboard i want suggestions on as i have no idea about chipsets. which is what usually makes two motherboards different.
March 9, 2010 7:19:20 PM

If you want a new motherboard you might have to change CPU too, as the CPU you have now is LGA 775 socket which is not really worth investing any money into. I would recomend a motherboard with the LGA 1156 socket, with an i5 processor. There are only 4 chipsets for that type of board at the moment the oldest being the p55 chipset (which is still kinda new), so really just choose the one that has the features you want and need at the right price.

I f you dont want to spend that kind of money, then I would highly reccomend changing to AMD, as a hight end AMD system will still be cheaper than a average Intel system.

Thinks about it
March 9, 2010 7:32:06 PM

hamiac said:
If you want a new motherboard you might have to change CPU too, as the CPU you have now is LGA 775 socket which is not really worth investing any money into. I would recomend a motherboard with the LGA 1156 socket, with an i5 processor. There are only 4 chipsets for that type of board at the moment the oldest being the p55 chipset (which is still kinda new), so really just choose the one that has the features you want and need at the right price.

I f you dont want to spend that kind of money, then I would highly reccomend changing to AMD, as a hight end AMD system will still be cheaper than a average Intel system.

Thinks about it

Well i apologize for not having hundreds of pounds to waste on a system that gives me no benefit.

As i stated, i am not changing the Q6600, it easily destroys most systems, and to be honest, AMD is shít.

i will definitely not be changing from the 755 socket in the next year. intel destroys amd in every single way.

even ati has only one advantage, price. the only way ati and amd has a advantage is price. games always fail with ati. drivers fail, constant problems.

Anyway, so i wont be changing from the q6600, but when i look at two motherboards, they have the same specs, except one has a different chipset and is priced higher, this is why i need help choosing a motherboard. i know nothing about chipsets.

Congrats if you have a high paying job and have plenty of money to blow on a pc every few months, most do not.(ps i did say "My budget is as low as possible,"
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2010 8:40:51 PM

You probably do have a speaker connected to your motherboard inside the case; it can be a little round pot type speaker mounted on the motherboard connector or a small normal type speaker mounted on the side of the case. If the noise is a beep and not a whine then it is almost certainly coming from this speaker. This noise is probably an alarm for a fault condition such as temperatures to high or fan speed to low. Many motherboards come with monitoring software for temperature, voltages and fan speed where you can set the trip points I suspect that one of these trip points is incorrectly set or that you do have a fault.

March 9, 2010 8:55:06 PM

pjmelect said:
You probably do have a speaker connected to your motherboard inside the case; it can be a little round pot type speaker mounted on the motherboard connector or a small normal type speaker mounted on the side of the case. If the noise is a beep and not a whine then it is almost certainly coming from this speaker. This noise is probably an alarm for a fault condition such as temperatures to high or fan speed to low. Many motherboards come with monitoring software for temperature, voltages and fan speed where you can set the trip points I suspect that one of these trip points is incorrectly set or that you do have a fault.

Wow, do i sound like a moron? i dont mind asking for help, but when i get treated like a 12 year old i start to get pissed off.

The motherboard came with a pc speaker, i did not connect this.

I built the WHOLE computer my self.

The beep is definitely a warning, THATS WHY I AM HERE.

I have not installed any overclocking software.

The temperatures are normal.

Fan speeds are set to run at max speed CONSTANT, not set to run at what ever they want to.

My motherboard was only made to support vista/xp, not windows 7, so it came with no windows 7 drivers/software.

Anyway, all this leads to me changing the motherboard, which i have yet to receive no suggestions to.

The beeps have only been annoying me since the 6th of march. (this is 3rd day)

p.s i have been running windows 7 for months. The beep has only happenened in the last few days, with no changes except maybe a shitty windows 7 update which i dont know what that was.

Im honestly getting more pissed off with this than i am with the beep.

I have actually lost all interest, if you dont know, dont say anything. You are no help, and infact have a negative impact.

No bios changes have been made, i have checked all bios settings anyway. no hardware changes. no NOTHING have changed.

*** me just suggest a new motherboard in GBP that supports a Q6600.
July 12, 2010 1:46:39 AM

Sounds to me like lindley is just looking for a fight.... nocheese had a good answer....it worked for me and my tower 'whine'.... Any suggestion lindley gets is not good enough....this person is not even trying to listen for a solution.... too worried about looking inferior. Why are you even asking for help?!
!