MOBO TURNING OFF! URGENT HELP PLEASE

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Kia Ora, guys.

I need some help here in kiwiland, well, more like frustrationland.

My pc is a homebuilt one and it has started to turn itself off. This happens in the middle of gaming or emailing, or simply for no reason at all.

I am then unable to turn it back on and i have to turn off the power at the wall for some time, then try again.

Sometimes, i get a bootscreen error showing an overclocking error, even though i keep things as standard.

I hhave replaced the case in case something was shortng out, and have replaced the PSU, but still no luck.

I am gettng some new RAM this week, but when i ran a memory test, i couldnt see any problems.

Things dont seem to be so bad when i reinstall windows, but then the problems still come back

My motherboard has been replaced by Asus 3 times in the last year.

I have an Asus p5b-e mobo, Radeon x550 graphics card, E6420 cpu and 1gb ddr2-800 RAM.

I just bought online the following RAM, but i am scared that it wont work cause only the 667mhz of this one ( 800 ) is listed in the QVL.

2GB RAM

240 pin - For Desktop PC

DDR2 800 - Backward compatible with 533

Non-ECC , Unbuffered, CL5

Can ANYONE help me or give me some idea of what the problem could be?

CPU temp hovers around 40-47 degrees.

I also cant install Asus AIsuite. I have an error dump, but not on me right now.

Solution
Well, isn't a secrect that your problem is the mobo, so, try to get a new an better mobo. ASUS is a very good manufacturer, but like all manufactures, sometimes the things aren't very good.
Hi, the RAM is fine. That your new RAM isn't listened on the QVL on the mobo doesn't meand that this don't works. The mobos wasn't tested with the RAM that you bought.

Boot you PC with only the 2GB of RAM that you bought, and run prime95 for 1 hour.

Let me know the results.

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks, my friend. the local pc shop in town says they will fix pc's in an hour for $40, so i am going to take it down to them today, cant be bothered waiting for the ram to turn up.

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Well, took the PC to the repair shop and eventually found out it was the mobo after all.

Computer was tested for 24 hours with a PC technician at a who found the following faults with the mobo. pci-e16 slot not securing graphics card correctly. Possible power supply problem from mobo to ram slot, and faulty northbridge accordng to an error code they got whilst testing it.

So, back to asus the mobo goes to be replaced for a fourth time.

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

I have requested an return authorization from pp computers, but have also splashed out on a cheap, new gigabyte mini-atx motherboard and have installed that and am just reinstalling windows.

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

I ended up buying a gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L mobo

All was going good for the reinstallation of windows xp, UNTIL i installed service pack 3. Upon restarted the pc, i get an error at the boot-up screen saying "ntldr is missing" and it wont boot.

I am now nearly finished the THIRD reinstall of windows xp. I tried installing the sp3 before the mobo driver disk and after. Same probem.
What can i do?

Flyingkiwidude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
UPDATE

I sent my Asus mobo back and they came back with :

The supplier says they have tested your motherboard and it works 100% fine with no errors.

Heres their response...

" Test Result: Passed Functional tests

- Passed 3DMark tests

Note: Please inform customer: the problem could be causing by other faulty components or issues. Please return the pc unit to the nearest computer repair store for further inspection.

We were unable to find the fault as described by customer. Please reply whether you would like us to send another replacement unit in this case or return the unit.

Note: The possible cause to the problem as customer described " Computer crashing, not turning on, resetting itself, freezing" is showing as

follows:

- I/O panel didn't mounted properly with the motherboard

- Power/HDD LED cable has been wrongly plugged onboard

- Chipset fan plugged on wrong slot onboard

- USB cable has been wrongly plugged onboard.

These common human errors will cause damage to the motherboard and blue screen intermittently. It's strongly recommended to have the motherboard setup by a certified technician.

Furthermore problem could cause system hang, blue screen or restart by

itself:

Hard Drive contain bad sectors

Faulty memory stick"