Sign in with
Your question

Marriage of Belkin router to 2wire modem

Last response: in Components
December 8, 2009 7:29:42 PM

Hi there. I spent all day yesterday failing to synch my new Belkin N+ wireless router to my exixting 2wire Gateway modem. AT&T told me to use a PPPoE connection with an MTU of 1492 which did not work. The issue appears to be the 2wire granting permission to the router. Can one of you savvy network-aholics help me?
December 9, 2009 12:12:13 AM

Well, I just want to be thorough, so here's a little checklist:

1. The Ethernet port on your 2WIRE modem is connected to the ADSL Line port on the router.

2. Your computer is either wired directly to the router or is wirelessly connected.

3. You can access the Belkin user interface. (enter 192.168.2.1 in your browser)

4. Connection type is set to PPPoE, and the username is your @att.net or @sbcglobal.net email address, and the password is the respective password.

Don't really worry about the MTU. That should be fairly standardized...

If all these conditions are satisfied and it still isn't working, let me know. :) 
m
l
December 17, 2009 11:26:58 AM

Catherine said:
Hi there. I spent all day yesterday failing to synch my new Belkin N+ wireless router to my exixting 2wire Gateway modem. AT&T told me to use a PPPoE connection with an MTU of 1492 which did not work. The issue appears to be the 2wire granting permission to the router. Can one of you savvy network-aholics help me?

Hi there,

Hi, Zinosys. Thanks for your help. I've been out of town for a week or so. Nevertheless, when my computer is hooked to the router per manufacturer 's instructions, I could not access the browser (or anything else for that matter). In order to do all of that I had to take the router back out of the loop.

My router has 4 ports labeled wired, one "port" labeled storage, and a yellow port labeled modem.
m
l
!