Sign in with
Your question

WD WD6000HLHX 600gb formatted at 300gb

Last response: in Storage
July 19, 2011 11:24:28 PM

I bought a a 600GB VelociRaptor bare drive from Compu-U-Plus for a brand new build and when I installed Windows 7 the drive formatted at 300gb.
Has anyone ever had or heard of this problem before?

I also formatted a 2 TB Caviar Black SATA III at the same time with at 2TB no problems.

MB = ASRock Z68 Extreme4 LGA 1155
CPU = i7-2600k
OS = Win7 Home Premium

a b G Storage
July 20, 2011 2:06:46 AM

What does your BIOS say? Does it show it as a 600GB drive?
July 20, 2011 3:00:31 AM

tokencode said:
What does your BIOS say? Does it show it as a 600GB drive?

BIOS and Device Manager both have WD WD600HLHX-01JJPVO.
It is also not connected to either of the Marvel Sata3 connectors but the port 0 SATA3.
Related resources
July 20, 2011 3:44:25 PM

soonerbil said:
BIOS and Device Manager both have WD WD600HLHX-01JJPVO.
It is also not connected to either of the Marvel Sata3 connectors but the port 0 SATA3.

Did you check the pin setting on the hd?.If even has one?Just checking.Iam not being a a--.
July 20, 2011 4:02:39 PM

Comp-U-Plus Customer Support just emailed me that it was a "manufacturer's defect" and the drives would only format at 300GB.
They did NOT offer to send me a replacement 600GB drive, just that they would refund my money once it was returned.
Ergo, we have learned once again boys and girls that if it looks Too Good To Be True it probably is a duck.
And we have also learned that a dollar saved is the beginning of a wonderful RMA together.

ASUS X48: No pin setting and I would not have thought you an ass in either circumstance.
July 20, 2011 4:21:50 PM

soonerbil said:
Comp-U-Plus Customer Support just emailed me that it was a "manufacturer's defect" and the drives would only format at 300GB.
They did NOT offer to send me a replacement 600GB drive, just that they would refund my money once it was returned.
Ergo, we have learned once again boys and girls that if it looks Too Good To Be True it probably is a duck.
And we have also learned that a dollar saved is the beginning of a wonderful RMA together.

ASUS X48: No pin setting and I would not have thought you an ass in either circumstance.

Thanks
!