Im being told not to overclock anything

sgtpepper23

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
My SPECS:

Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard ASUS® P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3: PCI-E 3.0 READY, SLI, CROSSFIREX
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card 1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
HD: 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
CORSAIR 850W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX850 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER
Sound Blaster® Audigy™ SE

COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 BLUE CASE

Basically, i wanted to overclock the GPU and CPU in order to gain a couple of frames in 3d vision 1080p aand normal 1080p gaming.

Ive been told on a certain forum by three people not to overclock if i dont know how to do it and because its not worth it. As it can fry etc etc

But i wanted advice from here just to be sure..

I want to play 3d vision 1080p games at high or medium/highish with atleast 30fps

Is there absolute NO NEED to overclcoK?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
i wouldn't touch your cpu, though if you want to OC your GPU (not really needed unless you're not enjoying the game's smoothness), then you can read this guide: Overclocking Nvidia: GeForce 9600 GT

That card's old, however the idea is the same. Read through it, and see if you're any more confident about it.

EDIT: i'm advising not to OC your CPU because at your resolution, games are more GPU bound, so the performance increase would be small, and CPU overclocking seems a more daunting task, at least to me. Read about overclocking your processor before trying anything. GPU overclocking is usually easier.

sgtpepper23

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
thanks for the reply, how much of an increase will overclocking be? I only want to oc because a lot of 570 users seem to..

Some of us just automatically overclock. I have been overclocking for nearly 35 years. Never lost a CPU.

OTOH, if your system does what you need it to do without overclocking, there's no real need.

ojas, the new Intel K's and AMD BE's are much easier to overclock than the older CPU's. OTOH, I do not OC GPU's. I figure that they run hot enough anyway.

And a question: who here was talking about a 9600GT? OP has a GTX570.

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
if you want to oc, get evga precision or something along those lines for the gpu, and since you have an asus motherboard, use their ai suite to overclock the cpu. it does it for you all you do is click a button and bam 4.5ghz easy.

You will find no issues playing games with your CPU and video card running at stock speeds.

If you decide to over-clock any component in your rig, you should read a basic guide and understand the general principles.

This will help you learn techniques and utilities for testing the stability of your system, monitoring temps and voltages, and teach you how to reset your CMOS in the event you must re-load and 'optimize' your BIOS for your original stock component settings.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

Ah. I tried overclocking my granddad's P4 prescott, managed some 300 MHz on stock cooling, that's about all i've ever tried :p

My mobo is an intel one so it doesn't let me mess with anything. Plus my CPU gets too hot (high ambient, stock cooling).

So yeah i've always been more worried about OC-ing my CPU. I know the GPU gets hot but then hey they're usually cheaper and less critical than CPUs are. At least that's my case.

I was talking about a 9600GT. Not really talking about the card though, talking about overclocking. There was this tom's guide on overlcocking. (see my link). They've used a 9600GT because it's old. But obviously, principle and method is the same, so i said "have a look".

As long as you check the Vcore voltage and do not exceed 1.35 (max spec is 1.5V) and your cores are under 75 C (max is mid 90 C) you are fine.

The manuf software for doing a mild OC works pretty good (up to about 4.6). They may be alittle over agressive in setting Vcore and you can manually decrease slightly.

For single threaded applications, a OC of 4.2 is not really needed. The CPU will go to 3.7 on it's own, so 4.2 only represents a increase of 13%, not detectable in most cases. 4.6, which most can hit would be a 24% increase in cpu performance - Would be noticable.
For multitreaded apps, even a 4.2 would be a good OC ( 27% increase) and 4.6 would be a wapping 39% increase!!.

For games, the CPU has much less effect than the GPU, But you probable would increase multitreaded games FPS by a small percentage. I'm not a gamer, so can not be more specific.

For GPU OC, I'll let gamers weigh in. But again as long as temperatures are not to high - go for it.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Well, my experience with overclocking the GPU is that a 15% OC has given me 15 more performance. And the rise in temperature is minimal (though this depends on your GPU) compared to the same game without the overclock. Raising clocks increases the temps by three degrees at the most on idle with the GPU fan running at 100% on my PC.

The temperature seems to be more load dependent. So high clocks with exposed to a high load tend to see higher temps.