Sign in with
Your question

Will this work? Power supply & Hardware

Last response: in Components
December 8, 2009 10:53:43 PM

I getting ready to order my parts for my new computer, thanks to the help of everyone here.

The power supply & case I will order assuming its compatible is Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail

But I'm not sure how to tell if it is compatible with the Mobo, Vid Card, and everything else.

Mobo - ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Vid Card - XFX HD-465X-ZDF2 Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail

Its been 5 years since I built a computer and there have been many new developments that make me feel inadequate for the job haha.

---Side question while I'm posting---
With the Mobo above, if I buy an AM3 chip like the x3 triple core 2.7 do I have to buy DDR3 memory, or can I get away with DDR2?

Thank you for all your help
December 8, 2009 11:13:08 PM

the power supply should be fine but im not sure about the connectors or quality, because its with the case. but it is antec, so im not sure. and apparently the mobo only supports ddr2 if you read the specs.
m
l
December 8, 2009 11:18:15 PM

I missed that detail in the Mobo, my mistake... I appreciate the quick response.

I also felt weary about the power supply coming with the case , but with both being Antec products I was hoping I would be ok.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
December 8, 2009 11:28:03 PM

The case and PSU will be compatible with the motherboard and video card.

But look at the reliability of the motherboard. 18% 1-star ratings. You might want to rethink your choice of motherboards.
m
l
!