Sign in with
Your question
Solved

NTFS or FAT32?

Last response: in Storage
July 20, 2011 2:19:16 AM

Hey all, I just picked up a 16gb Sandisk flash drive and I want to format it but not sure which format to use, NTFS or FAT32? Im sure there has to be a thread on here explaining the benefits for each so if anyone knows of such a thread please feel free to direct me towards it, I just didnt see any when I was looking just now.

So the question is, whats the differences and which format is recommended? Ill be using it lightly, mainly to store a few videos on or pictures. Thanks in advance!

More about : ntfs fat32

Best solution

a b G Storage
July 20, 2011 3:11:52 AM

Are you worried cause you got it second hand? Well, if you must format it, and since it will not be a backup solution, and it is a external drive, and its only 16gb, then you should go with FAT32.

However, your flash drive probably already comes FAT, so you dont need to do anything.

Had the drive been bigger than 32gb, or was a internal solutuion in a windows machine, or was a drive meant for backup, you should have gone NTFS
a b G Storage
July 20, 2011 4:32:48 AM

Another consideration would be file permissions, NTFS permissions are far more robust.
m
l
July 20, 2011 1:28:07 PM

Best answer selected by FulmeR.
m
l
!