Overall computer compatability

mindtraffic

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hi, im running a 780i sli motheboard with inter core 2 quad. and a geforece 79o0 GTX with a 500 watt power supply. unfortunately my 7900 is old and not compatible with my motherboard and im looking to buy a new one. ive been looking at the GTX 275 but that needs at least a 550 power wat supply. i used to have a 600 watt on my comp but that apparently wasnt compatible either. any advice on either a new graphics card/ and or power supply?

What resolution are you running at? That determines what you need for a GPU.

Once you figure out the GPU needs then you can decide on a PSU. What PSU do you currently have, make and model is preferable, but current on the 12 volt rails works too.

A GTS 250 will run fine on that PSU and will be plenty for that resolution, if you want to max stuff out then get a GTX260. The antec PSU will be fine, nVidia and ATI list requirements higher than it actually needs because a 550 watt RAIDMAX will only provide about as much as an antec EA380.

mindtraffic

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
ah okay thanks a bunch man, i had a umm enermax noisetaker II 600 watt before the antec, but that wasnt compatible. figured id check out a forum before i but more useless stuff. (damn the staples guy).

depends on the price difference, i suggest buying it online though, you will save quite a bit. If its a slight price difference for an OC'ed one get that, if its a large difference you can OC it yourself. Get one from BFG or one of the eVGA's that have a lifetime warranty if you can.