AMD FX-4120 > Intel i5 2500k

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Both cpu's are going to be around the same price (when fx-4120 comes out), but...

AMD FX-4120 Intel i5 2500k
3.9 GHz (stock) 3.3 GHz(stock)
1 MB L2 cache (per core) 256 KB L2 cache (per core)
8 MB L3 cache (shared cache) 6 MB L3 cache (shared cache)
4 cores / 4 threads 4 cores / 4 threads

AMD's bulldozers are going to nom-nom on Intel's processors. :)

Prove me wrong (or agree with me).

shiftstealth

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
AMD's Bulldozer 8170 features 4 clusters of 2 cores each. In short each cluster acts like 1 core. 1 Cluster handles 1 thread. Therefore their 4 core solution will handle like a dual core. PS: The 8170 is rumored to be $266.

It may act out to be phenomenal with 2 cores handling one video game thread.

cscottm90

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I have to assume (based on your confidence), that you have already ordered your AM3+ motherboard (if you already don't have one) or better yet, have placed a preorder for a cpu

doyletdude

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

With black Friday being so soon after release i doubt you will save more than 10-15$
Also I think you are trolling, but just in the event that you are not, I will humor you without officially taking sides.

The problem is we don't know how much Bulldozer can get done per Ghz compared to Sandy Bridge.
So it could be we are comparing apples and oranges with clock speeds. I will agree that the L3 cache looks yummy on bulldozer but until reviews come out, Sandy bridge might be just as good at 3.3ghz or Bulldozer is at 3.8ghz
I learned the moment that Core2 came out to not trust clock speeds for comparision anymore. Its all about the underlying architecture.
Hopefully Bulldozer will be well designed so it can drive intel prices down so i can get the 2600k LOL

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Core Speed =/= Performance.

Even though bulldozer, on paper, looks mightily impressive. Until real world benchmarks come out, for all we know it might equal or beat the first and maybe (BIG MAYBE) even the second generation Core processors but we won't know. Until then, saying the new AMD processors are better than the current sandy bridge processors is really just useless rhetoric aimed at baiting people to intel vs amd flame wars.

Architecture is the most important thing for any processor and until we see trusted reviews from many of the major tech websites alongside thorough testing, Intel i5-2500k/2600K's are still the fastest processors out there for the consumer.

doyletdude

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
-.- intel fanboy

LOL, Well yes actually I am an Intel Fanboy, used to be AMD fanboy until Core2Duo E6600 blew my mind and I've bought Intel since than.
But you missed my point, I'm saying Bulldozer could easily kill Sandy Bridge for all we know, especially on a price per performance ratio.
My point was you can't conclude that from just clock speeds, its all about whats underneath.
I'm also saying that I hope Bulldozer rocks Intels socks off, because that would be good for intel, whom have had the performance crown for a long time now and competition breeds innovation and price drops.
And if Bulldozer is so good that 2600k drops in price, i'll drop my i7-920 and get it :D

cbrunnem

Distinguished

agreed.

you can look at it like this also. a race between a semi and a camaro. volvo is introducing a semi motor that produces about 700 hp and about 2300 ft-lb of torque and the camaro has about 400 of each. if you go off just those numbers you would think that the semi would win but that is just not the case because you have to look more into just the power numbers.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I have a intel q6600 quad atm but I dont like it all that much. :(

doyletdude

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

Well yeah, nowadays it ain't all that impressive and I would highly recommend an upgrade. And if you can wait for Bulldozer to come out, no matter what you decide to buy, you will buy knowing all the facts and what the best deal is. Hell, you could end up getting a 2500k if it turned out to be better performance per dollar.

But back in 2007, the q6600 was one heck of a CPU, and for flat out gaming, the E6600 (Core2 not pentium) when it was released in august 2006, was EPIC!

Seriously? Thats a great CPU. I have one with a HD5870 and still play every game maxed. Just finished my third run of Deus Ex Human Revolution.

As for the 4XXX BDs, I don't think they will quite edge out a 2500K. AMDs top end 8150 is priced at $266, just a bit above the 2500K and just under the 2600K. Thats where the performance will be for it and its a 8 core.

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
i dont know but im getting a Bulldozer cpu even if its faster than sandy bridge or not. as long as its faster than phenom II then im cool.

im more stoked for the HD79xx series with that XDR2 son. but lets not get carried away with this though.

i like how easily the Bulldozers overclock.

i would take the i5 2500k as i have yet to see what BD has to offer. Judging that the 8 core model is going for a similar price to the 2500k, i think per-core performance is expected to be lower, therefore, worse for gaming. I would not hesitate to get an i5 2500k right now if i had the money, at lieast till i see an actual benchmark of the AMD CPU's, you would have to be a complete moron to pre-order one without knowing what its performance would be like.

Maksym

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008

As much as I want to agree with you, I want to be as objective as possible, and, at this point, will say that I will wait for benchmarks to make that call.

In the computer industry, it is not enough to just compare the clock frequency and size of cache.

Number wise, you are solid, the FX-4120 beats Intel i5 in each of the categories you have listed, but that's not the whole story.

Zero_

Distinguished
I'm expecting the FX4120 to sit closer to the i5 2300 performance wise (or maybe just below), while being $20 cheaper.

That sounds more like what AMD does. Small difference in performance for a large difference in price.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I play at 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.