Which NAS ? (permissions)

Statik_007

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
I've been searching this site but haven't found the particular answer I need.

I'm looking to buy a NAS device to store family photos and documents. I would also like to incorporate the device into my backup routine, so I think I would like the ability to automatically backup the NAS to an attached USB (better ideas are welcome too). Any recommendations? ReadyNAS duo? Pogoplug?

3 computers (all PC), 7GB of data. I'm willing to spend somewhere around $200, more if the requirements demand it but I think my requirements are low enough to make this price reasonable.

Must have features:
- the ability to have "contribute" access for all, with one admin account with write/delete access. One user in particular is not very computer savvy and has a habit of accidentally deleting folders.
- must work with CrashPlan
- must not directly attach to my computers. I prefer a direct connection to my wireless router (802.11g) over a total wireless connection.

Don't care features:
- links for grandma to browse the picture library from across the country
- social media uploading
- torrent downloading
- streaming to iPhone/blackberry
- Mac integration (all PCs in the house currently)

I think I want a device with user-upgradable HDDs, but I'm not convinced it's needed yet.

I don't think I need RAID since I will store the files on the NAS, but also have local (USB) and off-site (Crashplan) backups.

Please help.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
just to clarify, you want a crashplan-compatible wireless NAS device, drive(s) for it, and an external USB drive all for $200?

why must the NAS be wireless? why not just put it beside the router and wire it in?

Statik_007

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011

No, it doesn't need to be wireless, just not directly attached to any of the computers. In fact I would prefer to wire it into the router. And I have an external HDD already, but in the case of Pogoplug I would need an additional one (one to share one to backup). In the case of the ReadyNAS my current external should suffice (internal to share, external to backup).

As for the price, I was looking for $200ish.
- ReadyNAS Duo is $140 after rebate, plus a 1TB Caviar Green HDD puts the price right around $200.
- PogoPlug is $50, plus extra external HDD puts the total below $200.
- Seagate Blackarmor 220 (2 x 1TB) is $229

What I don't know is which option allows "contribute" access and works with Crashplan (and I'm sure there are options I don't know about).

Also, I have an old router (circa 2007). I'm assuming that streaming won't be very effective, but will simple photo/document sharing be reasonable or is it time to upgrade to gigabit?

Thanks for the question though. I should have been more clear.