Choosing Power Supply, bit of a novice.

Last response: in Components
December 9, 2009 2:28:11 AM

I need a PSU for this build

Nforce 680i SLI
9800 GTX
E6600 cpu
4gb of ram

I've read brand is important, so I'm trying to get the cheapest psu possible while still maintaining a moderately decent brand, to avoid Pc explosions. I have no idea what a decent brand is though, nor do I have any idea what wattage I need.
December 9, 2009 3:18:23 AM

I'm getting really confused. I asked another website they said anything from 450 up is fine. which seems odd to me, nvidia says the 9800gtx takes a 450 watt psu, so I assume it would need to be a bit higher.

guys at circuit city, frys and microcenter all told me I need a 700, which seems too high. Isn't like 700ish what people use for modern builds? like i5/7 5770, etc? I would assume I could go a little lower for this slightly out of date build.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2009 3:41:24 AM

civic said:
guys at circuit city, frys and microcenter all told me I need a 700, which seems too high.

That's complete garbage. The 9800gtx will peak ~ 265w. They obviously were trying to sell you more than you need.

This OCZ 550w would be perfect for your system. It's very well priced, and will give you plenty of headroom.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2009 3:44:10 AM

saint19 said:
http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

I think that with a good 500W PSU like Coolermaster, Thermaltake or Antec is anough

Coolermaster and Thermaltake aren't known for high quality PSUs.

The best brands are PC Power & Cooling, corsair, seasonic, Antec, and OCZ.
m
l
December 9, 2009 3:48:54 AM

aford10 said:
will give you plenty of headroom.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I guess I should mention that this pc is going to my mom. She will be using it for gaming, not nothing crazy like crysis. Just stuff like zombie shooter, world of warcraft, diablo 3 when it comes out, etc. It's not going to be upgraded or oced or anything, ever. No new sound cards or anything.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2009 3:53:26 AM

civic said:
I guess I should mention that this pc is going to my mom. She will be using it for gaming, not nothing crazy like crysis. Just stuff like zombie shooter, world of warcraft, diablo 3 when it comes out, etc. It's not going to be upgraded or oced or anything, ever. No new sound cards or anything.

That's fine. Overclocking, soundcards, extra hard drives/optical drives...etc...those things don't use much wattage. The extra headroom is for that small amount of possible increase. But more importantly, PSUs lose output over time. The extra wattage is helpful as the PSU ages and decreases in performance. That PSU should power the system for years to come.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 9, 2009 4:17:12 AM

GEEZ!

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power an overclocked system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 9, 2009 4:22:11 AM

Corsair VX450W is enough for you.
m
l
December 9, 2009 8:58:31 AM

So you guys don't like the Rosewill? I really hate dealing with mail in rebates.
m
l
a c 121 ) Power supply
December 9, 2009 9:13:55 AM

If it has a little red voltage switch on it, at best it is an older, inefficient design, and at worst it is a piece of garbage. The "700W" PSUs those guys were trying to sell you were probably the sort of garbage that is only good for a fraction of the labeled rating, so yeah you would "need" one that big. Drones...
Although I'm partial to Antec myself (and Seasonic), the brands JonnyLucky mentioned are all solid. If you have an interest in what makes a good PSU, and how nasty a bad one can be, read some of the PSU articles and reviews at www.hardwaresecrets.com and www.jonnyguru.com.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 9, 2009 10:49:05 AM

Rosewill has a very poor performance record. When they were first introduced they were to be avoided at all costs. They were heavily bashed in the pc forums. There have been some half hearted attempts at improving the quality of their power supplies and their reputation. Currently they have a very very small number of power supplies that are actually okay. Their appeal to the masses is their low prices. Unfortunately that also means low quality.
m
l
December 9, 2009 11:20:53 AM

Yeah, that's what I've been reading. It just seems like on that particular model, according to all of the reviews they may have gotten it right this time. At least to a moderate degree, which is why I was a bit confused.
m
l
!