lebaneseguy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
hey guys my sister has a hp pavilion a767c its an intel pentium 4, 200gb hd, 1.5gb ram, and a x300 radeon. Well the problem started when she was trying to put in a cord in the back she accidently pulled out the power cord to the comp, so she puts the power cord back in and trys to start up the computer but all it does is reboot windows in a constant loop, it goes to the microsoft symbol with the loading bar under and stays there for 15 sec then it will start over. I am unable to go into the bios or safemode without it rebooting and now it wont show video signal. Id appreciate any help thanks :D

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Pulling out the power cord shouldn't damage the PC, it's the same as pulling the plug from the wall and I know from experience that that doesn't do any damage.

I suspect your PSU and/or motherboard have somehow been damaged, though I don't understand why.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006

Any hardware damage, at least. But that reasoning is still unsound: I've never had a gun misfire; therefore, they don't.

OP: Try removing and reseating all add-on cards and unplugging from the system all extraneous hardware (you said she was plugging in a "cord", which I assume means a "cable"). Verify too that all fans - CPU, case fans, graphics card - come on.
Also, elaborate on this statement: "I am unable to go into the bios ... without it rebooting".

(Over the past month, i've run across 4 client systems that failed to boot into safe mode due to virus damage; a standalone bootable tools disk is handy in such situations).

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Actually I've done it more times than I can count on my dad's old machine that kept freezing up during shutdown or whenever he landed himself on an infected website, that was in the PIII era (so if older tech can take that kind of abuse...) and yes, of course (decent) PSU's have built in protection against this, otherwise your PC would fry with every power outage...
But it's possible the OP's sister ripped out other cables at the same time or physically damaged the PSU's power socket.