How do I install a new fan for my heatsink?

hunter1801

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
I bought a Cogage True Spirit heatsink and it came with a stock fan. If you are familiar with the Cogage (or even Thermalright heatsinks like the 120) they attach the fans with 2 wire clips that clip into the holes on the side of the fan. Here is a link where you can see what I'm talking about:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9403/?campid=bmr

The problem I have is that I bought a Yate Loon fan to replace the stock fan on the heatsink and the holes are covered up/inaccessible, so the clips can't hold it.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6174/?campid=bmr

The picture on the website for the Yate Loon shows the holes in the right place (if you look at the second picture that is tilted sideways). The fan that I got, although it is the right fan, has the holes covered, so I can't clip the wire holder on.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about or have a way to hook up this fan? I can try to take pictures of mine so you know what I mean better.

TheViper

Distinguished
Lay the fan on a flat surface. Clamp it down if you can. Take a drill with a bit about the same size as the hole and go to work.

If they are just covered over (not really filled in) than bust through it with a phillips head screwdriver.

hunter1801

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
They cant reach any further than the front holes like they are initially designed to do. I was thinking of cutting the tubes. I can definitely do it, but I was wondering how it might affect fan performance, if at all.

dmanno

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Have you solved this problem? I just purchased the same Cogage True Spirit and Yate Loon fan with the same issue. I installed the fan that came with the heatsink for now, but would like to swap it out with one of the Yate Loons that I purchased! Did you cut the tubes?

On another note, anyone know where I can get more fan clips? Does Frys or other retailers sell those? I bought two fans for push/pull but the Cogage only comes with one set of clips.

hunter1801

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
I haven't actually done it yet, but that's because I'm lazy haha. I still plan on cutting them. I found a site that explained how to do it. Basically just cut the top and bottom of the tube, then use plyers to crush the tube.

dmanno

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I ended up using zip-ties. I put a zip tie through the hole in the fan corner and through the heatsink fins to the other fan's corner hole, connected another zip tie on the end, tightened it and then clipped the excess off. It worked and was easier than hacking the tubes apart, plus I didn't have to buy another fan clip since the zip ties held both fans on.