Stock i7 920 & prime95 failures

moonshine1255

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Hello,

I am new to computers and built my first one a few days ago. After doing some reading I have learned I should test my stablization with prime95. Everything is stock, nothing is overclocked. All bios have been updated, windows 7 has been updated, and all drivers have been updated.

I ran coretemp to measure my cpu temps.
I ran prime95 to test it.

After about 3-5 minutes the comptuer will crash to a blue screen. It only stays up for a moment so I can't read what it says. I believe it says a million things plus "memory dump".

I do not know if this is enough information to help you help me. Again, please excuse the ignorance, but I am trying to learn on my own. Specs are below:

i7 920 cpu
ocz 1600 ddr3 ram (triple channel 6gb)
ATI 4890 GPU
cosair 750 PSU
Asrock Extreme MB

Thanks for the guidance. If more info is needed, please tell me what that would be and I will add it. Thank you again.

I ran into the same problem when I was trying for a 3.2Ghz OC on my Q6600. Might be Windows 7 itself not liking Prime95. I even put my voltage quite a bit above what I need to run my Q6600 at 3GHz, set my memory timings to spec and the memory voltage was at spec (2.1v).

As I said, it might just be Windows 7 itself.

moonshine1255

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
My temps in the 4 minutes that it ran were 74 max at 100% load. Of course they dropped as load dropped.

Also, it is a antec 900 case with plenty of cooling going on.

Not sure what a memory test is. What would that be?

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
for memtest86 the boot cd has to be an image. don't just copy the file onto a cd.

I have the same problem, although I have an older system. What did it for me was the ram speed (I have a northbridge, so my memcontroller is on the motherboard). I had to lower my ram speed down to 1067 MHz in order to pass everything. Even though I have 1600 speed ram.

Another good test was inteltest I think it is...good stress test for the CPU